• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Triple-Dip La Nina??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Yes to all that - but remember that in June we're still talking basically a ~5% difference in likelihood between the La Nina and neutral scenarios.

The consensus forecast we absolutely want (or dread ftm) is the September 15th one. Until then, there's at least *some* hope for change.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dear La Niña brought devastating floods to B.C. in November and to Montana in June. Neutral would be good. California and across the U.S. Southwest desperately needs an El Niño. I skied Vail and Steamboat last winter, and the snowpack at both was shockingly thin, thus little water for the Colorado River drainage.

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
How about the U.P. ?
I drove up to Mount Bohemia for the first time last February. Drove there from Indiana in my F150 Lariat. Stayed in a trailside cabin, had the cheap season pass. Went on the Voodoo snowcat trip with my brand new Shaggys. AND......... it was way better than some of my expensive trips out West. Bohemia ended up going over 300 inches for the season, which was more than most of Colorado? I can't wait to go back, even if I already have trips planned to Aspen/Snowmass and AltaBird every year.
And since Steamboat Powdercats decided to raise the crap out of their prices every year (850$ a seat now), I decided to go back to CMH helicopter skiing at the Bugaboos. Anybody else in?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes to all that - but remember that in June we're still talking basically a ~5% difference in likelihood between the La Nina and neutral scenarios.

The consensus forecast we absolutely want (or dread ftm) is the September 15th one. Until then, there's at least *some* hope for change.
Sept 12th update:

"It is exceptional to have three consecutive years with a la Niña event," WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas said in a statement.

"The southwestern U.S., with rain clouds pushed out to sea, becomes drier than usual. Northwestern U.S. states and Canada see cooler-than-average temperatures, rain and flooding."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*with some chance of almost - neutral by February.

Screenshot_20220912-231514.jpg

spudbumkin

Booting up
Skier

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wonder if I’ll be golfing or skiing here in SW Pa. This Christmas (lol)