• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are almost giving me an evil idea...but I think it won't be doable. I have a very old Head i.SL (from 2003)...
Unfortunately the plate is not one where the bindings are slinding onto, rather toe and heel are screwed into it...so no good for simply sliding 'em out and sliding a Protector in...
PR Protectors with the Twin PR Base have the same stack height as current Head plates + bindings. Just do it, what do you have to lose?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Nothing but last time I brought at a shop those Heads to have them waxed and edge set, the skiman just laughed and said "man, those belong to a museum!".
Imagine what would say if I were to go there and say: "Would you be so kind, Sir, as to put some Protectors on these 2003 m.y. Head SL, please?" :roflmao:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm new to ski equipments. I saw the pictures you posted earlier with them on 71mm waist width skis. It seems like the brakes has some extra space to the skis' edges without the boots in them. And it became narrower when the boots are in the bindings so it won't affect the actual skiing. I guess this is the ideal situation in both cases?
Besides, what are the general problems if the brake are indeed to wide for the ski?
Yes, all brakes retract into the ski when the boot clicks in, just some better than others. A problem with Protectors is the brakes have to stay below the lateral siding mechanism and are thus lower than brakes on racing bindings.

When brakes are to wide they drag in the snow. But has anyone ever broken a brake due to snow/ice drag? Has anyone ever "booted" out because of the brake? Not me. Skiers obsess over brake widths probably more than needed.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing but last time I brought at a shop those Heads to have them waxed and edge set, the skiman just laughed and said "man, those belong to a museum!".
Imagine what would say if I were to go there and say: "Would you be so kind, Sir, as to put some Protectors on these 2003 m.y. Head SL, please?" :roflmao:
They will laugh, but they will also take your money.

LeoHunt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes, all brakes retract into the ski when the boot clicks in, just some better than others. A problem with Protectors is the brakes have to stay below the lateral siding mechanism and are thus lower than brakes on racing bindings.

When brakes are to wide they drag in the snow. But has anyone ever broken a brake due to snow/ice drag? Has anyone ever "booted" out because of the brake? Not me. Skiers obsess over brake widths probably more than needed.
Thanks for the reply.

"The brakes are too wide so they will drag in the snow". That's what I heard when I first ask some stores about this Protectors PR 13 with 85mm brakes on my 66mm skis. However, now I guess if the brake could retract hard, it will be much less narrower than the original width (85mm) so it won't drag while skiing hence no problem at all? I got your point of the Protectors brakes have to stay low due to the design. But I think perhaps the brake width after retraction (boots in) matters more than the hight of the brake position, when we are talking about if they would drag in the snow?

Besides, there are some combinations of 66/68mm skis with 85mm brake bindings sold as a set. Like the Head Worldcup Rebels e-SL 68mm waist with Freeflex binding of 85mm brake, and Supershape e-Original 66mm waist with PPD 12 GW of 85mm brake. Some are even having the Supershape e-Original 66mm waist with Protector PR 13 of 85mm brake. I mean if they're selling it like this, it should just work fine right?

Meanwhile, are there any downside of wider brake when you're not skiing? I think the two only points are: 1) It kind of looks weird due to the relatively large gap between the edge and the brake. 2) It might be hard to carry the skis also due to the gaps as they might slide around? Perhaps someone could illustrate on this part.

I'm planning to buy the Protectors PR 13 and see how they work. Unfortunately, most stores don't have them in stock and I have to wait 2-3 weeks to order a pair... Hopefully it will work so I don't need to buy new skis:eek:. I'll post some images here after the test.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

James

Out There
Instructor
I saw a guy yesterday blowing snow on a flatish groomer. At first I thought he had twin tips, but the snow was spraying from under the foot. Both feet. But you don’t see that much.

LeoHunt

Skier
I saw a guy yesterday blowing snow on a flatish groomer. At first I thought he had twin tips, but the snow was spraying from under the foot. Both feet. But you don’t see that much.
If the trail is somewhat flat, then the brakes must be much wider than the waist to blow the snow? Like more than 20mm wide, maybe even 25 or 30mm.
I mean it's not safe to ski in this condition right? The brakes would probably be shattered into pieces or they might cause someone to fall.

James

Out There
Instructor
If the trail is somewhat flat, then the brakes must be much wider than the waist to blow the snow? Like more than 20mm wide, maybe even 25 or 30mm.
I mean it's not safe to ski in this condition right? The brakes would probably be shattered into pieces or they might cause someone to fall.
No, they just didn’t retract enough. He was spraying basically going straight, no side slope. Probably ice under the heel pad, but who knows, it wasn’t top shelf gear.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It might be hard to carry the skis also due to the gaps as they might slide around?
Ski straps, one at the tip, one at the tail. They keep the skis from touching and being squirrely when carrying them.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
2) It might be hard to carry the skis also due to the gaps as they might slide around? Perhaps someone could illustrate on this part.

