• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Vantage 97 C W
Dimensions: 128.5-97-117.5
Radius: 17m@164cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172
Size tested: 164
Design: All New

This is a new ski for Atomic this year. It shouldn’t turn as quickly as it does and still have the off-piste power that it does. I took it into some moguls off the top of the gondola and was inspired to pop a little air off a roller or two. Atomic delivers a really nice sweet spot when coming out of a turn.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a good daily driver with an off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who wants to spend their day on groomers.
  • Insider tip: For a bit more ski, look at the Ti version.

DPS Uschi Foundation 87
Dimensions: 127-87-108
Radius: 15m@165cm
Sizes: 157, 165, 171, 178
Size tested: 165

Much like its baby sister the Uschi 82, the Uschi 87 is a great all-mountain ski that skis extremely well all over the mountain, busting through crud without a care in the world and making moguls fun. While it doesn’t turn quite as quickly as the Uschi 82, the edge hold won’t let you down when you’re cruising groomers back to the base.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a great off-piste ski for the whole mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a crazy carver.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something a little more frontside-oriented, look to the Uschi 82 or Cassiar A79 Alchemist.

Dynastar Legend W84
Dimensions: 122-84-105
Radius: 15m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170
Length tested: 163, 170
Design: Carryover

This was a surprise ski for me at the Mammoth test. I'm not sure what I expected, but the Legend W84 stepped up with everything I threw at it. While it's not considered a frontside ski, it turned nicely, with surprisingly nice tip engagement, and made the mid-morning moguls a joy. My only regret was that I didn't have more time to take it for a couple more runs.
  • Who is it for? An advanced, or advancing intermediate, skier looking for an all-mountain sweetheart.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a ho-hum experience.
  • Insider tip: Don't overthink the length: I enjoyed both the 163 and 170.

Dynastar Legend W88
Dimensions: 125-88-106
Radius: 15m@166cm
Sizes: 159, 166, 173

Immediately after I skied the Legend W84, I took the 88 out for a spin and was equally impressed with how much fun it was in the varied snow conditions we started to experience just before lunch. It's hard to believe that a ski can conquer steep moguls and still feel so nimble when you're ready to dial it back. While the Legend W88 doesn't turn quite as quickly as its sister the W84, it was plenty quick when I needed to make the quick decision to change direction.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a nimble all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a groomer-biased ski.
  • Insider tip: This ski comes flat or with a system binding.

Dynastar Legend W96
Dimensions: 132-96-112
Radius: 15m@178cm
Sizes: 158, 165, 171

Dynastar brought the Legend series back in 2017-18, and since it can be challenging to find the right size ski to review in the first year of a series, these skis didn't get the attention they deserved from me. Fortunately, I have had the pleasure of spending some extensive time on the Legend W96, and I do mean pleasure.

I'm not sure if it's the five-point sidecut, or the tip and tail rocker that makes this ski so easy to ski. Or maybe it's the Powerdrive, which Dynastar touts as groundbreaking technology that gives this ski grip and smooth, instinctive, responsive ski control. What I do know is that I have spent several days on this ski at a variety of mountains, in a variety of conditions, and I feel like I can't do anything wrong when I'm on it. The Powerdrive offers torsional grip when you want to make a turn, while the five-point sidecut and tip rocker give that extra pop and playfulness that you need when you're taking on spring crud.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for an all-mountain charger that won't let her down.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Bernice.
  • Insider tip: If you're between sizes, don't be afraid to go up a size.

Fischer My Pro MTN 86
Dimensions: 127-86-114
Radius: 15m@161cm
Sizes: 147, 154, 161, 168
Size tested: 168

Much like its predecessor the Koa, Fisher’s My ProMTN 86 is nimble, stable, and just plain fun, making a great transition from groomers to moguls. The area that it surprised me most was when I encountered some spring-like crud and the Fischer blew right through it. While it's not a carving ski, edge hold was good when I took it into some scraped-off areas.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a good all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? A woman who doesn’t like to have fun.
  • Insider tip: For a little more off-piste orientation, look at the Fischer Ranger.

Head Monster 83
Dimensions: 130-82-109
Radius: 15.4m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Length tested: 170cm

The Head Monster 83 is a ski that has never been on my radar to review, if for no other reason than its a unisex ski that has had a lot of coverage from other Pugski testers, and I've always had a big list of women specific skis to get through. This year I made a point to get on a few unisex skis, starting with the Monster 83 which proved to be fun, quick turning, and stable in a variety of conditions, from the refrozen conditions at the top of Mammoth to the softening conditions near the base. I have a new appreciation for the Monster 83 for men and women alike.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a quick turning, stable ski in a variety of conditions
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a nimble cruiser
  • Insider tip: Ladies don't be afraid to give it a try if you're looking for a strong, stable, all-mountain ski.

