• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an area that I am really excited about. We had a few years of lean snow in the Tahoe area, which inspired clicking into skis that are leaner and meaner. Let's face it, when the cold smoke runs out and gives way to cream cheese and corduroy, the weapon of choice falls smack dab in the sub-90 world. This year has brought some new ski lines from several manufacturers who are offering skis that fill a need for the skier who is looking for high performance as well as the skier seeking out a casual daily driver.

Armada Victa 87 Ti
Dimensions: 129-87-119
Radius: 17m@171cm
Size tested: 171
Design: All New

Its roots have been deep in the park and big-mountain skiing world since Armada's beginning, but it was time to develop an all-mountain ski that still has the soul of Armada. Which brings us the Victa: I was blown away by this ski. It turns quickly, holds an edge on hardpack, and rips through the moguls without a second thought. This Armada for grown-ups made me feel like a kid again.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a serious yet playful option.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Betty.
  • Insider tip: Just ski!

Atomic Vantage X 80 CTi W

Dimensions: 123-80-105
Radius: 16.5m@167cm
Size tested: 167

The Vantage line moves onto the front side with a light woodcore, titanium backbone, and carbon tank mesh. Easy turn initiation and smooth transitions make this a great choice for women searching for some of the same fun they’ve had on the wider Vantage skis.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a smooth frontside ski that is wide enough to inspire some adventure.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for more off-piste skiing.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overthink it.

Blizzard Black Pearl
Dimensions: 123-88-108
Radius: 17m@166cm
Size tested: 166
Design: New Construction

The Black Pearl is coming into 2017 with the same amazing shape but a new construction that is giving this fan favorite a little bit more RAWR. These are some of the changes that have been brought to the Samba, adding a little more torsional rigidity without losing its playful tenacity. If you liked your old Black Pearl, you’ll love this one.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a playful all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers bowling.
  • Insider tip: Plan for a long day on the snow; you’ll want to stay out.

Blizzard Cheyenne

Dimensions: 115-78-100
Radius: 16m@163cm
Size tested: 163

The Cheyenne was a surprise ski for me two seasons ago, and it has continued to make me grin with each and every turn. This year they’ve added carbon to the construction, which has given it more strength while maintaining the playfulness that Cheyenne lovers have grown to love.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a frontside ski that slays moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who don’t want to be inspired to have fun.
  • Insider tip: Prepare to have some fun.

Blizzard Quattro 7.4 Ti

Dimensions: 117-74-100
Radius: 13.5m@162cm
Size tested: 162
Blizzard Quattro 8.0 Ti
Dimensions: 124-80-107
Radius: 13.5m@162 cm
Size tested: 162

Blizzard has amped up its women’s frontside line with the new Quattro series. The 7.4Ti is a ripper on fresh corduroy; the 8.0Ti is just as fun, but with an extra level of stability. The secret? Blizzard increased power by adding Ti while keeping some of the warmth I’ve grown to enjoy in its wood core, successfully incorporating the four elements of its Quattro line: stability, precision, agility, and control.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a frontside sweetheart.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone seeking tree skiing.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something a little more relaxed, look at the Ca version.

Blossom Great Shape
Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 13m@164cm
Size tested: 164
Design: Carryover

Getting on this ski in the morning when the corduroy was fresh was a dream. It reminded me of a race ski and put a giant smile on my face. This ski just rips!
  • Who is it for? Anyone looking for a high-performance groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? The faint of heart.
  • Insider tip: Ask your local shop to carry Blossom.

Blossom Wind Shear

Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 14m@160cm
Size tested: 160

This ski was a surprise hit for me. It reminded me of an old friend that gripped when I wanted to hold an edge, released when it was time to play, and came around with little thought.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a nice frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like smooth skis.
  • Insider tip: A variety of lengths can work well for an individual.

DPS Uschi F82
The Uschi F82 was one of the first DPS skis I’ve been on in a long time that wasn’t from the Pure3 line. As opposed to the Pure3’s carbon construction, the Foundation series uses a wood core, which gives the Uschi (pronounced oo-she) a warmer feel. Whether on groomers, bumps, or powder, I think the “F” must stand for “fun”!
  • Who is it for? Individuals who aren’t looking to compromise. These skis are on the finesse side of the scale and reward skiers who are neutral on their skis; they do not need to be driven to get the most performance.
  • Who is it not for? 11/10th skiers.
  • Insider tip: Since these are preproduction models, I asked what was going to change; DPS replied that it would make them 5 to 10 percent stiffer and add a bit more camber. Perfect: these are the exact two changes we would like to see.

