• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two of my favorite sports...

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Bike racing and snow sports! The O Gran Camino, Stage 1.

SnowBike.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do that all winter long!

With slightly wider, studded tires. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
If it's less than 60 degrees in St Pete I go to the gym.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Psh, what is this "gym" you speak of? I clicked on the tread and saw a picture of a bike and a temp.. and immediately thought, HA! I can beat that! I've never been a gym going person, always just did a couple sports regularly and called it good.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That looks fun! Our local skate park is about a quarter that size and somewhat inconveniently located in relation to where I am in town.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I mean, it's really individual preference isn't it? some folks can't physically do the lower stem too..

and then there's ...errr...gravel :)

So, if @Tony Storaro is referring to the under-bar spacers, those are part of the final result of this particular multi-season fight:

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/steering-damper.20211/#post-501364 and there is no way I am going down that rabbithole with that frame again.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you referring to the uncut steerer section above the handlebar? Or the spacers under it?

No let me explain-normally the hoods section of the handlebars would be parallel or almost parallel to the ground. In this case it points down which means you are searching for lower position of your hands and bigger difference in vertical between the saddle and the handlebars. That's why I thought you could probably benefit from removing a spacer or two from the steerer tube below the handlebars. I think you are underestimating your flexibility ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, it's really individual preference isn't it? some folks can't physically do the lower stem too..

True. But he is obviously searching for a lower position of the hands that's why the hoods point down.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Ah. Now I understand.

True. But he is obviously searching for a lower position of the hands that's why the hoods point down.

Not exactly. They point down because that shift lever angle helps me avoid finger bang on root - heavy woods paths. I did a thread on it way back when.

I actually rode part of the path in question yesterday (different bike, ofc):

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah. Now I understand.

Not exactly. They point down because that shift lever angle helps me avoid finger bang on root - heavy woods paths. I did a thread on it way back when.

So you did that on purpose? I mean like…consciously?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes.

I know, I know, it violates like every roadie precept ever.

EDIT: well almost every...some of the Aussies are coming 'round:

Actually what he says is what I was thinking about-flat hoods or even slightly upwards and moved towards you-best comfort.
Hoods down is a common sight on the older bikes with quill stems but there this is the only way to adjust the heght and get lower and I am sure as heck this cannot be comfortable.

But anyway, this is your bike and if you are comfy on it who am I to tell you what is what… :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January