Icelantic Maiden 91

Dimensions: 126-91-116
Radius: 14.5m@162cm
Sizes: 155, 162, 169
Size tested: 169

This was the first ski of the day for no other reason than I was skiing with @dean_spirito and he was starting on Icelantic. Being a new model for Icelantic, the Maiden 91 is filling a spot on the women’s side of the wall that we’re seeing from more manufacturers. One notable thing about the ski is the burly construction intended to withstand the abuse of rails and big air. Where it lacked in edge hold with a 1°/1° park tune, it excelled in making quick moves and schmearing the tails.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an all-mountain ski that will hold up to the test of time.
  • Who is it not for? A finesse skier looking for precise turns.
  • Insider tip: Put a 1°/2° tune on it for more versatility.

Icelantic Oracle 88

Dimensions: 126-88-108
Radius: 16m@162cm
Sizes: 155, 162, 169
Size tested: 169
Design: Carryover/NGT

This is not the first time I've been on the Oracle 88. This is the ski I remembered from past experiences, an interesting mix of solid construction and soft-snow playfulness. Other skis in this category have a bit of an on-piste bias, but the Oracle doesn't pretend to be a groomer ski. It clearly enjoys exploring off piste and park. Were I to buy this ski, I would change the factory tune, which feels like a 1.5/2 to a 1/2.
  • Who is it for? The female who wants to go off piste but on the narrower side.
  • Who is it not for? The skier looking for a damp, precise ski.
  • Insider tip: To get more early-morning groomer fun, change up the factory tune.

Liberty Genesis 106
Dimensions: 138-106-128
Radius: 15m@164cm
Sizes: 157. 164, 171
Size tested: 171
Design: NGT

This is a ski that I shouldn’t have taken out in the conditions we were skiing, but I really really wanted to try it. Conditions were low snow, groomers, some skied-out crud. I liked the flex and overall performance of this ski, but she needs me to take her out on a powder day.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a versatile powder ski.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer Greta.
  • Insider tip: Prepare yourself for fun.

Rossignol Experience 84 W
Dimensions: 126-84-116
Radius: 12m@160cm
Sizes: 144, 152, 160, 168
Size tested: 160

The Rossignol Experience 84 W name has replace a long time favorite Temptation 84 for intermediate women who are looking for a front side ski to take them to the next level. This new name comes with a new shape and construction that brings that same skier a bigger sweet spot and an overall better Experience.
  • Who is it for? The intermediate skier looking to advance
  • Who is it not for? The expert skier looking for a hard charger.
  • Insider tip: This ski comes flat as well as with a system binding.

Rossignol Experience 88 W
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166

After several years of Temptation, the ladies are getting a whole new Experience from Rossignol. That's right, the Temptation name is a thing of the past along with the old shape and construction. The 2019 Rossignol Experience W is being introduced with a big change in sidecut, offering a bigger sweet spot and more versatility as a daily driver. I have had the pleasure of skiing on the Experience 88 W and Experience 84 W extensively in a variety of snow conditions. Where the old Temptation locked into a turn with crazy good edge hold, the new Experience W holds an edge without demanding a specific turn shape, and offers a playful experience in moguls and chopped up spring conditions. I must say, nearly everything I Experienced put a smile on my face.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful all-mountain ski
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a serious carver
  • Insider tip: These skis come flat or with system-mounted bindings.

Sego Gnarwhal 86
Dimensions: 129-86-109
Radius: 15m@165cm
Sizes: 149, 157, 165, 171
Size tested: 171

We’ve been asked about Sego skis a few times, so I sought them out to give them a shot. The rep explained the grass roots of the company and the passion behind its designs. They set me up on the Gnarwhal 86, which they proudly said goes up against the Black Pearl 88, a ski that I am extremely familiar with. One of the first things I noticed, besides the cool graphics, was the significant rise in the tip. I found turn initiation to be vague and edge hold lacking, but I could tell that someone playing off piste or in the park may like these characteristics. All in all, the customer for this ski is not the same as the customer for the Black Pearl 88.
  • Who is it for? Here is a unique ski with a story.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for easy tip initiation and confidence in edge hold.
  • Insider tip: Check the tune.

Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85

Dimensions: 129-85-113
Radius: 15.8m@168cm
Sizes: 154, 161, 168
Size tested: 168
Design: New Construction

This new rendition of the Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85 is a winner in my book. While the previous version of this ski was super fun and amazingly smooth, this version has all of that but with a slightly new shape to make turn initiation a little easier. There isn't much else to say except Stöckli smoothness always prevails.
  • Who is it for? A woman skier looking for an all-mountain ski with a premium feel from first chair to last call.
  • Who is it not for? It isn't budget-friendly unless you can find a killer end-of-season sale.
  • Insider tip: Enjoy!

