• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TV coverage for 2020-2021?

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Any word on where we can watch the upcoming FIS WC season in the US? NBC is silent so far and any mention of a Snow Pass renewal is missing. Can’t believe how Balkanized the global coverage TV rights seem to be.

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Just heard back from NBC ... they say that the NBC Sports Gold Ski Pass will be available after Oct 15. Had to wait while they checked when I called. Let’s hope they’re correct ... not much time till the Solden GS oct 17-18!

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Thanks for posting this. Disappointed if situation is same as last couple years.
Was wondering today if COVID would create more access to all alpine races - including the ones in Austria.
Getting the fiasco Snow Pass or Good Pass dumped would be an added bonus.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone seen anything on the Olympic Channel broadcasting FIS skiing this season? I can't seem to find anything... Soelden isn't in their TV listings, but I don't think they carried that one (or any of the Austrian races) last season either.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Solden does not seem to be on Xfinity/Olympic Channel - check all of next week. So likely same situation as last year. Hopefully Levi will be carried.
Was (foolishly) hoping COVID would drive a change for the positive from a TV-standpoint due to reduced race crowds and (North American) schedule.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
& Nothing yet about snowpass :huh:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Soelden is in Austria. Austria (Austrian TV, Austrian Skiing org. ?) somehow control TV rights for events in Austria hence WC events held in Austria aren't shown in the USA. Doesn't please me one bit, but there you are. We've had this discussion before on Pugski and Muleskin could probably do a better job of explaining the situation.

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
didn't we see the Hahnenkamm last year? ... maybe on multiday delay?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
didn't we see the Hahnenkamm last year? ... maybe on multiday delay?
I think that one might have been shown in abbreviated form on a delay on NBC Sports (or maybe even regular NBC?). But I think all the other Austria races were not broadcast except on the NBC Sports Gold streaming package.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sounds like Snowpass will be available by the time Levi rolls around.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like Snowpass will be available by the time Levi rolls around.
Better yet (for me) Levi will be on the Olympic Channel!! Thanks.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We saw a faction of it on delay (as below).
Not having Kitzbuhel and Schladming is akin to carrying the NFL - but not the playoffs or Super Bowl.

Hopefully the rights to the other Austrian races can be sorted out before they take place. It is especially disappointing to miss the first race though after last season had to be abandoned before the end.

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
I’m working on EuroSport with VPN ... they’ve been resisting my advances so far. May be able to see replays there regardless.

how is it that Eurosport can make a deal with the Austrians, but NBC can’t??? Are they including poison pills with any deals?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
how is it that Eurosport can make a deal with the Austrians, but NBC can’t??? Are they including poison pills with any deals?
No idea, but I'll speculate that maybe it's possible that NBC just can't get a price from the Austrians that they'd find profitable? Viewership in the US probably isn't what it is in Europe.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
No idea, but I'll speculate that maybe it's possible that NBC just can't get a price from the Austrians that they'd find profitable? Viewership in the US probably isn't what it is in Europe.
Was in Kitzbuhel last year for Birds of Prey weekend. Was nice to just walk into a bar (evening there) and have ski racing on their country's main channel (ORF).
In the US, even in ski towns, it is a 20 minute process to get it on TV in a public place.
I keep hoping the Austrians see the big picture by making their races easier to show in big markets in the US.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in Kitzbuhel last year for Birds of Prey weekend. Was nice to just walk into a bar (evening there) and have ski racing on their country's main channel (ORF).
In the US, even in ski towns, it is a 20 minute process to get it on TV in a public place.
I keep hoping the Austrians see the big picture by making their races easier to show in big markets in the US.
You can get that somewhat in the US too... I was at Sugarbush on Kitzbuhel weekend in 2018, and we went into the bar where the race was on (most) of the TVs, and a lot of folks were watching and talking about it. Probably still not the interest/talk/cheering there would be in Europe, but it was a still good.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
You can get that somewhat in the US too... I was at Sugarbush on Kitzbuhel weekend in 2018, and we went into the bar where the race was on (most) of the TVs, and a lot of folks were watching and talking about it. Probably still not the interest/talk/cheering there would be in Europe, but it was a still good.
That's cool. I was actually at that Jan 2018 Kitzbuhel weekend (78 Hahnenkamm race). Also drove Sunday, after the Kitz slalom, to Schladming for Tuesday's Night Race.
I remember that was the last year you could really get Kitz and Schladming in the USA as I set up a bunch of Xfinity/OC "reminders" for my kids and in-laws so they did not miss the race. :)
I believe TV coverage changed 2019-20 for the Austrian races - but cool that Sugarbush was featuring the race. That doesn't always happen.

B21C110C-6F69-4135-A5C0-D9840B7F51A3.jpeg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's cool. I was actually at that Jan 2018 Kitz weekend (78 Hahnenkamm race). I remember that was the last year you could really get Kitz and Schladming in the USA as I set up a bunch of Xfinity alerts for my kids and in-laws so they did not miss the race. :) I believe TV coverage changed 2019-20 for the Austrian races.

View attachment 112435
That was Dressen's "coming out party" race.... he'd only had 1 podium before that. Lots of fun to watch that in the bar and see someone come from out of nowhere for the win.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid