• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek 2018 X-Caliber 8 Drivetrain questions

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I purchased this bike a few years ago to use as a way to increase cardio, mainly use on private roads and local fire trails/easy single tracks. I am all about the "up" and cross country. Admittedly I am not as knowledgeable about bike tech but I do know that my drive train has always had issues as my DH bought the same bike a few months after I bought mine, but in the 2019 version. The feel and responsiveness of his drive train is much better, despite being identical in description with the only execption that I can find on paper being the Front derailleur 2018 Shimano Deore M6020 vs. 2019 Shimano Deore M617.

Here are the archived stats on the bike https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/21577/.
Drivetrain 2018 Shifters Shimano Deore M6000, 10 speed Front derailleur Shimano Deore M6020 Rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT, Shadow Crank
Race Face Ride, 36/22 Bottom bracket Sealed cartridge Cassette Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10 speed Chain KMC X10

While I love the customer service I get at the Trek shop I feel like I'm taking it in now every 3 months for the same issues of dropped gears / mis-shifting. During one of the initial services they commented that the original chain had 2 "end" links. I'm wondering if this created some type of issue?

For reference, I don't ride that much, but am now averaging 2-3 times per week 45 mins to 1.5 hours. I do clean and lube the chain. Last week I cleaned the chain and that was a mistake, as the dropping / mis shifting became worse and I'll be taking it in again.

I understand that there are multiple issues that can cause the dropped gears/mis shift. I like the bike, it works for me, I'm just frustrated that it is not reliable and annoying with the dropped/ mis-shifting and needing constant tuning vs my DH's bike which does not. Last service was a full cleaning / adjustment with new cables and multiple test rides to make sure it was good to go. That was 3 months ago. I appreciate any thoughts on the following: Is this amount of maintenance normal? Is it time to replace / upgrade what I have? Learn to tune my own bike? Change out the system completely? The new X-caliber's are now 1x. Thanks.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Eh, 10sp is slightly trickier to adjust than 8, 9 but should totally be doable. Check for stupid things like bent hangers and missing cassette shims.

Check the drivetrain for wear, replace as needed. No need to go 1x unless you conceptually hate working the front rings.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Can't see your bike so this is all speculation. Typically Shimano drivetrains are relatively maintenance free. I've done many many bikes and rarely have I had to readjust after an initial readjustment after cables seat in. Most stay very rideable for years. Even dirty chains don't cause huge issues. Intermittent issues like yours are more often cable or derailleur related. As @cantunamunch says, bent der hanger can cause funny stuff. Sticky cables. Possibly b-screw adjustment.

Any competent shop should be able to sniff these out pretty quickly. I'm surprised you're having all these issues frankly..

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you @cantunamunch and @scott43. I appreciate your response b/c I'm just trying to figure out what is normal servicing based on my use and what I should expect. In retrospect, the last service was actually end of March, clean/ new cables, full adjustments/ brakes and a new tire. When I picked it up I rode it around the shop and for 10 mins I again had issue in low gear they adjusted. A tech then took it out and rode it for 15 mins, some minor adjustments and then I rode it for 15 mins up hill etc. It was ok for a few months then started dropping gears. Now its fully missing gears and dropping. I have looked it over to see if there were obvious issues with chain/sprockets etc but I didn't notice anything out of place as far as I could tell. FWIW Since March I have only transported the bike for a ride once, I do have to transport for service. I am very careful loading into the back of my SUV. Bike is stored and not tossed around, I'm not rock hopping or stump jumping. I too am surprised as DH's bike has always shifted like butttttter, mine from the start was never like his. I called the shop today, discussed same issues occurring, I will take it in tomorrow. Just trying to figure out if my bike is "extra special" or if all bikes needs this much servicing.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I ride hard off-road and I measure my drivetrain adjustments in years... And it's SRAM at the moment which is more problematic than Shimano typically. I occasionally add or subtract a quarter turn on my adjuster if I sense something is slightly off but almost always it's not and it's just me. Honestly, your DH's bike is far more typical I would say. I would say your bike is "special". Perhaps kick up a fuss and get their best tech on it. There are many small things that can cause some issues. Alignment, cable ferrules and routing, too much cable lube, not enough cable lube. Two join links in the chain is a red flag for me. Chains come pre-installed and the factory generally doesn't do stuff like that. So that's weird. Is it the correct chain for the drivetrain? Is it installed in the correct direction? Some are directional and can affect noise and performance. But to have a good gear selection then lose it..that's very unusual.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
3 years of use on the original chain? It's prolly time to replace it. Personal opinion, stick a shimano chain on it instead of a KMC. I had a maddeningly inconsistent to replicate gear shifting on my back up cross bike this year. Even though the chain measured out as not worn out yet, I replaced it an all my problems went away again.

Looks like it's a QR rear wheel. Triple check to make sure the axel is fully seated in the drop outs when you close the QR, you can get some shifting weirdness if it's not fully seated.

Sponsor

Staff online