• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now that you've read about my thoughts on skinny skis in the Sub-73mm reviews, it's time to give the wider skis some attention.

Armada Trace 98
Dimensions: 130-98-121
Radius: 17.5m@172cm
Size tested: 172
Design: All New

This new lineup from Armada, which features its crystal mesh, is one of my surprises of the show. With the length that I skied and the 98mm waist, this ski was amazingly nimble, easy to turn, and extremely quick edge to edge. I can’t wait to get back on this one.
  • Who is it for? Me! But seriously, someone looking for a lightweight ski that covers the whole mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who seeks out groomers.
  • Insider tip: If you try it, you’ll want to buy it.

Armada Victa 93
Dimensions: 131-93-121
Radius: 18m@167cm
Size tested: 167
Design: New Construction

Being a big fan of the Victa 87Ti, I was eager to get on its big sister in the Victa 93. While the Victa 93 has the strength and power of the Victa 87Ti, I felt like I had to put a little extra effort into making tighter turns -- but then with a bigger waist, that’s how it should be.
  • Who is it for? A skier who’s looking for a powerful freeride ski.
  • Who is it not for? Timid skiers.
  • Insider tip: Point 'em and trust 'em.

Blizzard Black Pearl 78

Dimensions: 115-78-100
Radius: 16m@163cm
Size tested: 163

The narrower sister to the Black Pearl 88 is the Black Pearl 78. This is a ski that is not to be trifled with. While it is the skinnier, sassier sister, it's got plenty of punch to carve the groomers and enough pop to play in the moguls and toy with the trees. This is really one of the most playful skinny skis I’ve been on.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes a wider platform.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to go up a size.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Dimensions: 126-88-110
Radius: 14m@166cm
Size tested: 166

Blizzard has put grins on the faces of thousands of women with the Black Pearl since 2011 without making changes until it added carbon in 2017. This year they changed the shape slightly to give the Black Pearl 88 a slight edge and quicker turn shape. The good news is, they made a great ski better. The better news is, the people who like the original Black Pearl will find some of the familiarity but with more fun. Where I liked it better was in the moguls and trees, where the quicker turn shape gave me an extra little kick in the pants.
  • Who is it for? Advanced or intermediate skiers looking for a ski that will take on the whole mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is looking for the lodge.
  • Insider tip: Trust this ski.

Blizzard Black Pearl 98
Dimensions: 135-98-119
Radius: 15m@166cm
Size tested: 166

While Blizzard was working on the changes in the original Black Pearl, it followed through the entire Freeride lineup and renamed the skis by their width. The Black Pearl 98 takes the place of the Samba; a new shape and a bit of carbon add a little pop and a quicker turn shape makes a fun ski even better. I’ve had a few days on the Black Pearl 98 in a mix of groomers and soft fresh snow. Taking on the glades and moguls with this new friend put a smile on my face that didn’t go away. This ski promises to be my “do everything” ski.
  • Who is it for? An advanced skier looking for a wider daily driver.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer girls.
  • Insider tip: Prepare to smile.

Blizzard Sheeva 10
Dimensions: 131.5-102-121.5
Radius: 16m@172cm

Blizzard Sheeva 11

Dimensions: 139-112-129
Radius: 17.5m@172cm

The only thing that this Sheeva shares with the old Sheeva is the name. All new construction, all new shape, all new fun. My first turns on this ski were in a mix of powder and heavy snow at Snowbasin, with a bit of sticky snow at the base. After a few turns, I knew this was a whole new ski! Wow! This Sheeva cut through the heavy snow, made quick turns when needed, and allowed me to lay it over when getting into the sticky snow near the bottom of the mountain. At one point I stopped to ask @AmyPJ if I was laying it over as much as I felt like I was because I couldn’t believe it could do what I was doing. Later I got on the Sheeva 12, which is a bit wide for my taste, but I got the sense that it will do the same thing for a bigger or more aggressive skier with a wider profile.
  • Who is it for? Someone who’s looking for a powder ski that can be a one-ski quiver on a vacation.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who’s afraid to have fun.
  • Insider tip: If you’re between sizes, don’t be afraid to go up.

DPS Zelda 106 Foundation
Dimensions 133-106-122
Radius 18m@168cm
Sizes: 158, 168, 178
Size tested: 168cm
Design: Carryover

With its traditional tip shape and carbon/bamboo/glass core, the DPS Zelda 106 Foundation stands out as a versatile ski with enough float to excel on a powder day and enough shape to make a quick turn when you need to make a split-second decision. The dampness of the construction makes it stable and calm in the choppiest of conditions. I had the chance to ski the Zelda 106 Foundation back to back with other skis in its class, in a variety of conditions, and I always came back with a smile on my face.
  • Who is it for? A skier looking for a narrowish powder ski that will hold up til the day gives out.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for an all-mountain ski with a frontside bias.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something a little more backcountry-oriented, look at the Alchemist version of this ski.

