• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Donalds97

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just got a secondhand pair of Elan Amphibio WaveFlex 12 (full specs here) and was having some thoughts on the edge angles. Each ski has a rockered edge on the outside of the ski, and a cambered edge on the inside of the ski. The idea is when turning the downhill ski will have full edge contact and the uphill ski will have partial contact.

I’ve been Skiing since I could walk but am in no way a tuning expert. Ill usually go for a .75-1 base edge and 88-89 side edge, spend most of my time in northeast mountains that lean way more towards ice than powder.

My question is would it be beneficial to set the inside edge differently than the outside edge? If the concept of the ski is to get a powerful grip on the inside cambered edge would it make sense to cut that angle a bit sharper? Not sure if a shop would even do this and not looking to try it myself but thought it would be cool to try and fit my skiing style.

Anyone have any thoughts? Much Appreciated!

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah it might make sense, esp if you are always following left/right skis particularly.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I just got a secondhand pair of Elan Amphibio WaveFlex 12 (full specs here) and was having some thoughts on the edge angles. Each ski has a rockered edge on the outside of the ski, and a cambered edge on the inside of the ski. The idea is when turning the downhill ski will have full edge contact and the uphill ski will have partial contact.

I’ve been Skiing since I could walk but am in no way a tuning expert. Ill usually go for a .75-1 base edge and 88-89 side edge, spend most of my time in northeast mountains that lean way more towards ice than powder.

My question is would it be beneficial to set the inside edge differently than the outside edge? If the concept of the ski is to get a powerful grip on the inside cambered edge would it make sense to cut that angle a bit sharper? Not sure if a shop would even do this and not looking to try it myself but thought it would be cool to try and fit my skiing style.

Anyone have any thoughts? Much Appreciated!
That's wack. Never do it!

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it's Amphibio, so that's the idea... fixed right and left skis.
Yeah, but some people don’t pay attention, or they’re ok with trying the opposite. When Marker had their shift binding, many people would have one set on 1 and the other set on 3.
Others, hate the idea of left and right skis, so Elan amphibio is a non starter to them.

Jacques

Skier
Well it's Amphibio, so that's the idea... fixed right and left skis.
Sort of. The idea is to switch them for different ways or conditions of skiing too.
Anyway, no need to tune edges different. The strange tips will do their thing.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have Elan Spectrum 105 ALU. I wouldn't mess with the edge angles. The amphibio profile will, in theory, "compensate," if you will. Essentially your tune idea would create a super-amphibio, if that makes sense.

FWIW, I love my Elans.Very underrated ski.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve demo them a few times in the past and found them unpleasant. One of the few skis that I couldn’t get used to even after 2 or 3 runs. For me a skis should feel the same inside edge or outside edge, because of this intentional twist they engage differently and no amount of compensation corrects this. Now in concept this did seem like a good idea, but for someone that focuses on edge feel it is very unbalanced feel.

My guess is you are either going to like it (a lot) or hate it (a lot) unfortunately which is what I fall under.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't mess with the edge angles. The amphibio profile will, in theory, "compensate," if you will. Essentially your tune idea would create a super-amphibio, if that makes sense.

FWIW, I love my Elans.Very underrated ski.

Exactly. Tune inside and outside identically.

I love my Wingman 82s. A slalom-ish profile in a ski that can be bent into fun, tight carves when skiing at slower speeds.

Jacques

Skier
Some may do that, but that's not the intent of the design at all. The skis are dedicated right and left skis and are labeled as such.
Yes, I am aware of that. Seems they have made them even more so now.

Sponsor

Staff online