• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"What brand binding are on the Elan skis?"
Elan buys Head/Tyrolia bindings with the Elan label. Ditto for Fischer, Kästle, each labeled for that brand.

Ebay sellers have some Tyrolia bases, but I don't know which may fit Protectors. One could contact the seller and ask. I don't see any [P] brakes for Protectors.

Jomo

Booting up
Skier
This is interesting, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back. I was trying out my daughter‘s skis which I had mounted with PR13s on twin rails and I had therefore adjusted the bindings for my larger BSL. I got a release at the turn in phase at about 30mph and couldn“t figure out what had happened. Clicked back in as i thought maybe i had some snow under the toe but happened again a few turns later (which hurt a bit!). Took a look at the forward pressure on the side of the piste and it was way low. I figured I must have messed up the binding adjustment so mowed the toe piece back on both skis to ensure correct pressure. It was OK after that. Now I am wondering whether I had set it correctly but maybe there is something about the rail/binding that we need to be super careful of - could it somehow slip fwd a notch even though it seems to have seated well? Going to keep an eye on this thread….
Toe piece slipped forward on mine.

coercion

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Dug the tips while turning. Left ejected, right did not. Can't fault marketing - 50% reduction in ACL injuries.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
"What brand binding are on the Elan skis?"
Elan ELW 11 bindings.
1000021187.jpg

mjk

Booting up
Skier
Something I noticed when trying to set the attack mn version of these bindings up with touring boots was that the forward pressure would be correct initially but over 30 seconds or so the indicator would move outside the range - I am guessing the softer plastics were slowly compressing? No idea really.
I gave up and used alpine boots.

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Does this Protector binding absolutely require a system-style rail setup? Can it be done in a "flat" setup?
The PR 13 requires one of the PR system rails and there are a few to choose from. The Attack Protector doesn’t have a rail per se. The toe piece uses the normal Attack demo rail but it is very low profile. That would be the way to get a protector binding with as close as possible to a flat set up.

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The PR 13 requires one of the PR system rails and there are a few to choose from. The Attack Protector doesn’t have a rail per se. The toe piece uses the normal Attack demo rail but it is very low profile. That would be the way to get a protector binding with as close as possible to a flat set up.
I am thinking about putting a pair of Protectors on set of Rossignol Arcade 88 skis. PR 13 or Attack Protector?

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I am thinking about putting a pair of Protectors on set of Rossignol Arcade 88 skis. PR 13 or Attack Protector?
I would say either would be fine. Interested in what others think. The stand height is 33.5mm for the PR13 and 32mm for the Attack Protector per the Tyrolia website. Not much in it.

Yearning4POW

Booting up
Skier
Disclaimer: I'm a new skier, started last year in Jan 2023. And now only have 2 seasons worth of experience. I can ski blues and some blacks with confidence in the VT area.

Hi all, based on this thread I recently ended up buying the 2024 Head Protector Attack 13 MN ski bindings. Here is something I noticed and got to experience:

1 - does anyone feel its harder to step in with the heel? Like I felt it puts more pressure on my knees vs Marker Griffon 13 demo bindings that I have on my daily driver. I got the Protector mounted on a new pair of skis and took it back to the shop and they confirmed it was mounted correctly. I was surprised by now it put more pressure on my knee to click in the heel. Not sure if its cause its a new binding and need to break them in but I thought it was off. And to be fair I only got to ski them for a day. Didn't get more use.

2 - Unfortunately I did get to test out the side heel release. I was going down a small blue traverse and some how lost control and got sideways. And I guess my uphill leg inside edge got caught and I fell. As I fell, the heel released. It worked! And I'm glad it did cause I was afraid of going backwards and going down the side cliff hahaha. Also, the Din is set to 6.5.

Thank you.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would say either would be fine. Interested in what others think. The stand height is 33.5mm for the PR13 and 32mm for the Attack Protector per the Tyrolia website. Not much in it.
if you are not a hard charger or heavyweight Protector SLR has a 28mm stand height and weighs 975g per binding

According to a Blister podcast there will be a Flat Mount Protector Attack next season, perhaps @Philpug can confirm, that is if Toyota doesn't have him under not under a non-disclosure agreement.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
if you are not a hard charger or heavyweight Protector SLR has a 28mm stand height and weighs 975g per binding

According to a Blister podcast there will be a Flat Mount Protector Attack next season, perhaps @Philpug can confirm, that is if Toyota doesn't have him under not under a non-disclosure agreement.

Yes, a fixed toe Protector is coming but it is also the 33.5 mm stand height.

Skighandi

Booting up
Skier

I'm running the SLR on my Nordica Enforcer 104 Free for a lower stand height. This year I probably have 20 days on them, skiing them on pow days in Tahoe, St. Anton, Lech, and Warth Austria --- bootpacks and descents in wild snow to distant villages following pro guides. I'm 180 lbs (but not charging like I used to now that I'm 61 years old). Yet objectively I would say I'm skiing them pretty hard. I've had no issues with the SLR.

Sponsor

Staff online