• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any chance they can R&D the stack height, and are there any plans to consider lowering it in the future?
With everything going on, I think it will be tough but when they start offering a hard mount, and do not need the adjustablity of a toe, that might drop it a few millimeters.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Looks like I found my next binding. It is not surprising that it comes from Tyrolia-Head, they have had great bindings for decades. My first pair was the 350D and I still have Head-Tyrolia on my Head skis today. I like the design of this new model, great toe with the 4 rollers and the heel is what we will see in the future. I really like the idea that it slides on the existing plates, that is very customer focused. That makes think about purchasing it before getting my next pair of skis. Can it be purchased with and without the plate?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any ortho docs in the group that can explain what happens in a "backwards twisting fall"? Is a "backward twisting fall" just the knee being bent at about 90 degrees and the foot starts moving outward rotating about the axis along the femur? Legs don't twist this way, but they can rotate inward, e.g. sitting cross legged. Or is there additional twisting going on about the axis along the tibia?

It seems in this situation the safest action is to get the leg straight and knee unbent as quickly as possible. My hypothesis is a lateral heel release may not be the best action if it means the foot is now impeded by the snow with the same force vector and the toe binding is preventing the knee from straightening. Of course with the heel out the toe will release sometime later, maybe on the order of a few milliseconds, but milliseconds count.

It seems it would be more prudent to have a rapid vertical toe release -- not just a release, but an ejection that kicks the leg up getting the knee straight. How's this for a binding idea: A preloaded vertical ejection spring in the toe and when a significant lateral force on the heel is present the toe wings retract and the boot toe punches out of the cockpit. Hey Rossignol Group, I'm available for work. Let's do this!

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
Any ortho docs in the group that can explain what happens in a "backwards twisting fall"? Is a "backward twisting fall" just the knee being bent at about 90 degrees and the foot starts moving outward rotating about the axis along the femur? Legs don't twist this way, but they can rotate inward, e.g. sitting cross legged. Or is there additional twisting going on about the axis along the tibia?

Im not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure legs don’t rotate that way because our ligaments prevent that rotation under normal rotational stresses, but if the rotational force is too great then something has to give and it seems to be that in a backwards twisting fall while skiing the ligament that gives is the ACL.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
can anyone explain how this is different to the look pivot heel
The Protector can release the heel sideways. The pivot cannot. I'm assuming that's the basis for the question.

Despite Pivot's rotating heel and nebulous safety claims ("rotating around the tibia"), the Pivot is not designed to release laterally. Then why the rotating heel? It is a design fix that LOOK added to address the problem of the heel binding links obstructing the boot in a toe release.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Protector has a ridiculous high stack height in comparison to the Look Pivot low stack height and is heavier than the metal Look Pivot 15/18.
Yes it is higher than a Pivot, with everything going on under the binding it is understandable but it is also the same height as the regular PRD. On a narrow ski, it is not an issue, infact some consider it an inhancement.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes it is higher than a Pivot, with everything going on under the binding it is understandable but it is also the same height as the regular PRD. On a narrow ski, it is not an issue, infact some consider it an inhancement.
I have used the PRD when skiing on the Head Titan that is 80MM under foot and have not found the hight to be an issue. Also the PRX on my Head Rally seems to be the same hight and no issue related to the hight.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know, was just venting. Love the concept, but nothing in my quiver under 88mm waist, and I usually leave that one home. I realize I'll to have to let it go, install a pair of Tyrolia Protectors on the next resort ski. Assuming it's not a 110mm + ski dedicated to soft 3-D snow powder ski where I'm more inclined to be a science denier and stick to the ancient Grand Prix/N17 with a make over (pun intended) ogwink ... maybe you guys will change my mind on that stance too in favor of progress.

Slider

Booting up
Skier
For style and stack height sake, any chance to see to Attack Protector in a direct mount version at product launch ?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For style and stack height sake, any chance to see to Attack Protector in a direct mount version at product launch ?
None, but I believe the following year.

Last edited by a moderator:

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier

It seems in this situation the safest action is to get the leg straight and knee unbent as quickly as possible. My hypothesis is a lateral heel release may not be the best action if it means the foot is now impeded by the snow with the same force vector and the toe binding is preventing the knee from straightening. Of course with the heel out the toe will release sometime later, maybe on the order of a few milliseconds, but milliseconds count.

It seems it would be more prudent to have a rapid vertical toe release -- not just a release, but an ejection that kicks the leg up getting the knee straight. How's this for a binding idea: A preloaded vertical ejection spring in the toe and when a significant lateral force on the heel is present the toe wings retract and the boot toe punches out of the cockpit. Hey Rossignol Group, I'm available for work. Let's do this!
(do) you mean like a "Full Spectrum" toe, but with an active ejector mechanism ?

... sounds scary --

I don't believe it is widely understood how often there is active vertical force at the toe - and that numerous attempts to include compensatory / vertical release mechanisms ( Geze, Look multi-direction, Salomon force compensation through Spheric ) remain ,,, with limited success.

the Protector mechanism seems to be a valid attempt for 'advanced' knee protection.

Good luck. skiJ

Slider

Booting up
Skier
If this tech is proven worthy (and I beleive it will), competitors might follow on this path. I can’t help thinking Marker could make something nice mixing Duke PT toe piece and Kingpin heal piece. And you have a low stack hard mount (ACL friendly) binding with some touring abilities ! « TaDa »:daffy:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Protector on Head racing plates? Is this an option? I'm guessing not.

I guess I don't really know why... ff's are still superb bindings.

hialti2d87

Booting up
Skier
"The more things change, the more they stay the same". True enough here. It will be interesting to hear from more users who get to put these through their paces. One thing is for certain: Those of us who went to the Attacks years ago for the low stand height and great ski feel, probably won't be making a switch to these any time soon. We'll see.