• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TV coverage for 2020-2021?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have announcers on yours at all? I've just been getting the video feed with random sounds from on the hill.

Which is the ideal (only?) way to watch these races: raw video feed, hearing the ambient sounds of the venue.

I really find most of the network commentary to be pointless (at least the English speaking stuff - the ORF commentators tend to be far more technically "deep" as their audience is assumed to know a thing or two about the sport) to me, at least - but that's the coach in me. ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Which is the ideal (only?) way to watch these races: raw video feed, hearing the ambient sounds of the venue.

I really find most of the network commentary to be pointless (at least the English speaking stuff - the ORF commentators tend to be far more technically "deep" as their audience is assumed to know a thing or two about the sport) to me, at least - but that's the coach in me. ;)

1000x like.

I love the "raw" feed that we're getting on Peacock. I find it way more interesting to hear and see the real race day environment.

And I'm already on record as heartily disliking Porino.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Porino. Having said that, I don't miss the commentary at all. There's soooo much more real-time content on Peacock. I really like being able to watch all of the runs, not just the 10 or so runs that the later broadcasts show between all of the personal interest crap that seems to take up half of the broadcast.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And I'm already on record as heartily disliking Porino.

I'm not dissing on Porino too much. He has a decent technical eye (he coached for a while after retiring from USST and while at the U of Utah pursuing his degree) and knows how to translate into more "everyman" language. For true ski racing wonks he's not the ideal commentator because sometimes he either oversimplifies or simply misreads what he sees because it takes extra views of certain things to make the proper technical analysis (GS and SL are so fast-paced these days that there are times when slow-motion replays are the only way to see where things go pear shaped).

He's paid to do a job for a network that primarily caters to those not versed in a sport that's not seen as first or second tier here in the U.S. He does it admirably well (especially considering he's sometimes up at 2:30am MST to do a live call on a race). And he's evolved a bit, becoming a fairly decent embedded reporter in pro road cycling stage races (reporting from the back of a motorcycle careening over twisty mountain passes going speeds that no sane driver would dare hit - and doing so without flinching - is no small feat).

The U.S. will likely never get the same level of analysis of races as ORF - just as ORF will likely never get the same level of American football analysis as any of the major networks here in the States. On that: try watching the BBC's coverage of the Super Bowl. They bring in former NFL stars to analyze the game in a way that makes sense to Brits. Often this means simplifying things that most Yanks simply know rote. It's not an easy task, especially to do on the fly.

So I respect Porino, Doug Lewis, Christin Cooper, and others who have worn this mantel with pride, humility, and candor.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have been mostly watching on Peacock especially since I do not have the Olympic Channel this year. Last year I would watch the first run on the streaming app & then the 2nd run with Porino & Schleser. I thought Pino was doing pretty well & getting better at not just spewing the same old cliches. I really enjoyed listening to his broadcast with Nyman a few weeks ago. I like Porino too but today I watched run 2 on NBCSN & just found the commentating annoying.
My biggest issue with the no commentary format is that if you blink your eye, you missed something. I find myself hitting the back button a lot. I wish they would leave the graphics for a longer time. ie, The name of the racer, the split time, margins, 2nd run placing etc.
I also think it would be cool if the venue commentating was a little louder. Some of those guys crack me up :roflmao:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I also think it would be cool if the venue commentating was a little louder.
A little louder? I wish they played it at all... all I've heard are bits and pieces occassionally when they happen to b showing someon at the finish.

4ster

Instructor
A little louder? I wish they played it at all... all I've heard are bits and pieces occassionally when they happen to b showing someon at the finish.
I think that is because the course is miked at intervals top to bottom. What I am suggesting would be to leave the finish mic on at perhaps the same or slightly lower volume than the other audio feeds all the way through. Just a thought, not sure that those guys wouldn’t get just as annoying especially when they are speaking three or four different languages at the same time. ogwink

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that is because the course is miked at intervals top to bottom. What I am suggesting would be to leave the finish mic on at perhaps the same or slightly lower volume than the other audio feeds all the way through. Just a thought, not sure that those guys wouldn’t get just as annoying especially when they are speaking three or four different languages at the same time. ogwink
I'd like to hear the local announcer through the whole thing too. Could be interesting. I was more commenting on how intermittent it is - it would need a lot more change than just volume.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think nbc/peacock has any control over the audio. Or video for that matter. It seems like they just get whatever raw feed from whoever is doing the filming and it is out of their hands how the various different feeds are mixed.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think nbc/peacock has any control over the audio. Or video for that matter. It seems like they just get whatever raw feed from whoever is doing the filming and it is out of their hands how the various different feeds are mixed.

