• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been trying to find Power Rails also. Today I stopped at the workshop for my local shop and the guy there didn't know anything about ordering anything, and told me to stop by their retail shop. So I did that, they took my info, and said they would check with the guys at the workshop and let me know. I'm not holding my breath.
I got a call back today - they can only order the entire binding. I recall someone ordered them through REI? I went to my local REI and even though their website claims that location has a full ski shop, I didn't see anything downhill skiing related on the floor. I'm not sure where they were hiding the full shop the website claims they have?

I guess I can see why Tyrolia wouldn't want the rails to be widely available, but there's got to be some sort of backdoor way to get them. I mean, what if my dog ate the rails on my current skis??? It could happen!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-I went to my local REI and even though their website claims that location has a full ski shop, I didn't see anything downhill skiing related on the floor. I'm not sure where they were hiding the full shop the website claims they have?
Sounds like the website needs updating or it is referring to shop services and not sales floor merchandise.
I have two REI locations in my area, the closest location, ~ 10 minute drive is not carrying Skis, Boots, Bindings this season, the employees are hoping corporate will bring Ski gear back to the store next year. The store still offers full ski shop services, boot-fitting work, mounting bindings, ski tune ups and so on. It also is the location with a dedicated year round "REI Garage" used and discontinued merchandise store adjacent to the main store which has plenty of garage sale Alpine and Nordic skis boots bindings poles etc, lots of deals to be had there.
The other and much newer location by a popular shopping mall ~25 - 30 minutes away is carrying Skis, Boots, Bindings etc. That location does not do Garage Sale Merch.
Whatever they end up doing, I'm thankful the new location by the huge shopping complex and probably the last thriving huge shopping mall was not a replacement for the old one closer to me.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a call back today - they can only order the entire binding. I recall someone ordered them through REI? I went to my local REI and even though their website claims that location has a full ski shop, I didn't see anything downhill skiing related on the floor. I'm not sure where they were hiding the full shop the website claims they have?

I guess I can see why Tyrolia wouldn't want the rails to be widely available, but there's got to be some sort of backdoor way to get them. I mean, what if my dog ate the rails on my current skis??? It could happen!
@tomahawkins was able to get extras through REI. When I called they said they no longer do special orders. I was able to get a second set when I ordered the bindings through my local shop. I just told them I wanted to swap the bindings between 2 sets of skis. They did charge $50 for the second set of rails which seems really high. I would think busy shops would have extras around as some skis come with the PR base already mounted so the set in the box would not be used...

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
Other brands have also does this type of integration ie Salomon.

Oh yes, you are correct of course on that. Nothing like this currently for a Tyrolia Protector though, as far as I know. Either way, would rather have a flat ski in most cases, just my preferrence.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are probably a couple of reasons to not sell the plate separately. First is liability. A mere mortal swapping bindings back and forth? HERESY! And second, why sell plates when you can sell two pair of bindings for significantly more money?

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
There are probably a couple of reasons to not sell the plate separately. First is liability. A mere mortal swapping bindings back and forth? HERESY! And second, why sell plates when you can sell two pair of bindings for significantly more money?
Yeah I could also see where it may cut down on theivery... if the mounts are widely available for low cost it makes the quickly removeable bindings that much more attractive.

But dag nabbit, my Mark IV Comps need to see snow again and this would be a great way to do it for the one or two times I'd want to use them each season.

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, new to the board. First time buying bindings, just got this in the mail...this doesn't look right, does it? Seems like the PowerRail is missing and screws?

Anything else came in the box that seems missing?

IMG_2237.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey all, new to the board. First time buying bindings, just got this in the mail...this doesn't look right, does it? Seems like the PowerRail is missing and screws?

View attachment 193020
Yup, you are missing the rails. I'd contact whoever you purchased them from.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 193020
If I remember correctly the bases were tucked in the side slots of the box, screws in the bases.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sort of related - I'm trying to get some Powerrail bases ordered so I can swap one set of protectors between skis. Any thoughts on the difference between the Tyrolia Multiflex PR Base vs Head Superflex PR Base? If not related enough, shame me and I'll start a new thread.
I’ve tried special ordering both the SuperFlex and Multiflex PR base from Tyrolia through REI, but no luck. It seems only the Twin PR Base is available via special order. Hmmm, maybe there’s a market for a race plate PR Base…

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Buy them from a brick and mortar store. They will probably have the plates and jig to install them. Don't buy boots and bindings on the internet. You won't have that issue.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, no they do not.
It depends. like an old flame you haven’t seen in 40 years, it could be …. Disappointing? Nothing against old skis ( or flames) but some things are better left in the happy memories basket. As good as those were in their time you may find them underwhelming now. On the other hand people drive technologically outdated classic cars and love them. Once or twice a year for a grin sounds fine to me if they are solid.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier

View attachment 193020
I ordered a set of Tyrolia Protector SLR GW 11 bindings 11 for my wife's Head Pure Joy skis (2022). They came just as shown in your picture. There were no rails (or screws). They just slid onto the existing rails on the Pure Joy skis. It would have been nice to get a set of rails so that I could mount them on another pair of skis and allow me to move the bindings as needed.
2023-02-1900.02.046347678058168392682.jpg

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I ordered a set of Tyrolia Protector SLR GW 11 bindings 11 for my wife's Head Pure Joy skis (2022). They came just as shown in your picture. There were no rails (or screws). They just slid onto the existing rails on the Pure Joy skis. It would have been nice to get a set of rails so that I could mount them on another pair of skis and allow me to move the bindings as needed. View attachment 193184
Ok what the hecks happening I thought these would only be available '23-'24? How much were they and where did you buy them?

Can you weigh them for us?