• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
That door shape allows the mirrors to be positioned a couple inches lower than normal. From the drivers perspective, it opens up visibility above the mirror. Great design. Safety item.

Our F250 SuperDuty had those windows. I hated the ergonomics of that truck, I could never get really comfortable. I was so happy when she was ready to be done with the 5th wheel and acquire a condo instead.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I haven't seen either truck around since probably 4th of July weekend. I know on closing weekend at Breck they were "mingling" or hiding in the gondola parking lot.

I saw a camouflaged Ford F150 today coming down LL pass. It was hoisting a trailer so they were doing some high altitude tow testing.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw this guy coming home from A-basin yesterday. Any guesses? I'm clueless.

I thought this was the same truck in all photos. I drove by it and took pictures of the driver's side. It pulled behind me and followed me over the pass. I pulled off on the other side and got pictures of the passenger side.

Looking at the pictures now, it looks like they somehow swapped trucks on me somewhere on the pass? But I was watching it in my rear view mirror the whole time??? :huh:

PXL_20210521_221503066.jpg
PXL_20210521_221502658.jpg
PXL_20210521_221503716.jpg
PXL_20210521_221706923.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210521_221705695.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I saw this guy coming home from A-basin yesterday. Any guesses? I'm clueless.

I thought this was the same truck in all photos. I drove by it and took pictures of the driver's side. It pulled behind me and followed me over the pass. I pulled off on the other side and got pictures of the passenger side.

Looking at the pictures now, it looks like they somehow swapped trucks on me somewhere on the pass? But I was watching it in my rear view mirror the whole time??? :huh:

View attachment 134346 View attachment 134347 View attachment 134348 View attachment 134349 View attachment 134350
The first one looks like a GM and the second looks like a Ford.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been coming to A-Basin for about 15 years, if you include multiple times a year it is up around 25-30 times. There has not been a trip where we haven't seen some sort of prototype there that was doing high elevation testing. If you go behind the Arapahoe Cafe, there is a small motor lodge where many of these brands stay and camp out.
This past trip was the first time that we went to A-Basin that we did not see one test vehicle.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The first one looks like a GM and the second looks like a Ford.
Thanks. It's the craziest thing. I was sure that was the same truck. Here's where I passed it and watched it pull out behind me in my rearview mirror.

PXL_20210521_221501539.jpg

I watched it as much as I could going over the pass. It was never too far behind, and I never saw another truck. Guess I'd be a terrible witness.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The second truck in the second pic from the bottom is Ford's new EV F-150.

Ok, this is just a guess on my part but I do not see a tail pipe (maybe it is there but I just can't see it). Also the EV F-150 is built on a "skateboard" platform chassis that contains the batteries. That thick frame visible below the doors could be the chassis platform. :huh:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wheels and mirrors are different. Front windows different too. So could GM vs Ford.
Mirrors, door handles and cab shape are definitely GM on the first one. It also has the steps in the corners of the bumper. Windows, mirrors and cab shape of second are definitely Ford.

ETA the GM is barely disguised so it might just be there to run interference.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw the same trucks as @tball Sat AM WB on I-70 (led by what looked to be a white 2022 Suburban, which seems even more bloated than its predecessors, with those same Michigan mfrs. plates but no camouflage), and then again Sat PM driving around west Vail.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm starting to think that the point of the camouflage isn't to hide anything but rather to bring attention to what they are testing. :duck:

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw the same trucks as @tball Sat AM WB on I-70 (led by what looked to be a white 2022 Suburban, which seems even more bloated than its predecessors, with those same Michigan mfrs. plates but no camouflage), and then again Sat PM driving around west Vail.
Interesting, thanks. It makes one wonder why two camouflaged trucks by two different manufacturers are driving around together? Strange.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting, thanks. It makes one wonder why two camouflaged trucks by two different manufacturers are driving around together? Strange.
Either one of the auto media outlets got a couple different new trucks to road test or one is a decoy.

Sponsor