• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

turo or P to P car rental

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
never done person to person type car rental. With traditional car rental price more than double what used to be. Looking for advice/suggestions
one of my concerns what's happened. if car breakdown and insurance
I really don't know what else to ask/ look for.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
never done person to person type car rental. With traditional car rental price more than double what used to be. Looking for advice/suggestions
one of my concerns what's happened. if car breakdown and insurance
I really don't know what else to ask/ look for.

I've used Turo a few times with no problems. Check with your car insurance agency, but mine covers this use without problem. These days though, even Turo is way more costly than you would expect. Not quite as much as the tier 1 car rental agencies, but I just did a Turo car last week and it wasn't that much less than the big boys (but it was available and a much better car for the money).

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I've used Turo a few times with no problems. Check with your car insurance agency, but mine covers this use without problem. These days though, even Turo is way more costly than you would expect. Not quite as much as the tier 1 car rental agencies, but I just did a Turo car last week and it wasn't that much less than the big boys (but it was available and a much better car for the money).
I checked today in SLC pricewise it's about half.
I am going to check with my insurance company.
I can't find any clarification to the statement where renter responsible for mechanical problem and damaged interior on TORO www.
My concern what's happened if a car simply breaks down. Who is responsible for repairs.
In our recent experience with traditional car rental it's took 15 min. to exchange a car when "check engine" went out. Probably this is not the case with P to P rental

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I checked today in SLC pricewise it's about half.
I am going to check with my insurance company.
I can't find any clarification to the statement where renter responsible for mechanical problem and damaged interior on TORO www.
My concern what's happened if a car simply breaks down. Who is responsible for repairs.
In our recent experience with traditional car rental it's took 15 min. to exchange a car when "check engine" went out. Probably this is not the case with P to P rental

You would not be responsible for anything mechanical (it's in the Turo agreement). My experience has been that most of these Turo hosts now have their own fleet of vehicles and may be able to swap in another car if you did have a problem.

It's not like using a rental car company, but you get what you pay for...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You would not be responsible for anything mechanical (it's in the Turo agreement). My experience has been that most of these Turo hosts now have their own fleet of vehicles and may be able to swap in another car if you did have a problem.

Agreed, and SLC is a big enough market that you should be able to find such a Turo host running at least a small fleet.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I checked one at SFO and it was cheaper headline to rent an Aston Martin on Turo than a basic SUV from the airport. So that made me look into insurance T&cs more closely and it seems that you might be more stuck or forced into an expensive by the day insurance cost in certain circumstances with Turo.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a car issue so rented a Jeep Gladiator on Turo so my wife could drive some visitors around Cape Cod for a few days. I never would have done it if I thought we would have to pay for normal repairs. There were ways to add your insurance and then pay more for extra. They had fun going to the beach. The guy charged her extra for cleaning even though she vacuumed it. So there could be some gray area but I am pretty sure if a lemon blows a gasket it’s not on the renter. Good questions though and it could be that the fine print varies.

I would probably only Turo at last resort.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
apparently not all insurance company cover TURO like rental compare to traditional car rental agency. Mine doesn't and there are no add on for small fee.
Will need to look into if it cost effective with add on insurance to TURO rent

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I've used Turo numerous times (mostly out of Denver), without serious issue. They're particularly good for large SUVs (Suburban-type) -- often SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the rental agencies.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The insurance issue is usually the big deal. Turo's best plan which often adds 30%+ to rate is usually at best an average auto policy if you bought your own, especially in a liability case. So if you normally have $1M-$5M umbrella, at best you'll likely cap to $1M with Turo. Liability is a low risk, thus why it's so cheap to buy, but it's one of those risks that if you are at fault, you're in deep poop.

Note: insurance is a state regulated industry as well and so it will differ by the company and by the state. Read the fine print carefully.

Turo would be a last resort option for me given the liability exposure and costs after you account for trying to replicate your existing coverage (Assuming your insurance won't cover it, which is often the case).

All said, if Turo continues to grow in acceptance, though, it's conceivable the insurance issues will work themselves out similar to AirBnB offering better and better coverage to owners (many AirBnB folks are grossly underinsured however putting themselves at huge risks).

If you were really interested in Turo, call your home and auto agent and ask them to bind/transfer coverage or if not, confirm why not.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The insurance issue is usually the big deal. Turo's best plan which often adds 30%+ to rate is usually at best an average auto policy if you bought your own, especially in a liability case. So if you normally have $1M-$5M umbrella, at best you'll likely cap to $1M with Turo. Liability is a low risk, thus why it's so cheap to buy, but it's one of those risks that if you are at fault, you're in deep poop.

Note: insurance is a state regulated industry as well and so it will differ by the company and by the state. Read the fine print carefully.

Turo would be a last resort option for me given the liability exposure and costs after you account for trying to replicate your existing coverage (Assuming your insurance won't cover it, which is often the case).

All said, if Turo continues to grow in acceptance, though, it's conceivable the insurance issues will work themselves out similar to AirBnB offering better and better coverage to owners (many AirBnB folks are grossly underinsured however putting themselves at huge risks).

If you were really interested in Turo, call your home and auto agent and ask them to bind/transfer coverage or if not, confirm why not.

If you're running into this then you current auto insurance isn't very good. I talked to my agent and I didn't even need the Turo over-priced insurance to be fully covered just as I am when I drive my own vehicles.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you're running into this then you current auto insurance isn't very good. I talked to my agent and I didn't even need the Turo over-priced insurance to be fully covered just as I am when I drive my own vehicles.

^This. I called mine and no-fuss no-muss. Even when I asked if I could drive to Canada with it.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier

Just because I can't get Turo does not discredit the policy. Insurance definitions are complex and insurance companies assess risks of protection relative to the person or entity being insured. Disqualifying someone elses policy based on them "getting Turo" basis is of course myopic.

My position remains. If you go with Turo, you should simply read the fine print and importantly, understand what your coverage is because the big issue is liability insurance protection coverage, especially if you have resources or other people (passengers) to protect. Defending a liability claim is no joke, especially in a different state or for that matter, a different country.

Sponsor

Staff online