• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tree well death at Whitefish

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Extract:
A Kalispell man died Friday after falling into a tree well just beyond the ski area boundary at Whitefish Mountain Resort (WMR), prompting a search-and-rescue effort that ended in tragedy, according to local law enforcement officials and a resort spokesperson.

On Friday, Feb. 26, at approximately 12:05 p.m., WMR Ski Patrol was dispatched to a reported tree-well incident “outside of the ski area boundary,” according to a statement WMR released Friday, although a resort spokesperson said she was still trying to determine the precise location. Ski patrollers searched the area where the individual had last been seen and discovered the victim around 1:35 p.m.

First responders performed CPR and attempted to resuscitate the victim at the scene before transporting him to North Valley Hospital’s Base Lodge Clinic, which is located at the base of the ski area.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
RIP my man. I just read the tree well story in general skiing and was shaken. It only takes so little to turn a good time tragic.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I've heard some SCARY first hand stories of people falling into tree wells and pulling themselves out by a miracle. Again, SCARY. I try not to think too hard about it when I'm crashing the trees, but it's always on my mind.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
His name was released.

I've been spelling the name of that ridge wrong.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sad :(

Sponsor