Völkl Secret
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 16m@163cm
Size tested: 163

It's no secret that Völkl took the lead for women’s freeride skis back in 2006 when the Aura stole the hearts of women everywhere. But after more than 10 years and five different constructions, the Aura is no longer around. The all-new Secret, with a 92mm waist, piqued my interest for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that its shape is closer to my favorite version of the Aura, which was 94 mm wide. While the Secret is not a replacement for the Aura, it has a real chance of stealing the hearts of the women who started loving Völkl when they were introduced to the first Aura.

The day I had a chance to try the Secret was prime for asking a lot from a ski, with springlike conditions that varied from scraped-off snow to slush piles. The Secret was incredibly good at holding an edge and sliced through the slush effortlessly. The thing that stood out for me was the energy that I got out of it while powering through the spring crud. This Secret could be your weapon of choice as an all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a daily driver with energy and finesse.
  • Who is it not for? A woman looking for a damp cruiser.
  • Insider tip: The cat's out of the bag with this Secret.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Great reviews, Tricia. My wife recently demoed the Dynastar Legend W84 for half a day and absolutely loved it!! That's definitely her next ski purchase, so nice to see that you also enjoyed that ski.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Excellent reviews, @Tricia.

Nice to see that Dynastar has some great women’s skis this year!

Great reviews, Tricia. My wife recently demoed the Dynastar Legend W84 for half a day and absolutely loved it!! That's definitely her next ski purchase, so nice to see that you also enjoyed that ski.
Not just enjoyed the Dynastar, but thrilled by it. Its got potential to be one of my top pics when Phil asks me what to put in the car.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Not just enjoyed the Dynastar, but thrilled by it. Its got potential to be one of my top pics when Phil asks me what to put in the car.

Great to hear your additional thoughts on it. My wife spent half a day on it immediately followed by half a day on Blizzard Black Pearl 88. She actually liked the W84 Legend more than the vaunted Black Pearl!! The unfortunate part was that it was firm snow conditions that day with no opportunity to try it in softer snow Regardless, she liked it so much on firm snow that she's definitely getting a pair. Also just reinforced to us how important it is to demo. If you just go by the majority of reviews, it's almost no contest to just pick up a pair of Black Pearls. And here is this ski she tried with zero expectations and she immediately fell in love with it!

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As you know, I've been a big fan of the Black Pearl and Samba, now named the Black Pearl 98, and I still like them.
The Dynastar Legend W96 just seemed to take less effort to ski than the BP 98, which would imply that it won't charge well, but it did that too.

When I let @Pumba demo it, I had to watch her closely because I thought she was going to pack it in her ski bag

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am looking to replace my narrower ski that's 80 underfoot, and my original Black Pearls are old. Not sure if I'll replace both of my skis in the same year AND get new boots, but this is my short list for now:
Black Pearl 88
Fischer My Mtn 80 or 84
Dynastar Legend W84

I'm 5'2", but heavy. I wonder if with my weight, a shorter men's ski would serve me better. It would have to be about 159 cm.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am looking to replace my narrower ski that's 80 underfoot, and my original Black Pearls are old. Not sure if I'll replace both of my skis in the same year AND get new boots, but this is my short list for now:
Black Pearl 88
Fischer My Mtn 80 or 84
Dynastar Legend W84

I'm 5'2", but heavy. I wonder if with my weight, a shorter men's ski would serve me better. It would have to be about 159 cm.
Many of the women's skis are built the same as men's now, just different size runs. The Black Pearl 88, while not identical to the men's brahma, it was (the version you have) the same exact ski as the Bushwhacker.
The current Black Pearl 88 is not identical, but IMHO its just as strong.
IIRC the Black Pearl is your ski you use on snowy days. :huh:
If you like it and want a fresher version, I think you'll like the Black Pearl 88. If not, you should definitely look at the new Rossignol Experience 88, Legend 88, (maybe even the 98)W, or the K2 Alluvit 88Ti.
The Legend W 96 and Alluvit 88Ti will have more of a powder bias.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Völkl Secret
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 16m@163cm
Size tested: 163

It's no secret that Völkl took the lead for women’s freeride skis back in 2006 when the Aura stole the hearts of women everywhere. But after more than 10 years and five different constructions, the Aura is no longer around. The all-new Secret, with a 92mm waist, piqued my interest for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that its shape is closer to my favorite version of the Aura, which was 94 mm wide. While the Secret is not a replacement for the Aura, it has a real chance of stealing the hearts of the women who started loving Völkl when they were introduced to the first Aura.

The day I had a chance to try the Secret was prime for asking a lot from a ski, with springlike conditions that varied from scraped-off snow to slush piles. The Secret was incredibly good at holding an edge and sliced through the slush effortlessly. The thing that stood out for me was the energy that I got out of it while powering through the spring crud. This Secret could be your weapon of choice as an all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a daily driver with energy and finesse.
  • Who is it not for? A woman looking for a damp cruiser.
  • Insider tip: The cat's out of the bag with this Secret.

I'm stoked to add this to my list of reviews.
Völkl did a great job with this ski.