The international feed has a few things from which NBCSN can pick, including a slow-mo feed from some cams and the like. But these things are exceedingly tough to switch around in real time, especially when working with a skeletal staff like the NBCSN/Olympic Channel broadcasts seem to do. So what you see on those live braodcasts is typically the same international feed as in the "raw," non-commentated feed on Peacock - just with a few NBC graphics added and gratuitous ads when there aren't official TV breaks. :(

And no, NBC has no control over the audio coming from the international feed other than to mute it.

When the races make the jump to mainline NBC the producers tend to use more of the feeds at their disposal. Given these broadcasts are typically well after the event has ended there is plenty of time to edit things to fit whatever narrative NBC wishes to present for the day (e.g. focus almost exclusively on the Mikaela-v-Petra rivalry).

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
I’d like to say that 1) any coverage beats no coverage, 2) I like Steve Porino, doing what he does within the constraints of addressing a general viewership and NBC management in what is in essence a niche sport, 3) having Steve Nyman in the booth (aka Garage) a couple of weeks ago added a whole new dimension to the level of commentary. With all respect to SP’s racing background, a current competitor adds a lot of additional nuance. I thought it was a good combination!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Porino didn't make one comment about Marco Schwarz' fantastic skiing down the steep pitch at the Adelbolden SL. When I saw Marco ski that pitch so cleanly (and never late at any of the gates) I knew he won the race. I just don't think Porino understands tech races and the skiing involved well enough to really provide pertinent commentary. I really feel like he just tries to "wing it" with the same old rehearsed/rehashed comments and then when clearly his stated comments didn't apply (because the next split time didn't bear out what he said) he tries to regroup and cover his a$$.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Porino knows tech skiing but it's not his forté - and that's OK. I think there's more of a disconnect with the commentary this year having both Pino and Schlanger in different locations, connected by a high-speed network feed and trying not to step on each other. I'm sure they have a video link to each other so they can see what the other is planning to say but it's still not the same instinct as being in the same studio.

No commentator will be perfect. Does any body else recall with such clarity the late, great Bob Beattie calling the 1988 Winter Olympic downhill at Nakiska when Pirmin Zurbriggen had a "going for goat" run? Zubi had a hand touch on a fall-away turn and Beattie went nuts: "HE TOUCHED HIS HAND TO THE SNOW! THAT PROBABLY COST HIM THE RACE!"

Zurbriggen won that race.

Sometimes a commentator gets caught up in the moment and can't see the forest for the trees. It's OK. We're all human.

4ster

Instructor
What I am suggesting would be to leave the finish mic on at perhaps the same or slightly lower volume than the other audio feeds all the way through.
They must have been listening. The way the sound was in the men’s slalom was just what I had in mind. At least in the 1st run I could hear the announcer top to bottom. Gonna watch the 2nd run now. I don’t speak much German/italIan/French but even then l was able to pick up on some & it helped follow along.

4ster

Instructor
I still don't see either Men's SL in "View All" , although i watched Saturday's race on demand last Saturday. I do see both Women's GS races
Try the search bar “men’s slalom January 17th”

4ster

Instructor
Weekend race schedule...

Alpine Skiing World Cup — Crans-Montana, Switzerland (women) and Kitzbühel, Austria (men)

DayTime (ET)EventNetwork
Friday4 a.m.Women’s DownhillOlympic Channel | Peacock Premium | STREAM LINK
5:30 a.m.Men’s DownhillOlympic Channel | Peacock Premium | STREAM LINK
Saturday4 a.m.Women’s DownhillOlympic Channel | Peacock Premium | STREAM LINK
5:30 a.m.Men’s DownhillPeacock Premium | STREAM LINK
4:30 p.m.*Women’s DownhillNBCSN | STREAM LINK
6 p.m.*Men’s DownhillNBCSN | STREAM LINK
Sunday4:20 a.m.Men’s Super-GPeacock Premium | STREAM LINK
6 a.m.Women’s Super-GOlympic Channel | Peacock Premium | STREAM LINK
6:30 p.m.*Women’s Super-GNBCSN | STREAM LINK

Sponsor

Staff online