• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tried Enforcer 104's - Want something else...

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Hello all. I used to post on Epic Ski and rely on everyone over there for info - I read this is where most ended up. Looking for some advice / opinions.

Current quiver:
Head Monster 78's in 177
Fischer WC GS RC4 RTune's - Back from those few years they decreased the Radius to > 21. These are 188's.

I'm 6'3, 185-190 without ski gear on

Moved out west (albeit AZ), and havent had much chance to ski. That is changing this year. I have a longer trip coming up to CO (Copper, Breck and Vail), and I wouldn't mind buying something one year old instead of renting, as I want to get back into skiing at least 10 days a year going forward.

I just skied Telluride and I rented some Enforcer 104 Free's in 179. Too short for me, but that's the longest they had. Good ski, I can see why they are universally liked, but for me they were too soft, especially in the rear of the ski. I ripped some great turns on them and had fun, but they didnt want to hold high end speed as well as I'd like and were weak at towards the end of the turn - I prefer something stiffer and with less rear rocker (I think).

Admittedly I don't "smear" turns much - and unless its a real powder day, I still want to ski fast and link big curves and be driving the ski through the turns. I have much less experience sitting on the back of my skis and smearing turns over small moguls and linking runs through multiple different types of terrains. I'd like to get better at it - but I think I would need something softer than the Enforcer 104's - I am just not as good a skier at that type of discipline as I am at skiing fast and carving turns - so while I was over-skiing the Enforcers doing that stuff, I was probably under-skiing them when I was trying to smear through moguls and varied terrain.

I don't see a one quiver all mountain/freeride ski working out because of the above. I'd rather pick up a ski in that 95-105 or maybe even more distinctly 100-105 underfoot range that can handle me skiing it hard and then worry about a ski that is more flexible later - as I think that ski will have to be less "expert" oriented - or at least have more flex to it.

Right now it seems like Mantra 102's and BlackOps Sender Ti are good options. Any thoughts? Any other ski's to add to the list? Am I thinking about this correctly or should I be going a different direction with my quiver that I am not thinking of? All discussion is appreciated.

TLDR:
Rented Enforcer 104 Free's - want something stiffer to buy. Mantra 102/Sender Ti's seem like good options. Looking for advice.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
m102 is endless power. one of my alltime favorites, only downside is tight trees or moguls at low speed. everything else is awesome.

Ive had the m102 191cm since they released it and there is no chance to overpower it on edge going fast

enforcer 104s are to soft for high speed carves, but wasnt really made for it, for me its a woodsski I can use on slope to and from woods

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
m102 is endless power. one of my alltme favorites, only downside is tight trees or moguls at low speed. everything else is awesome.
Thanks for the reply - just read the thread titled 'Long and heavy charger skis' - I saw how much you enjoy the Mantra 102's. Lots of good info in there. A little surprised the Sender Ti's weren't mentioned at all. Didn't see much on the Bonafide 97's either.

Would you recommend 191's over the 184's for my size and goals in the M102's?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the reply - just read the thread titled 'Long and heavy charger skis' - I saw how much you enjoy the Mantra 102's. Lots of good info in there. A little surprised the Sender Ti's weren't mentioned at all. Didn't see much on the Bonafide 97's either.

Would you recommend 191's over the 184's for my size and goals in the M102's?

Depends on you really, your height would suggest the 191.. but

it does not ski short, but the 191 is so darn nice. only reason for the 184 would be if you wanted to tight terrain it, but then it might not be the ski regardless.

your a fairly light, we are pretty much the same height, but I'm 240lb now but I did also ski it when I was a nippy 210lbs pre corona and still could make it do what I wanted, @chris_the_wrench also loves his, no idea how heavy he is.

I've been wanting to get on the new sender TI & squad and new bonefide and especially the 194's but the pricing on them here has made 0 sense, and the aftermarket has been even smaller than the M102, same for bonefide really, they are almost twice the $ here.

I've also owned the m-free 108 and holyshred 98 192 and the bases on them has just been fairly slow, so again paying that $$ premium for a sender ti/squad just hasnt happend. I ended up selling both of thoose.

I've been wanting to find something as fun & powerful as M102 and skied a LOT of other skis, but nothing can touch it of what I have skied.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given your style and equipment descriptions in the original post, it seems hard to argue with the Mantra 102.

That's one step chargier than I want anymore, and I've found my Enforcer 100s combination of performance and ease of use to be more appealing with every passing season -- and I believe the current version has a bit more top end.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
your a fairly light, we are pretty much the same height, but I'm 240lb now but I did also ski it when I was a nippy 210lbs pre corona and still could make it do what I wanted, @chris_the_wrench also loves his, no idea how heavy he is.

6'3" 195lbs'ish

I love my Mantra 102 191's. They are my everyday ski and we get along well. Yesterday afternoon I did 10 laps down my favorite part of the mountain (2k' a lap), skied the same lap because it was skiing really good. Starts off with inconsistent bumps on a steeper wide open run about 40 yards wide, drop into spaced out trees on a steeper slope, then into really tight trees/bumps and wraps up with a short groomer section that gets fun small bumps at end of day back to the lift.

I have some 108 Black Crows Atris(not my favorite ski, too light, relegated to my touring ski) but I ski the M102 when we get fresh snow because I like them so much more even though they are skinnier than the Atris. Id like some kind of 115'ish ski for deeper days to partner with the M102(perhaps this summer).

-Chris

Last edited:

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
What about the Stockli SR95? If you want smooth, damp, powerful, and fast, it could tick all the boxes. The Mantra prob does too. Or, try the Standard Enforcer in 100 or 94 underfoot? The 104 free has the extra tail rocker and meant to be more playful, attributes that don't work for you...
Some feedback on SR 95 vs Mantra, though they have both been updated this year.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now it seems like Mantra 102's and BlackOps Sender Ti are good options. Any thoughts?
I would lean towards Mantra's over the Sender. I can't speak directly to the Sender, but I have skied the women's Rallybird Ti (same construction as the Sender with a lighter wood in the core) and I own the Enforcer 104. They are very similar skis. I found the Rallybird to be slightly stiffer underfoot, but a bit softer in the tips and tail. The Enforcer 104 offers a more linear flex tip to tail. The Rallybird Ti more progressive (soft tips and tail and progressively get stiffer towards the mount point). Overall they have a very similar profile (slightly less rocker in the tail on the Rallybird).

The Mantra's mount point is set back further than the Sender or the Enforcer, which will make it ski a bit more "traditionally" which sounds like something you like. The Mantra also has a longer sidecut radius than either the Sender or the Enforcer, this will also translate to easier long GS-style, high speed carving. Lastly, it’s definitely stiffer and will offer a more stable ride at higher speeds.

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Depends on you really, your height would suggest the 191.. but

it does not ski short, but the 191 is so darn nice. only reason for the 184 would be if you wanted to tight terrain it, but then it might not be the ski regardless.

I've been wanting to get on the new sender TI & squad and new bonefide and especially the 194's but the pricing on them here has made 0 sense, and the aftermarket has been even smaller than the M102, same for bonefide really, they are almost twice the $ here.

I've also owned the m-free 108 and holyshred 98 192 and the bases on them has just been fairly slow, so again paying that $$ premium for a sender ti/squad just hasnt happend. I ended up selling both of thoose.

I've been wanting to find something as fun & powerful as M102 and skied a LOT of other skis, but nothing can touch it of what I have skied.
I ran the numbers via that Soothski website (I cant remember his name, but saw you conversing with him recently about the M5 vs M6 and he linked his website) - and the M102 in 191 is really stiff... So I figured I should ask, haha.

Re: The Bonafide 97 and Sender Ti - Used skis seem tough to find this year. I cant find the Bonafides used either, but my local shop has 3 pairs of slightly used Sender Ti's in 187 for a fair price, which is intriguing. The M102's I'm going to have to source from ebay.

Given your style and equipment descriptions in the original post, it seems hard to argue with the Mantra 102.

That's one step chargier than I want anymore, and I've found my Enforcer 100s combination of performance and ease of use to be more appealing with every passing season -- and I believe the current version has a bit more top end.

Did the Enforcer 100 change for 21/22? The guys at the ski shop also mentioned that ski.

6'3" 195lbs'ish

I love my Mantra 102 191's. They are my everyday ski and we get along well. Yesterday afternoon I did 10 laps down my favorite part of the mountain (2k' a lap), skied the same lap because it was skiing really good. Starts off with inconsistent bumps on a steeper wide open run about 40 yards wide, drop into spaced out trees on a steeper slope, then into really tight trees/bumps and wraps up with a short groomer section that gets fun small bumps at end of day back to the lift.

I have some 108 Black Crows Atris(not my favorite ski, too light, relegated to my touring ski) but I ski the M102 when we get fresh snow because I like them so much more even though they are skinnier than the Atris. Id like some kind of 115'ish ski for deeper days to partner with the M102(perhaps this summer).

-Chris
Great feedback, thanks. We are the same size (ish), and it sounds wont feel pushed around on the 191's!