Dynastar Glory 84
Dimensions: 123-84-106
Radius: 14m@163cm
Design: Carryover

I have been asked about the Glory 84, and though I had been on the Glory 89 several times, the narrower version hadn’t been on my radar. Its target is the intermediate-advanced skier, and it shouldn’t be overlooked. The Glory 84 is an incredibly easy turning ski, with a nimbleness that begs to head for the nearest mogul field.
  • Who is it for? Advancing intermediate skier who is looking for inspiration.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is happy to be ho-hum.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to go a little longer as you progress.

K2 AlLUVit

Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 13.5m@170cm
Size tested: 170

Like its big sisters in the lineup, the AlLUVit is incredibly fun and easy to take anywhere on the mountain. What it lacks in deep powder performance, the AlLUVit makes up for in fun on groomers and moguls.
  • Who is it for? An advancing skier looking to explore off piste more.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is not seeking adventure.
  • Insider tip: Go up a size.

Kästle MX84

Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 14.6m@168cm
Size tested: 168
Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 16.9m@172cm
Size tested: 172

Having been a fan of Kästle skis over the years, I was excited to try out the new MX lineup, starting with the MX84 and later the MX89. The perception is that this is a minor change, but there is a beautiful difference in how they initiate a turn. You get the same Kästle smoothness with a fresh new feel.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a premium all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone on a tight budget.
  • Insider tip: Lighter-weight skiers may want to look at the FX or LX lines.

Nordica Sentra S5
Dimensions: 124-76-106
Radius: 14.5m@168cm
Size tested: 168

At 76 mm underfoot, the Sentra S5 is a zippy ski. The carbon-balsa construction brings the right mix of power and warmth to each and every turn.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a versatile off-piste ski.
  • Insider tip: Find yourself some corduroy.

Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85

Dimensions: 128-85-110
Radius: 15.2m@167cm
Size tested: 167

Stöckli promises a premium ski, and that is exactly what it delivers with the Stormrider Motion 85 for women. It turns beautifully, carves nicely, and pushes through the crud. There aren’t enough o’s in "smooth" for how this ski feels while it's taking on the mountain.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a premium ski.
  • Who is it not for? The budget-conscious.
  • Insider tip: Don’t try it unless you’re ready to buy it.

Völkl Flair 81

Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 14.7m@163cm

Völkl’s new Flair line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what they say it is. The Flair 81 is a super fun and easy ski for groomers with enough kick in the butt to put a grin on the face of any advanced woman skier. Really nice, responsive, and powerful -- and friendly when you want to get a little lazy.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a good frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive it.

Völkl Flair SC UVO

Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Size tested: 165

Völkl’s all-new Flair Line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what the name promises. The SC is the leader in its class with a beautiful shape and UVO technology; this ski turned on a dime, held an edge, and made every bump in the run feel smooth.
  • Who is it for? An advanced skier looking for a precision groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Sharpen your skills, this one rewards good skiing
About @Tricia
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lb
Years skiing: 30+
Days per year: 75+
Home mountains: Northstar, Squawlpine Meadows, Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Trees, of course, but making tracks in fresh corduroy brings a smile to my face, too.
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: For the most part, I like a ski that has a playful tenacity, but a ski that likes to be driven is fun when the corduroy calls my name.
Boots: Tecnica Mach1 105 LV
About me: "Do what you love, love what you do" are the words I live by. Skiing became my passion from the moment I turned 18; a little over 25 years later, I moved to the Lake Tahoe Basin to make skiing my life and career. Along with helping skiers face to face, I am the site manager and owner here on pugski.com and review product for various manufacturers, both hardgoods and softgoods.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Your "who's it not for?" comments had me chuckling quite a lot :D
Maybe I'll take a stab at writing a thumbnail review when I get out on my new Atomics.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When are they arriving?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When are they arriving?
I picked them up from Level Nine yesterday (gotta love having their corporate HQ nearby!) I took them for a run today. Horrible light up high, but once I got down lower in the mashed potatoes, boy, they were fun! I need to remember that anything wider than my Kenjas is going to feel cumbersome to make quick turns on. I will say, I got down to this one steeper pitch that had a lot of pushed around piles of sticky mashed potatoes, and I liked them there a lot. That long, soft, rockered tip didn't deflect but just floated right over that stuff, and I was able to carry quite a lot of speed. Length is a TAD long, but I'll get used to them. It served me well in those mashed potatoes because it was more stable. I'll write more about them when I ski them more in better light. (And my boots are packing, which I think is causing some of my issues of getting the wider skis on edge.)

