• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two-piece or three-piece vises?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Recently needed to get vises in resort. Was looking for three-piece options, but not a single shop had them. I ended up taking a two-piece one. It's heavy duty, and to my surprise it was labelled on the box, for what that's worth, as a race tuning product, and the shops I looked in draw a lot of local racers. (Maybe they'd taken all the good ones?) My understanding is that a two-piecer is fine for waxing, brushing and polishing with a diamond stone, but if you're taking a file to an edge, there's too much risk of bounce. But that's just what I've been told, and you get told all sorts don't you.
Haven't needed to use them with a file yet - should I upgrade my vises/find a spare centre piece before I do?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not sure if we mean same thing with 2 or 3 piece vises. But if you mean with "2 piece" something like this:
https://www.swixsport.com/globalassets/inriver/resources/t0149-50.jpg?width=1280
just without that center piece, then it really depends on ski. For race skis, I have never been using center piece, except when mounting plates. For powder and ski touring skis on the other hand, I normally use it, as they are much much softer and they bend too much without support in middle. Talking here about working on base. When doing edges and have ski in vertically, it's always just front and back piece without center piece.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure if we mean same thing with 2 or 3 piece vises. But if you mean with "2 piece" something like this:
https://www.swixsport.com/globalassets/inriver/resources/t0149-50.jpg?width=1280
just without that center piece, then it really depends on ski. For race skis, I have never been using center piece, except when mounting plates. For powder and ski touring skis on the other hand, I normally use it, as they are much much softer and they bend too much without support in middle. Talking here about working on base. When doing edges and have ski in vertically, it's always just front and back piece without center piece.
Yes, there was no centre piece at the bindings, just the two end ones. Talking race skis - I will gladly do what you're doing. Thanks!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jaws of the Beast FTW IMO.

Of course, Toko for ALL my wax needs. Seriously.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
The set of vises I'm using now are very heavy, fine until they have to fly. Are the lighter-weight plastic vises out there reliable enough for tuning race skis, or am I just going to have to take the hit on excess baggage?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Jaws of the Beast FTW IMO.

Of course, Toko for ALL my wax needs. Seriously.
Inexpensive, and it works when one know how to best use it.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's the weight @Jacques ? As feared, I've had to add another bag to my flight just to carry my vise. The return cost would be more than the price of some cheaper bits of kit. Do lightweight plastic vises work or do they bounce too much? Thinking there must be a reason race vises are so heavy.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the one @Philpug linked. Mostly, I don't bother to use the middle section. Of course I used the "no scrape" method of waxing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I use the one @Philpug linked. Mostly, I don't bother to use the middle section. Of course I used the "no scrape" method of waxing.
You can use a basic two piece, if you move them to the extremities of the tip and tail.

Jacques

Skier
What's the weight @Jacques ? As feared, I've had to add another bag to my flight just to carry my vise. The return cost would be more than the price of some cheaper bits of kit. Do lightweight plastic vises work or do they bounce too much? Thinking there must be a reason race vises are so heavy.
Bounce? Works fine for me for many years. Weight? Never weighed it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I have enough room to put the 2 vice pieces at the very ends of the ski, I don't really need the center piece. But for my longest skis on my improvised bench, I need to hold the center down to scrape the ends, which extend beyond the vice.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bounce? Works fine for me for many years. Weight? Never weighed it.
Sorry, two questions, not necessarily related. 1. Is the jaws of the beast thing lightweight? 2. Are the heavy metal vises marketed as race kit heavy because race kit needs to be heavy to prevent imprecision from excess vibration?

Jacques

Skier
Sorry, two questions, not necessarily related. 1. Is the jaws of the beast thing lightweight? 2. Are the heavy metal vises marketed as race kit heavy because race kit needs to be heavy to prevent imprecision from excess vibration?
I don't have any vibration issues. I use both hands. Depending which end slots used when the ski is on edge, you can create a load, so it's not loose. I assume compared to a metal vice it's light, but again, never weighed it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Looking again at this, the World Cup is the only one with end pieces that securely holds the ski, right? With the others, is the ski just resting in a groove, and the only thing clamped is the bench?
Yes. Be nice if they combined the clamping side units with the wide free ride vise.
All these appear built by the same company with different colors.

Last edited:

Sponsor