DPS Zelda 106 Alchemist
Dimensions: 130-106-120
Radius: 18m@168cm:
Sizes: 158, 168, 178
Size tested: 168

DPS is changing its carbon construction line after many years of success with the Pure3 series. The Alchemist construction of the Zelda 106 has a bit more taper in the tip shape, which changes the quickness of a turn but offers more versatility for skinning and seeking backcountry turns. I skied the Zelda 106 Alchemist in a variety of conditions at Whistler, ranging from fluffy cold powder to heavy wet snow and skied-out crud. While it took more effort to initiate a turn in the heavier snow, the lightweight construction was a dream in the fluff and the steep bowls.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a lightweight ski with enough float for powder days in the bowls.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a damp ski to ski powder and trees.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for a ski like this but want something a little more damp, look to its counterpart, the Zelda 106 Foundation.

Fischer My MTN 84
Dimensions: 126-84-112
Radius: 15m@163cm
Size tested: 163

Fisher’s new My MTN series for women is designed to take you all over the mountain, much like its male counterpart, the Pro MTN. While this ski was okay on groomers, the area that it really made me grin was in the moguls. Lightweight, nimble, and easy.
  • Who is it for? When you want a nimble ski with an off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a strong groomer ski.
  • Inside tip: Relax and trust the ski.

Head Wild Joy

Dimensions: 139-90-119
Radius: 14.4m@168cm

The Wild Joy is a ski that was missing from Head's lineup: it had the 75mm Super Joy, which you all know I love, and then the 98mm Great Joy, which has been a fan favorite. I got on this ski twice. The first time was at Copper Mountain on hard-packed groomers, and it did exactly what I expected it to do on the hard pack. It turned nicely and held an edge with confidence. The second time was at Snowbasin, at the end of the day, with a lot of bumpy, choppy, yucky snow. The Wild Joy didn’t disappoint. As light as it feels, it didn’t act light when it was time to power through the choppy yucky snow. Head has a winner with this one.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a midfat everyday ski that will turn nicely.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is timid.
  • Insider tip: Don’t think about the weight; this ski is light but powerful.

Nordica Astral 78
Dimensions: 115-79-100
Radius: 15m@165cm
Size tested: 165

The Astral is Nordica’s all-mountain lineup for women in the coming season, with the Astral 78 perfectly placed for the intermediate woman who is looking for a confidence builder. I was able to ski this in a variety of conditions from manky snow to firm groomers and through some small moguls; what surprised me is how it did all of this with ease and didn’t make me feel like I was on an intermediate ski.
  • Who is it for? Intermediate to advanced skier looking for versatility.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Betty.
  • Insider tip: This ski runs true to size.

Nordica Santa Ana 100
Dimensions: 131-100-119
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Size tested: 169

After hearing that Nordica added metal and changed the wood, I was eager to get on the Santa Ana and see what it's all about. Well, it's clearly about stability and confidence. Where I really enjoyed the old construction, this rendition makes a great ski even better. The metal, to me, didn’t feel like it made the ski stiffer. The flex pattern is nice and smooth throughout the ski, but the new construction has given it a little more torsional rigidity in order to cut through chop a little better.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a narrower powder or crud ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers focused on groomers and tight turns.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overthink it.

Salomon XDR 84 Ti

Dimensions: 130-84-113
Radius: 15m@179cm

Salomon’s new lineup brings us the XDR 84 Ti, which I ended up skiing in a little longer length than I normally would choose. The strength of this ski is its smoothness and stability, inspiring confidence on a variety of snow from scraped-off groomers to tracked-out crud.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a confidence-inspiring cruiser.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for an energetic daily driver
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to go up a size; it seemed to work for me.

Völkl Yumi
Dimensions: 123-84-104
Radius: 17.6m@168cm

This popular ski from Völkl has gone through some changes this year with a little bit different shape. I didn’t notice much difference in the overall performance or turn shape, but I felt that it was slightly damper and added a level of stability that may inspire a timid skier.
  • Who is it for? An intermediate skier looking for inspiration.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers steeps and chutes.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a Yumi fan of years past who is looking for a calmer version, this may be your ski.
Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

Sponsor

Staff online