• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SnowCountry

Booting up
Skier
Tonight is the night before my first ski day of the season.

I'm nervous. Butterflies in my stomach.

Rock skis or good skis?

How will the crowds be tomorrow?

Will I still enjoy skiing? Or will I get bored an hour in and try to find a different hobby?

(Note to self: Doctor say to lose weight. Skiing extensively results in weight loss. In other words, doctor said go skiing!)

Lots of questions in my mind....but have all of my gear ready. I've been working out at the fitness center since September 5th and bought a season pass, so I darn well better enjoy it this season.

I've set a personal goal of 500,000 vertical feet this year. Hope to meet, or perhaps even beat, that total this year.

Good luck to all when your hill opens!

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have fun! Today should have been mine, but I hemmed and I hawed and I didn't get my work done in time. It's tough to be motivated when conditions are unclear.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Two weeks before our opening day. Can hardly wait. Get a teaser but no skiing next weekend on chairlift evac training. And of course our season kick off party

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the feeling! Last year I couldn't sleep so I got up and watched reruns of THE RIFLEMAN on tv.

th.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have fun! Today should have been mine, but I hemmed and I hawed and I didn't get my work done in time. It's tough to be motivated when conditions are unclear.
Same here. Lets make sure to get together to ski this year.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
This is my 73rd season of skiing. (Already been on snow two days). I get some anticipatory anxiety, kind of like looking forward to a chocolate cake desert, but I never wonder whether I'll get bored or "over" skiing. I cannot imagine that.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Packed the gear/boot bag, located everything in pretty short order, hummed and hawed a few moments about clothing choice, double checked weather forecast and made the layering call, went to bed. The only thing I worry about is whether or not I'll remember how to ski. I'm not so sure, but I tell myself I've managed most seasons so far, soooo.... just sleep, damn it. Just. Go. To. Sleep.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Pretty much get that excited to ski feeling everyday. It goes away in the summer.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Make sure the kids gear is dialed in right a day or two in advance..

Load the ski box, pack the boot bags in the car.. Make sandwiches and pack other lunch stuff..

Turn over and look at the clock every 11 minutes and see how many more hours until 6AM... pretty much all night long..

Get to the resort... get the lift tickets.. click in and suddenly realize I never scraped the wax turning in to the corral making the first half a run a little sketchy hahahaha.. Pretty much the same every season first tracks no matter which skis I decide to start out on..

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get "butterflies" the first few times I see the mountain at the beginning of the season. I don't worry the night before, but getting ready in the morning is pretty simple for just me. Right now it still feels like last season just ended. Weird, but I don't usually ski into May like I did this year.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And all through the house,
The skis are tuned and waxed,
The snows are on the car,
The mud mats are in place,
The Gortex has been cleaned and DWR-d,
The wool's been washed,
The Colorado Free Ride is out of the box,
The heated boot bag is in the mud room,
The gloves have been Snow Sealed,
The passes are on laniards,

Alta opening day is Wednesday. I'm really not that excited.