• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

sjh223

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Same thing happened to me last week, vertical toe release sheared off plastic on the toe piece. Only had ~5 days on the bindings. My shop is replacing them under warranty with Tyrolia, but I've been without my skis for over a week now. I loved the bindings up until then, now when I get my skis back I'm going to be pretty concerned about this happening again.
PXL_20230316_004656123.jpg

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Vertical toe release today. Got into some dense crud at speed and took the ski right off. Did a Bode and kept on going on my left, in a left turn no less, and was able to bring it to a stop without falling over. (A fair amount of one-ski training this year.) When I fetched the ski, the heel was still down. And when I looked over the bindings tonight, it appears the toe lug shaved a bit of the plastic off on exit. Looks like I went straight out the top.
View attachment 197847

Same thing happened to me last week, vertical toe release sheared off plastic on the toe piece. Only had ~5 days on the bindings. My shop is replacing them under warranty with Tyrolia, but I've been without my skis for over a week now. I loved the bindings up until then, now when I get my skis back I'm going to be pretty concerned about this happening again.
View attachment 197963

Product recall incoming.

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Product recall incoming.

Damn it looks like SLR's also have this weak plastic material. Not good as I was keen on the SLR's.

Season cancelled.

1679668478072.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually when a safety product is damaged while doing it's job in an incident. I thank the Lord and go out an buy a new one.

Every device have limitations and sh*t happens.
Think about what could have happened if the safety device didn't work.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn it looks like SLR's also have this weak plastic material. Not good as I was keen on these.

View attachment 197964
Don't all PR toes bindings have the same plastic configuration, Protector or not? The plastic chipping is just a side effect, it's not the root cause, if there's even a root cause. The question is are the bindings releasing vertically at the correct force? That's hard to answer because it's not specified. I suspect Tyrolia's fix here, if they do anything, is to chamfer the edge so your boots don't have to.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was the toe unit on that specific binding designed to provide upward release protection? .

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
The two vertical releases in is thread we’re not by design. They were binding failure. It happens every now and then to most binding manufacturers, some much worse than others. It will be interesting to see how often this failure occurs and what, if anything, is done about it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it possible the forward pressure or BSL setting was a hair long and not allowing for full engagement of the boot toe into the toe piece?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While it’s a pain in the ass, if something has to be sacrificial, I’d prefer it be a binding, rather than me.
Design flaw, manufacturing flaw? Adjustment issue? Too early to tell IMHO.
If this persists, thats another story but I just assume that using something new in the first year of production means I’m a Beta 2.0 tester. Cars, anything mechanical.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The two vertical releases in is thread we’re not by design. They were binding failure.
you don't know that
Yes I do. Designed releases don’t require a warranty replacement.
first year product quirks, the binding still released as it should, no failure in it's release

Neither of the two had to stop skiing after their vertical toe releases and didn't notice the hanging chads until after the day of skiing. Most likely the binding would have still continued to release as it should had the need arisen

Would the two still pass a shop binding release check with the current hanging chads as is and not shaved off?

Don't all PR toes bindings have the same plastic configuration, Protector or not? The plastic chipping is just a side effect, it's not the root cause, if there's even a root cause. The question is are the bindings releasing vertically at the correct force? That's hard to answer because it's not specified. I suspect Tyrolia's fix here, if they do anything, is to chamfer the edge so your boots don't have to.
probably and or replace the part with one of a harder durometer

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I suspect Tyrolia's fix here, if they do anything, is to chamfer the edge so your boots don't have to.

probably and or replace the part with one of a harder durometer
Sounds about right for what Tyrolia engineers would do.

Either strategy would still warrant a recall.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds about right for what Tyrolia engineers would do.

Either strategy would still warrant a recall.
Or they claim normal wear and tear on an AFD. It’s not the plastic that retains the boot, it’s the metal wings above it. And by all accounts that functioned correctly. Tecnica is not sending me new boots each time I walk across the parking lot, yet that does about the same level of damage on a “binding” component.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or they claim normal wear and tear on an AFD. It’s not the plastic that retains the boot, it’s the metal wings above it. And by all accounts that functioned correctly. Tecnica is not sending me new boots each time I walk across the parking lot, yet that does about the same level of damage on a “binding” component.
Ha, you must own Tyrolia stock. The bindings broke. Your parking lot walking boots didn’t. :beercheer:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Sounds about right for what Tyrolia engineers bean counters would do.