• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Truck bed setup

precisionchiro

Booting up
Skier
Not sure if this is the right forum to post... mods, please move if necessary.

Anyone have any ideas or plans for setting up the bed of a standard pickup truck for ski gear? I’ve been looking online for ideas, perhaps one or two large pullout drawers with slots/holders for ski storage, with a full platform over it for bags, etc. I’m planning on getting a full bed cap before next winter, and would love to make the entire cargo area functional and organized.

TIA.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been scouring Pintertest for slide out bed options.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Check your local CL for bed slides or bed drawers that will fit your truck. I found a barely used Highway Products bed slide for $350($1200+ new). Listings for the ones for SUVs used to come up very cheap but these days :huh:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can make a box, you can easily make drawers for a truck or Yukon. Depends on what you want to use for drawer slides.

This is a cool modular Subaru setup, for ideas only.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally on my truck with a cap I just use a platform. Skis slide underneath. Other gear on top , in plastic crates Or bags. That lets me get multiple pairs of skis in without issue and without the restrictions of drawers. Platform the comes out after ski season

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends if you are going to do a DYI or go on off the shelf. The are numerous effective commercial solutions with slideouts and liftups, some even carpet lined. Yes the pickup has become more than a work truck, it has also become a suburbanite vehicle.

TS
precisionchiro

precisionchiro

Booting up
Skier
Personally on my truck with a cap I just use a platform. Skis slide underneath. Other gear on top , in plastic crates Or bags. That lets me get multiple pairs of skis in without issue and without the restrictions of drawers. Platform the comes out after ski season

Do you find the skis stay put and organized under the platform? I was thinking skis and poles would need to be cradled or slotted so that they don’t move or slide around.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
That's very creative and some cool work on the SUB.. However, the entire project does not appear to be comfortable or practical. I fail to see how a simple tent wouldn't perform much better.

Reactions: Ogg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you find the skis stay put and organized under the platform? I was thinking skis and poles would need to be cradled or slotted so that they don’t move or slide around.

yes, no issues. And i usually have 5+ pairs in there. It means I can also stack skis on top of the platform as well as below it. I normally only put the skis in bags if they are prepped and I am traveling long distance for a race. I normally use a separate pole bag for poles as I will typically have several different types in the truck

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
yes, no issues. And i usually have 5+ pairs in there. It means I can also stack skis on top of the platform as well as below it. I normally only put the skis in bags if they are prepped and I am traveling long distance for a race. I normally use a separate pole bag for poles as I will typically have several different types in the truck
the secret is, wait for it.....
Don't drive like I do.

I was thinking upon reading this, something like those hard equipment cases with foam on the bottom and inside the lid, like on the lid of this case: https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...cbb8ed9b6591ffdf795ee469a9e5640&gclsrc=3p.ds&

Only, put it in the bed and under the shelf that maybe lifts up... requires some details sorted out still (what's on top of it?).

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
the secret is, wait for it.....
Don't drive like I do.

I'm pretty sure i dont.........:ogbiggrin:

File20-4.jpg

Sponsor