Ktmdad

Booting up
Skier
Think the new Cheyenne will be worth the premium over the discounted 2015/2016 version? Primarily for eastern use.

Thanks
Jeff in MA

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to Pugski!
Honestly, I think the new one is a little better but if you can find a current one at a great price, go for it!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia, why do you say the Blizzard Quattro 8.0 Ti is not for anyone seeking tree skiing? Thanks!
It's not that you can't ski trees on the Quattro, you could ski trees on a slalom ski, but the Quattro line is geared toward someone looking for a smooth front side ride

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Völkl Flair 81
Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 14.7m@163cm

Völkl’s new Flair line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what they say it is. The Flair 81 is a super fun and easy ski for groomers with enough kick in the butt to put a grin on the face of any advanced woman skier. Really nice, responsive, and powerful -- and friendly when you want to get a little lazy.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a good frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive it.

Völkl Flair SC UVO

Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Size tested: 165

Völkl’s all-new Flair Line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what the name promises. The SC is the leader in its class with a beautiful shape and UVO technology; this ski turned on a dime, held an edge, and made every bump in the run feel smooth.
  • Who is it for? An advanced skier looking for a precision groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Sharpen your skills, this one rewards good skiing
About @Tricia
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lb
Years skiing: 30+
Days per year: 75+
Home mountains: Northstar, Squawlpine Meadows, Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Trees, of course, but making tracks in fresh corduroy brings a smile to my face, too.
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: For the most part, I like a ski that has a playful tenacity, but a ski that likes to be driven is fun when the corduroy calls my name.
Boots: Tecnica Mach1 105 LV
About me: "Do what you love, love what you do" are the words I live by. Skiing became my passion from the moment I turned 18; a little over 25 years later, I moved to the Lake Tahoe Basin to make skiing my life and career. Along with helping skiers face to face, I am the site manager and owner here on pugski.com and review product for various manufacturers, both hardgoods and softgoods.

More info coming about the Flair 81
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_9427.jpg

psortti

Booting up
Skier
Tricia,

I am planning to buy new all mountain skis for my 16 year old daughter. The Armada Victa 87 Ti seems very interesting.

She is 170 cm tall (~5,6 ft), ~62 kg (~137 lb). She is a good/strong skier with good technique. She has been skiing since she was 5 and ski 2-3 weeks per year.
She spends most of her time in the pistes, but will also do some freeride skiing from time to time.

What is you recommendation when it comes to sizing? 163 or 171 cm?
Most traditional "sizing guides" would say 163, but considering that the ski has both tip and tail rocker, 171 might be the way to go....(?)

Many thanks in advance!

Patrik

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@psortti, welcome to the site. I hope you are finding everything alright. @Tricia is unavailable at the moment and I am sure she will be able to chime in in a few hours. In the meantime, I would actually venture to say the 171. At 16, she is done growning and from this point, whe will just get physically stronger. If we were lookiing at a more traditional hard snow ski with even a little bit of gradual rise or what we call "marketing rocker" (hardy discernable but it looks good to have the word rocker in the advertising), yes a 163 would be ideal. The Victa 87Ti has a good amount of rise in the tip and some in the tail and if you look at the actual contact points, you will see it is shorter than most 163's.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia,

I am planning to buy new all mountain skis for my 16 year old daughter. The Armada Victa 87 Ti seems very interesting.

She is 170 cm tall (~5,6 ft), ~62 kg (~137 lb). She is a good/strong skier with good technique. She has been skiing since she was 5 and ski 2-3 weeks per year.
She spends most of her time in the pistes, but will also do some freeride skiing from time to time.

What is you recommendation when it comes to sizing? 163 or 171 cm?
Most traditional "sizing guides" would say 163, but considering that the ski has both tip and tail rocker, 171 might be the way to go....(?)

Many thanks in advance!

Patrik
I am about the same size and skied the 171 with a grin on my face:D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@psortti Please report back on how it goes. :popcorn:

Sponsor

Staff online