• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those of us who went to the Attacks years ago for the low stand height and great ski feel, probably won't be making a switch to these any time soon. We'll see.
Probably not especially on wider skis. These will have the same stand height as the current PRD systems that are on narrower skis. Understanding what the binding is designed to do, lateral release from heel, there is the need for mechanisms under the binding.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I scanned this thread & didn't see an answer for my question:

If I have Head PRD or PRX bindings (like on the Head Titan/Rally/etc series), can you literally just take the PRD/PRX heel off the Head track & slide the Protector heel in it's place? That's assuming some/all of the typical post-install binding adjustment(s) would still be needed.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I scanned this thread & didn't see an answer for my question:

If I have Head PRD or PRX bindings (like on the Head Titan/Rally/etc series), can you literally just take the PRD/PRX heel off the Head track & slide the Protector heel in it's place? That's assuming some/all of the typical post-install binding adjustment(s) would still be needed.

... the Protector is backwards compatible. If you are currently skiing a ski that has a PRD-derived or Attack2 demo binding, you can purchase a Protector and it will slide onto your current track without the need to remount. Of course we recommend to get a full ASTM check.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier

... the Protector is backwards compatible. If you are currently skiing a ski that has a PRD-derived or Attack2 demo binding, you can purchase a Protector and it will slide onto your current track without the need to remount. Of course we recommend to get a full ASTM check.
So, is the adjustable track on my pair of 2019 Titans compatible? Sorry if I seem dense, but I'm not sure if by "demo binding" you mean the same thing as a Head PRD/PRX system binding.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Missed the preview. Just saw the released version of the YT video.
Of course, the above statement caught my attention. Now to get matching colors, or go for the discordant look? Ah, wait a moment, I moved to Solomon Wardens when the site moved. Great job of making me want to move back to Tyrolia :mask:

Ktmdad

Booting up
Skier
So as I follow with interest these new Protector series bindings from Tyrolia (and a current Knee binding user) I’m not sure if anyone had posted weights and stand height? It’s up on Tyrolia’s sight now but I’ll save you the time.

It is indeed heavier than the Knee bindings which average about 2,100 grams (4.63lbs) per pair depending on model.
The Tyrolia Protector Attack 13 weighs 2860 grams (6.31lbs) per pair. That’s 1.68lbs heavier per pair or .84lbs heavier per ski than Knee bindings which are already heavy.
The Protector PR 13 (for use on skis with built in Power Rail so that additional rail weight is built into the ski that the bare binding slides onto) which also uses the different toe piece than the Protector Attack weighs in at 2370 grams (5.22lbs)
or 2.61lbs per ski + rail weight built into ski. It is part of the binding setup after all.
Stand height from web sites
Knee Binding 26mm
Attack 13 Protector 32mm
Protector PR 13 33.5mm

So by stats alone the new Protectors are heavier (to an already heavy Knee binding which like mentioned above I use) with a even higher stand height. What you gain is the nice multi-directional release and I’ll assume better toe pieces especially on the Attack 13 Protector (If someone more knowledgeable than myself could explain those differences please do so as I don’t actually know)

So yeah was really hoping for a lighter weight binding with similar or lower stand height and especially for my 115lb significant other who also is on Knee Bindings. Not quite ready to rush out and buy these….yet. Do love that dual release heel.

PROTECTOR ATTACK 13 MN
  • Stand height
  • 32 mm
DIN:
  • 4 - 13
WEIGHT:
  • 2860 g

FEATURES
  • FR PRO3 Toe
  • Attack Demo
  • ISO: 5355A, 9523, 9523W, 9523 GripWalk
  • HR Heel

PROTECTOR PR 13

STAND HEIGHT:
  • 33,5 mm
DIN:
  • 4 - 13
WEIGHT:
  • 2370 g
FEATURES
  • RX Toe with TRP System
  • Full Diagonal
  • PowerRail
  • ISO: 5355A, 9523 GripWalk
  • HR Heel

Here are the Knee Binding stats for 22/23

1664124310209.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Ktmdad much of the Protector specs are posted here:

As far as stand height, with most the lateral mechanisms being under the heel, I am not sure how much lower as it can be. There will be ongoing comparisons with the Protector and Kneebinding for a while and it will come down to preference and confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ktmdad

Booting up
Skier
@Ktmdad much of the Protector specs are posted here:

As far as stand height, with most the lateral mechanisms being under the heel, I am not sure how much lower as it can be. There will be ongoing comparisons with the Protector and Kneebinding for a while and it will come down to preference and confidence.
Thank you Phil, hadn’t seen that.

can you please explain the differences pros/cons between the toe pieces of the Protector series or perhaps a link to such?
Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you Phil, hadn’t seen that.

can you please explain the differences pros/cons between the toe pieces of the Protector series or perhaps a link to such?
Thanks
Between the PR toe and Attack toe?

The PR toe has a longitudinal spring which allows more elasticity and the Attack toe which is a lateral spring which is a quicker return to center and is MN (multinorm).

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Are the Protector bindings, demo bindings? Every picture I see online, makes it look that way. Are they going to sell just the heel pieces?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are the Protector bindings, demo bindings? Every picture I see online, makes it look that way. Are they going to sell just the heel pieces?
They all use the track system. No, the heels will not be available separately.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Pivot is a standard alpine binding without lateral release at the heel. The Protector adds lateral release at the heel to help prevent ACL tears in backwards twisting falls. KneeBindings are the only real competitor to the Protector in this sense.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does the Protector level of knee protection compare with the Look Pivot?
The Look Pivot allows the toe to release a little easier because it rotates along the the tiblial access. The Protector allows for lateral release from the heel in either direction which can help mitigate knee injury.

Sponsor

Staff online