• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trend in discounts for age

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dated from 2 winters ago.

seniors ski for free 2020
StateResortAge Require ment
ArizonaArizona Snow Bowl70+
ArizonaMount Lemmon70+
CaliforniaMountain High80+
CaliforniaSnow Valley80+
CaliforniaBear Mt.80+
CaliforniaJune Mt.80+
CaliforniaMammoth80+
CaliforniaSnow Summit80+
CaliforniaSquaw Valley/Alpine Meadows80+
CaliforniaDodge Ridge82+
CaliforniaAlta Sierra90+
ColoradoCranor62+
ColoradoMonarch69+
ColoradoSki Hesperus70+
ColoradoCooper80+
ColoradoPurgatory80+
ColoradoSunlight80+
ColoradoWolf Creek80+
ColoradoTelluride80+
IdahoBald Mt.70+
IdahoSchweitzer80+
New MexicoCloudcroft70+
New MexicoRed River70+
New MexicoSki Apache.70+
New MexicoSandia Peak72+
New MexicoSanta Fe72+
New MexicoPajarito75+
New MexicoAngel Fire75+
New MexicoSipapu75+
New MexicoTaos80+
OregonAnthony Lakes70+
OregonCooper Spur70+
OregonMt. Ashland70+
OregonMt. Hood Ski Bowl71+
OregonSummit Ski Timberline71+
OregonMt. Hood Meadows75+
UtahNordic Valley75+
UtahPowder Mt.75+
UtahAlta80+
WashingtonBluewood70+
WashingtonWhite Pass73+
WashingtonCrystal Mt.80+
WashingtonMt. Spokane80+
Washington49 Degrees N80+
WashingtonStevens Pass90+
WyomingHogadon70+
WyomingJackson Hole70+
WyomingSnowy Range70+
Jackson Hole free for 70+ is not true now (there is a modest discount for 65+) and I doubt it was two years ago.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Not related to this discussion, but I've always rolled my eyes at the line of seniors being on "fixed incomes". In reality, the vast majority of people are on fixed incomes.

Relatively few people in today's world can decide to work extra at their jobs for more money.
Generally, you can work extra shifts, pick up second jobs, change to new jobs, get promoted, get a raise, etc. as long as you are in the active labor force. The average SS check in Montana is $17,379.96. (Now I'm sure that those guys aren't skiing. So maybe they also have a small pension which is worth less every year.)

In mountain towns, it's extremely common to have three to four jobs to support your habit. Most of those jobs don't come with 401(k) or a pension.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I am well off compared to a whole lot of seniors, but I still squint hard at the passes I buy. I get a $259 midweek at a local hill, an Epic Northeast, mid-week, senior pass for $279, and this year I bought an Ikon pass that I'll probably defer because of health-related cancellation of trips out West.

Without the senior (and mid-week [read: retired] discount, I certainly wouldn't have three passes! I am working weekends at a ski shop for a little extra money and something fun to do. I truly feel for the folks squeaking by on Social Security and a little savings.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Aspen has a deep discounted pass for 70+ at $549 purchased in the spring. Last season if purchased at the start or during the season it was $849. For 2012-22, the Super Senior Pass is $599 if purchased mid season.

In B.C deep discounts start at some resorts at age 75. Red Mtn.=$25CAD, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Pass is $95CAD and includes Kicking Horse, Fernie, Kimberly, Nakiska. Whitewater=free.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of mine recently wrote to Deer Valley for relief because while he turns 65 before the season starts it's after the low price deadline. He received a response politely denying his request with a nicely worded explanation and a complement on one of his new rides he'd posted on FB at a recent European exotic car show.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
The idea that skiing seniors are "wealthy" isn't true. Maybe in some cases, but for us "working class" seniors we are on fixed and limited incomes. A low senior pass price keeps us on the slopes, especially at today's high day pass price.
I can't believe anyone would describe today's pass prices as high. Has it ever been cheaper (scaled for inflation) to be a regular skier?

I don't have much sympathy for local seniors. Poor people are on a "fixed income". They have the option to go get a job to increase that income. That is not a luxury that we all have. And I do consider the vast majority of them to be wealthy. Some quick Google-fu suggests 79.3% of seniors own their homes. I live in a county where the median value for all homes is $916k and single family are $1.39M . And two thirds of these have no mortgage. I'm supposed to feel badly for these people?

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A friend of mine recently wrote to Deer Valley for relief because while he turns 65 before the season starts it's after the low price deadline. He received a response politely denying his request with a nicely worded explanation and a complement on one of his new rides he'd posted on FB at a recent European exotic car show.

That turning 65 in the wrong month happened to me as well. :rolleyes:

Turned out it didn't matter as covid meant no northern winter for us last year. Which is way worse than paying a bit more for the pass. :(

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Generally, you can work extra shifts, pick up second jobs, change to new jobs, get promoted, get a raise, etc. as long as you are in the active labor force. The average SS check in Montana is $17,379.96. (Now I'm sure that those guys aren't skiing. So maybe they also have a small pension which is worth less every year.)