Ski straps, one at the tip, one at the tail. They keep the skis from touching and being squirrely when carrying them.

There are some who only use straps at the start and end of the day for long carrying periods.

For short and brief or momentary ski carrying time, for example leaving the skis momentarily on a rack (during lunch or toilet break or whatever), or carrying the skis on a short traverse, straps aren't put on.

So still curious if 85mm brakes would slide side to side on sub 70mm skis for these brief periods of locking the breaks and carrying the skis without straps.

LeoHunt

Skier
So still curious if 85mm brakes would slide side to side on sub 70mm skis for these brief periods of locking the breaks and carrying the skis without straps.
That's what I'm wondering about too. If you try to lift both skis vertically with one binding while the bindings were locked, I guess it will slip sideways sometimes when you're walking due to the gap space. But you can still carry them this way as they are not likely to fall out completely.
I think it will be better if you carry them horizontally on your shoulder.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what I'm wondering about too. If you try to lift both skis vertically with one binding while the bindings were locked, I guess it will slip sideways sometimes when you're walking due to the gap space. But you can still carry them this way as they are not likely to fall out completely.
I think it will be better if you carry them horizontally on your shoulder.
If I'm just going a short distance I hook my fingers under the toe piece of the ski with the brake on the bottom to hold up the other ski, then lay my thumb against the sidewalls to give some anti-slip. It works pretty good.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
If I'm just going a short distance I hook my fingers under the toe piece of the ski with the brake on the bottom to hold up the other ski, then lay my thumb against the sidewalls to give some anti-slip. It works pretty good.
Do the 85mm breaks still "click" on sub 70mm skis when joined/locked together? I think the "click" is all I'm looking for. I can support them with my shoulders or fingers or thumb (as you do), but they have to click in place.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, this works very well, I do the same for short walks back to the car.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do the 85mm breaks still "click" on sub 70mm skis when joined/locked together? I think the "click" is all I'm looking for. I can support them with my shoulders or fingers or thumb (as you do), but they have to click in place.
Yes, they do click. Just tried it on a pair of Head Powerjoys at 68 with 85mm brake.

Slider

Booting up
Skier
About Protector SLR 11 GW in Tyrolia 23/24 catalog:

The new Protector SLR offers FULL HEEL RELEASE technology at a lower weight as well as a lower stand height. Therefore, this binding is particularly suitable for lightweight, female and young skiers. Based on the SLR system the Protector SLR works with all flat skis or skis with pre-mounted SLR Pro base.
DIN 3-11
Boot type A/GW
Weight 1950 g
Stand height 28 mm
Ramp 2mm
Tech : TX Toe with TRP system / AFS – Anti Friction Slider / Full Diagonal / SLR / HR Lite Heel
– matt black, Brake 80 [N]
– matt black, Brake 80 [N] 114556
↳ SET (incl. SLR PRO XL
base & 8 mm screws)
– matt white, Brake 80 [N]
– matt white, Brake 80 [N]
↳ SET (incl. SLR PRO XL base & 8 mm screws)
Thoughts and questions rising :

- 80 mm brakes looks like good news considering latest concerns about narrow waist skis !?
- Can SLR bindings be used with regular PR base system ?
- Stand height/Ramp influence and relation with ski type, snow condition, skier abilities, ect… If anyone can point me to a good article or thread about this subject.

Cheers

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
- Stand height/Ramp influence and relation with ski type, snow condition, skier abilities, ect… If anyone can point me to a good article or thread about this subject.

Have the same question about using SLR Protector on cheater SL skis.

My thinking is because Freeflex race bindings are 17 to 23mm stand height, it makes sense to use SLR Protector which are lower at 28mm stand height than PR Protectors which are 33mm.

Does this make sense or are there other considerations? My DIN is well within the 11 max of SLR, so I guess it's overkill to get PR13 bindings?

My previous skis were Deacon VWerks with lowride bindings that I think were 24mm stand height.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vertical toe release today. Got into some dense crud at speed and took the ski right off. Did a Bode and kept on going on my left, in a left turn no less, and was able to bring it to a stop without falling over. (A fair amount of one-ski training this year.) When I fetched the ski, the heel was still down. And when I looked over the bindings tonight, it appears the toe lug shaved a bit of the plastic off on exit. Looks like I went straight out the top.
IMG_1181.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vertical toe release today. - looked over the bindings tonight, it appears the toe lug shaved a bit of the plastic off on exit. Looks like I went straight out the top.
View attachment 197847
^ good example why I look for bindings with multi-directional toe release ... I'm leaning toward the same WRT lateral (sideways) heel release.
Good to know a lower stand height lighter weight Protector SLR is coming in the '23/'24, would be great if they'd surprise us with a non-rail version too for '23/'24!

Sponsor

Staff online