• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuning and turning

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just had my skis sanded flat and 1 degree base, 3 degree side put on. Skis are my groomer skis Elan 88xti, 178cm. Since tuning (lst shop one in probably 200 ski days) they don't turn to the right and well as they do to the left. Yes, I turn better to the left but change is noticeable. Anyone have any ideas?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't really understand Elan's "Amphibio" rocker other than there's a right-ness and a left-ness built in.
Maybe the leveling done took some of the direction-ness out that your body/muscles are used to?
Here are the words that causes this speculation:

Rocker Type
Amphibio 4D Profile – Amphibio offers the benefits of Rocker and Camber without compromise! The skis feature Left & Right construction where the inside edge has camber for full edge grip, while the outside edge has rocker for reduced edge grip that provides easy turning.
amphibio.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just had my skis sanded flat and 1 degree base, 3 degree side put on. Skis are my groomer skis Elan 88xti, 178cm. Since tuning (lst shop one in probably 200 ski days) they don't turn to the right and well as they do to the left. Yes, I turn better to the left but change is noticeable. Anyone have any ideas?

Sanded? What exactly did the shop do to your skis? If they flattened them with a belt sander, then run, don't walk, to get those skis to a shop that will stone grind them flat and tune them properly.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
This could have to do with one side of the skis bases being more worn than the other.
I got some used skis. I was having a hard time to flatten with the steel because of stripes, or areas of base that were very hard.
I had them stone ground. It became obvious that whoever skied them did most off the checking or stopping only one way.
Can't add to the bases, so needed to take more off one side to make equal.
Had to do that a few times as no need to go overboard all at once.
In the end, they came out fine. Still skiing the old skis, and they are fine now.
Here is what I had to do. True bar and eyes needed!
Edit: BTW use the YouTube 2x speed setting to view quicker! :doh:

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still have some older Elan 88 XTi that I've skied into the ground over the last few years. I made sure to take them to a reputable local shop that sells Elan Amphibio skis like the Ripstick and Wingman to have them ground and reset to 1/3. Not surprising, I've noticed they do not still have the tenacious grip of the original skis due to wear and tear.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Really opens a lot of questions. but aside from that do Elans with left and right ski need to be stone ground with a special set up on the machine?? my friend just bough a pair and am wondering?????

I have never owned an Amphibio designed Elan, but other threads where this was discussed note that there is nothing different about tuning them.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
" I don't really understand Elan's "Amphibio" rocker other than there's a right-ness and a left-ness built in. "

Their production machine was putting out a lot of warped skis. The marketing VP said, "I have an idea...."

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Do they ski the same if you reverse what foot you have them on? Did they dull any of the tip edges so it may be harder to start your turn?

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really opens a lot of questions. but aside from that do Elans with left and right ski need to be stone ground with a special set up on the machine?? my friend just bough a pair and am wondering?????

Originally I took them in to get stone ground but after talking to the "technician"?" I learned he didn't know what Ampihio was, when I told him 1 and 3 he looked at me with a puzzeled look on his face, so I got my skis out of there quickly.

Sponsor

Staff online