In mountain towns, it's extremely common to have three to four jobs to support your habit. Most of those jobs don't come with 401(k) or a pension.
Retired seniors have way more extra time to work than non-seniors. If you're healthy enough to ski, you're clearly healthy enough to work.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Retired seniors have way more extra time to work than non-seniors. If you're healthy enough to ski, you're clearly healthy enough to work.
Nice sound bite. But if you're skiing you can go home when you're tired or not go at all if the alarm goes off and you're feeling your age. Unless you're self-employed, your boss wants you to show up and put in a day's work. There used to be a couple in their 80's hobbling into the lockerroom using canes. Apparently for them skiing was easier than walking. They stuck to the green runs and only stayed for an hour or two. Personally, my annual vertical has been plummeting every year and every year the first day is tougher. Next season I'll qualify as a Super Senior, but if the pass weren't getting cheaper I would hang up my skis. I barely got my breakeven last year and shelling out for a daily ticket is a non-starter. If they sold hourly blocks, like in Europe, I'd be all about that.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't believe anyone would describe today's pass prices as high. Has it ever been cheaper (scaled for inflation) to be a regular skier?

I don't have much sympathy for local seniors. Poor people are on a "fixed income". They have the option to go get a job to increase that income. That is not a luxury that we all have. And I do consider the vast majority of them to be wealthy. Some quick Google-fu suggests 79.3% of seniors own their homes. I live in a county where the median value for all homes is $916k and single family are $1.39M . And two thirds of these have no mortgage. I'm supposed to feel badly for these people?
Yeah, if you're lucky enough that an IKON pass makes sense for you, it's dirt cheap. I was just checking lift ticket prices for next year around the Poconos...a daily Shawnee Mtn weekend ticket is $80 next year...for what, 500+ vertical? Must be nice to live out in the Rockies in an area of relative wealth. So what?? Not everyone is in the position you describe. According to you, I guess I'm poor...

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since the Blue Mtn/Camelback situation most closely affected me, here's my take: it used to be seniors over 65 got a very cheap mid-week pass. The lodges were pretty much empty there until about 2-3 pm when the school buses rolled up. So the seniors skied in the morning and had there little "coffee klatches" as they got to know one another over time. Spent a little time skiing, but probably just as much time over coffee and a danish (or whatever). This past year, Camelback was never NOT busy during the week, I sometimes saw liftlines nearly as bad as a typical weekend. I bet management saw this, and decided they no longer needed to offer an incentive for seniors as they could sell regular season passes at a higher price, and the lodges were busy selling food. Sour grapes? You bet. Sucks when you look forward to something and it's taken away.

Doesn't matter all that much anyway...this will be my last season in the Poconos.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

Have you tried to get a job in your field after the age of 50? 60? For most of us, it's a non-starter. If your field involved manual labor, your body is likely worn out by the time you retire. If you really need the money, you'll have to work a lot of hours to pad meager SS payments.

I am lucky enough not to need the money to survive. I work Friday-Sunday at the ski shop, for fun and a few extra dollars. Once I took on a Thursday. We were working very hard, fitting rental boots and adjusting bindings all day. (Lifting up skis, turning the screws, pushing boots into bindings is hard physical work for me.) After four days, I slept most of Monday, and still felt tired on Tuesday. My arthritic hands were sore and I couldn't open a new bottle of medicine.

Your comment is short-sighted.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Let's see how badly you want to work when you finally get to retirement age.
Agreed, but it's no easier than a guy on salary working his butt off on and off regular hours, hustling to get his kids to sports or other activities.

We're all on fixed incomes.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agreed, but it's no easier than a guy on salary working his butt off on and off regular hours, hustling to get his kids to sports or other activities.

We're all on fixed incomes.
Been there, done that. When my kids were young, I had the money to take them on ski vacations. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can pay for a solo trip. When I was working for a living, I had less concern about conserving money than I do now. Now I have to worry about making my money last for the next, what...maybe 20 years? My brother is 84, and my uncle lived to 100. Social Security doesn't hand out raises very often. You keep saying we're all on fixed incomes, but it's definitely different knowing that what you have has to last. And yes, I plan to probably work a little for my "fun" money. But not unless I have to. Unless you manage to retire with your house paid off (I didn't) and a ton of money in the bank (I didn't), you'll have a different view of the situation when you get there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is said that if they did, they would go broke.
Considering that Sinclair Oil owns Sun Valley, I don't think thats the case. From what I understand, profit has never been the motivation for the resorts.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Considering that Sinclair Oil owns Sun Valley, I don't think thats the case. From what I understand, profit has never been the motivation for the resorts.

I was referring more to the age of the skiers (a lot of older folks, including me), than to the company financials.

Sponsor

Staff online