• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TV coverage for 2020-2021?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I would be happy to watch the races in B&W lol.

Last season I had Snowpass, Olympic Channel, NBCSN & NBC. I would usually watch the first run on Snowpass then the 2nd run with the Porino commentary on whatever station was showing it, it was a nice mix. I'm not sure what I will do this year. My current DISH plan includes NBCSN & NBC but not the Olympic channel. I usually have to negotiate a deal with them as Olympic Channel is usually tied to some other movie or sports package I have no interest in. I think I will just wait till we are close to race time & try Peacock premium for a $5 month. Of course it won't be worth anything to me if they don't offer on demand.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
So I have not used Peacock Premium yet. But it appears I already have it for FREE on Xfinity.

So, does this mean I will now be able to get feeds for the World Cup ski races in Austria?
If so, can the races be accessed any time or only live?

If the former, I can have a small (socially distanced of course) Hahnenkamm party at a reason able time. Maybe I just settle for a Tuesday night Schladming happy hour.
:daffy:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I have not used Peacock Premium yet. But it appears I already have it for FREE on Xfinity.

So, does this mean I will now be able to get feeds for the World Cup ski races in Austria?

If the former, I can have a small (socially distanced of course) Hahnenkamm party at a reason able time. Maybe I just settle for a Tuesday night Schladming happy hour.
:daffy:
Thanks for the head's up...turns out I have it on Cox too! I just looked and I can see the listing for the upcoming races, but don't see a way to pull up Soelden. The only older race that shows up, for some reason, is the Women's Super G from the World Championships in Are.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

ORF is still doing their own thing for broadcast rights, so Peacock Premium will not have feeds of any Austrian races. There may still be the one-week delay for showing the Hahnenkammrennen, but no guarantees.

U.S. Ski and Snowboard was able to secure a live stream for Sölden, but I'm guessing it'll continue to be on a rolling race-to-race basis. It's a pity, but when skiing is Das Übersport in a country and their main national broadcast network controls the global broadcast rights... it gets messy.

VPN is your friend for Austrian races.

4ster

Instructor
ORF is still doing their own thing for broadcast rights, so Peacock Premium will not have feeds of any Austrian races. There may still be the one-week delay for showing the Hahnenkammrennen, but no guarantees.
Is this a new development? From the November 5th Ski Racing article...
Peacock Premium will be the exclusive home for International Ski Federation (FIS) events in Austria, starting with women’s and men’s Alpine skiing World Cup parallel races in Lech/Zuers on Nov. 26-27.

My DISH channel guide shows World Cup ski racing on Saturday, November 21 at 10 PM mountain time on NBCSN. It is dated 1-1-20 but I am thinking it is probably miss-dated and will be a delayed showing of Levi SL.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
ORF is still doing their own thing for broadcast rights, so Peacock Premium will not have feeds of any Austrian races.
Well, if that is the case, Peacock Premium is as useful as a Swiss Navy. I thought that was the entire point of it - to allow live access to Austrian races. :doh:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:rolleyes:
Totally.

As long as you have the secret cryptography book and the marauders' map and the one ring.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
So how does that work? You just VPN to your company's network and then watch it on ORF or a Euro Sport site? Hence, masking the location?
I was able to watch Solden via VPN - but that was a site provided by USST.
What site do folks use once connected via VPN?

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So how does that work? You just VPN to your company's network and then watch it on ORF or a Euro Sport site? Hence, masking the location?
:popcorn:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What site do folks use once connected via VPN?
Not necessarily anything to do with "your company". You buy and run a connection into a VPN (or get setup with a free one), which, yes, masks your location and lets you stream things you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Here's a recent CNET article:

I don't know about anyone else, but my work VPN gets me encrytped data into my work network, but does nothing good regarding internet access.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Not necessarily anything to do with "your company". You buy and run a connection into a VPN (or get setup with a free one), which, yes, masks your location and lets you stream things you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Here's a recent CNET article:

I don't know about anyone else, but my work VPN gets me encrytped data into my work network, but does nothing good regarding internet access.

Thank you, yes, the masking of location is the most important. What sites are folks using to see the races?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Right. But the steps AFTER that to get ski racing coverage are the ones that have stumped me so far. (As folks are probably tied of hearing me say.) All the ones I've seen documented in any detail turn out to have gotchas that I haven't managed to surmount. I don't doubt that some people have made it work but there is definitely an element of "if you have to ask you don't deserve to know" at play here. Possibly there are quasi legal aspects than no one wants to post about.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, if that is the case, Peacock Premium is as useful as a Swiss Navy. I thought that was the entire point of it - to allow live access to Austrian races. :doh:
Looking at Peacock again, I see the Lech Zurs Parallel events on the 26th and 27th... so at least some Austrian content will be shown.

As for the Olypmpic channel, they've got Levi listed for next weekend, but nothing the following weekend - so no Lech Zurs there.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Looking at Peacock again, I see the Lech Zurs Parallel events on the 26th and 27th... so at least some Austrian content will be shown.

As for the Olypmpic channel, they've got Levi listed for next weekend, but nothing the following weekend - so no Lech Zurs there.
In Xfinity, Levi has shown on Olympic channel as soon as soon as it was 14 days out. So if the Parallel events are in Peacock, that’s a good sign.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I see the programming on Peacock but it appear that you have to watch it live. I there any way to record on DVR or watch it later?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I see the programming on Peacock but it appear that you have to watch it live. I there any way to record on DVR or watch it later?

I'm assuming that once it has aired it will be available to be streamed as is typical of other programming.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm assuming that once it has aired it will be available to be streamed as is typical of other programming.
I'd think so too, but it doesn't look like that so far. You can't find Soelden on Peacock anywhere, for instance. I guess we'll see with Levi, since that removes any of the Austria rights issues if that's why Soelden isn't on there.

4ster

Instructor
I'd think so too, but it doesn't look like that so far. You can't find Soelden on Peacock anywhere, for instance. I guess we'll see with Levi, since that removes any of the Austria rights issues if that's why Soelden isn't on there.
Yep, I’m going to use Levi as a test run before I invest anything into Olympic Channel or Peacock. Looks like you get a free week of peacock premium when you begin.

Again this is from the original announcement so unless something has changed they should be covering all the races.
Peacock Premium will be the exclusive home for International Ski Federation (FIS) events in Austria, starting with women’s and men’s Alpine skiing World Cup parallel races in Lech/Zuers on Nov. 26-27.
Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to watch on demand.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Right. But the steps AFTER that to get ski racing coverage are the ones that have stumped me so far. (As folks are probably tied of hearing me say.) All the ones I've seen documented in any detail turn out to have gotchas that I haven't managed to surmount. I don't doubt that some people have made it work but there is definitely an element of "if you have to ask you don't deserve to know" at play here. Possibly there are quasi legal aspects than no one wants to post about.

A hint (without giving away actual URLs): look to national TV broadcasters of note in the big skiing countries. Sadly most of these don't offer on-demand, so live viewing would be the best option.

Another hint: if you can afford a subscription to EuroSport, that'll get you in the door for both live and on-demand viewing of every FIS Alpine World Cup event.

And if NBC Universal has solved "the Austrian Issue™" with Peacock Premium, that's great! And no surprise that Sölden wouldn't be grandfathered in if it pre-dates the current broadcast agreement.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also doing the Peacock Premium 7 day trial and cancelling if there is not an on-demand option for the world cup events. There seems to be some on demand broadcasts for other sports so I am optimistic that it will be available for skiing too. It is strange that they don’t just say though, one way or the other.

Sponsor