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
What about the Stöckli SR95? If you want smooth, damp, powerful, and fast, it could tick all the boxes. The Mantra prob does too . . .
Some feedback on both, though they have both been updated this year.
I know Stockli's rep and have never owned a pair - Stockli's do seem like they would fit me well. I have been looking for them, but they arent a ton of them around, so I dont think they would be easy to locate on short notice, unfortunately.

I would lean towards Mantra's over the Sender. I can't speak directly to the Sender, but I have skied the women's Rallybird Ti (same construction as the Sender with a lighter wood in the core) and I own the Enforcer 104. They are very similar skis. I found the Rallybird to be slightly stiffer underfoot, but a bit softer in the tips and tail. The Enforcer 104 offers a more linear flex tip to tail. The Rallybird Ti more progressive (soft tips and tail and progressively get stiffer towards the mount point). Overall they have a very similar profile (slightly less rocker in the tail on the Rallybird).

The Mantra's mount point is set back further than the Sender or the Enforcer, which will make it ski a bit more "traditionally" which sounds like something you like. The Mantra also has a longer sidecut radius than either the Sender or the Enforcer, this will also translate to easier long GS-style, high speed carving. Lastly, it’s definitely stiffer and will offer a more stable ride at higher speeds.
Great feedback - I was hoping the Sender Ti would ski stiffer than the Enforcer 104's - and be easier to ski fast because it has so much less rocker height in the rear... but sounds like they are more similar than they are different!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have yet to loan my M102's to a good skier and not have him love them, I have even put an intermediate to advanced on them and even he liked them.

I think the "ohh its over 190" scares some people but vs most fun60/70mm its so accessible/friendly

I also try to always use M102 whenever I'm filming someone, since you dont need to care what is under you, and you know they can't outski you. It's a fat GS

if going sender TI Id go 194s though not 187 pretty much all 187s feel meh except 60/70mm skis

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Another vote for the Mantra 102. The 177cm has been my #1 daily driver for this 6' 240lb daily Killington skier. Love the tight bump lines and trees so I need the shorter length 90% of the time. My only problem is that I need the 184 cm length for days when a charger.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ti would ski stiffer than the Enforcer 104's - and be easier to ski fast because it has so much less rocker height in the rear... but sounds like they are more similar than they are different!
They are definitely more similar than they are different.

The tail shape and less early rise definitely will make the Sender feel a bit stronger on the release (despite it being a bit softer)...a little less "smeary".

To me, the Sender/Rallybird translates almost directly to the Enforcer/Santa Ana 100 feel. Which sounds like it's softer than what you're looking for.

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Another vote for the Mantra 102. The 177cm has been my #1 daily driver for this 6' 240lb daily Killington skier. Love the tight bump lines and trees so I need the shorter length 90% of the time. My only problem is that I need the 184 cm length for days when a charger.
I've skied Killington a hundred times in my life - their trees are tighter than I prefer, I find myself in the trees more out west. If you were charging more than you were tree skiing, would you consider sizing up to 191?

Curious, especially since you are heavier than I am and you're skiing the 177's.

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
I know this is off-topic, but what do you all pay for a binding remount? Unfortunately living in Phoenix AZ means there is only one game in town - and they charge 80. I certainly didn't pay that when I was living back East, but that was 8 years ago. Is 80 normal these days?

Obviously a tough time to buy ski's, haha. Although I prefer buying used, the local ski shop doesnt have much selection right now either. They do have a pair of Sender Ti's in 187 with Look Pivot 15's for a fair price, but nothing else used I am too interested in. They have one pair of new Mantra 102's in 184, none in 191.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
M102's are dirt cheap from most european sites btw, especially the 2021 (which is the best topsheet)

here going rate is $40 , but since Im a huge skinerd I just have jigs for everything :p

most will give it free with purchase though

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I've skied Killington a hundred times in my life - their trees are tighter than I prefer, I find myself in the trees more out west. If you were charging more than you were tree skiing, would you consider sizing up to 191?

Curious, especially since you are heavier than I am and you're skiing the 177's.
The 102's are my sixth Mantra that I have owned all in 177cm. Steep narrow lane technical lines are where I live all day when possible. My rule is ski the shortest length that you can get away with. Would not upsize to the 191 in my case but I will buy a 184cm in the future because this is a ski that I need in a couple of sizes.

TS
F

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Guys, thinking out loud here. If I wasn't scared of going a little less under foot, would the M5/M6 be a very similar ski to the Mantra 102s? Reading / watching reviews they say they are, but curious as to real world thoughts on this.

Just trying to weigh my options.