• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two Years for a Lifetime of Disability, Pain, and Expense

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have followed this story and Bernie’s social media since this assault happened. I drive by the accident scene frequently. I have ridden the exact section of road. I’ve had private conversation with him. He has been an inspiration and a source of laughs. Yesterday, his assailant was finally sentenced. I wish it were more but at least it’s something.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is a really telling statement and I fully agree.
I feel strongly that the only fitting punishment would be for him to bear full financial responsibility for the harm he caused, and to never again operate a motor vehicle. But in this country we give such priority to cars and their drivers that punishment of that nature is deemed so severe as to be almost unthinkable, even in consideration of the grave injuries I will now live with,” Bernstein said, noting that while he agrees the punishment is warranted, it’s far from adequate.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have followed this story and Bernie’s social media since this assault happened. I drive by the accident scene frequently. I have ridden the exact section of road. I’ve had private conversation with him. He has been an inspiration and a source of laughs. Yesterday, his assailant was finally sentenced. I wish it were more but at least it’s something.

Two years certainly seems like not much.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I'm glad this guy was caught, prosecuted, and punished. Two years in prison, however, is appropriate. There's a limit to the context I can give this comment without getting into politics, criminal justice research, and law— a direction I'm sure the mods wouldn't appreciate. So for now I'll say that while nothing can make the victim whole again, justice was certainly served here.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm glad this guy was caught, prosecuted, and punished. Two years in prison, however, is appropriate. There's a limit to the context I can give this comment without getting into politics, criminal justice research, and law— a direction I'm sure the mods wouldn't appreciate. So for now I'll say that while nothing can make the victim whole again, justice was certainly served here.

I think I know where you’d go. It’s a subject matter I’ve really struggled with since starting law school but I agree, here is not the place. It mentions restitution but isn’t specific. I wish that a portion of his wages would be garnished for the rest of Bernie’s life to assist Bernie with the financial implications.

Wow. A very thoughtful and well worded statement.

He is a really a great writer. I believe he currently works for Wahoo. I suggest following his social media.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Two years is appropriate??!! Damn, I wish you could expand on your logic. That doesn't seem even remotely fair to me. Two years might have been consistent with our justice system, but it is certainly not fair to me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a crazy story. The idea that it took over a year to press charges, and nearly another year to make an arrest is crazy.
Two years to make an arrest and two years plead out....
Just crazy.

I sincerely hope that Andrew Bernstein finds some financial relief.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I’d really like to understand the delay between warrant and arrest. I know it took a long time to figure our who did it though.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Yeah, I’d really like to understand the delay between warrant and arrest. I know it took a long time to figure our who did it though.
I was wondering when I read the article how they figured out who the identity of the culprit.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wish that a portion of his wages would be garnished for the rest of Bernie’s life to assist Bernie with the financial implications.
I like this idea - could be used in many different instances.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was wondering when I read the article how they figured out who the identity of the culprit.
Honestly, I think its because he talked, though that is my own speculation.
A really close friend of mine was murdered back in 1981 (I was 14 at the time). The detective working on her case said that the #1 reason they usually catch criminals is because they usually can't help but tell someone what they did.
In this case, he may have felt guilty enough that he needed to get it off his chest, but not guilty enough to turn himself in.

From the story -
As reported by the Daily Camera, Grattan’s attorney claimed his client did not realize he had hit someone. But in the police affidavit, an associate reported that Grattan had confessed to her, “I think I hit the guy” and that it was “just a little tap”—and that he also knew Bernstein was in the hospital.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I'm interested in details of the incident that led to the charges.
It seems as if what really got him in trouble was leaving the scene. Had he stopped and rendered aid and called for help I suspect he would be serving no time in jail, unless he was impaired.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A really close friend of mine was murdered back in 1981 (I was 14 at the time). The detective working on her case said that the #1 reason they usually catch criminals is because they usually can't help but tell someone what they did.
In this case, he may have felt guilty enough that he needed to get it off his chest, but not guilty enough to turn himself in.

From the story -
As reported by the Daily Camera, Grattan’s attorney claimed his client did not realize he had hit someone. But in the police affidavit, an associate reported that Grattan had confessed to her, “I think I hit the guy” and that it was “just a little tap”—and that he also knew Bernstein was in the hospital.

I was reading another article that said they id'd and found the van that he was in, and it was registered to him, etc. I guess I would have to go back and read details, but I still didn't understand what took so long.

edit: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ng-boulder-county-cyclist-and-then-taking-off

Admittedly, 2020 was a bit of a year, so I can understand some delays.

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

Skier

From the story -
This is totally true. I was talking with a couple of my buddies who are cops and they said, if you want to kill someone and don't want to get caught, just don't talk! It's not CSI! Just shut up! And even if you get arrested, don't tell anyone you did it. Get a lawyer! They said many people even straight up confess to police. They just don't get it.

I'm not condoning this by the way..this is just the human behaviour they observe.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Here’s an article that gives a bit more detail.

Very good investigating finding the van on video footage from different places. However, it seems the wheels of justice turn very slowly from how long it took to charge him after they found the van and identified the owner.