• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If safety was the goal, I'm wondering why they didn't design MN into the PR toe binding. I hope it wasn't just because of broader skier recognition of the Attacks.
How does not being MN bake a binding not as safe?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Protector is offered with a PR and Attack toe. The PR provides vertical release while the Attack doesn't, but the Attack supports multi-norm. If safety was the goal, I'm wondering why they didn't design MN into the PR toe binding. I hope it wasn't just because of broader skier recognition of the Attacks.
If state of the art saftey was to be optimized Multi Directional Toe Release (ex. Look Pivot 12/14) is what you'd want. MNC is only a boot sole standard

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
IMHO the weight is not the short coming of the Protector, it is the stack height. While I am fine with the stack height on a narrower ski, sub 85mm under foot. To the point we will be swapping my Protector heels on any ski that had a Tyrolia bindings that is sub 85 mm. The Protector heel has the same height as the regular PRD heel

What is the narrowest ski the Protector could be mounted on? I am interested in purchasing a pair of Liberty v76w skis based on the reviews I read on this site and mounting with them with the Protector Attack bindings. I don't know if the 85mm brake is too wide though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the narrowest ski the Protector could be mounted on? I am interested in purchasing a pair of Liberty v76w skis based on the reviews I read on this site and mounting with them with the Protector Attack bindings. I don't know if the 85mm brake is too wide though.
We have them on our 68 mm Power Joy. The brakes retract out of the way.

Subarctic Crawdaddy

Booting up
Skier
Personally I am very curious as how the competitors will react and what,if any, product they will put on the market in response.

I'm very curious about this as well, and would love to hear from any folks with intel on manufacturers planning to introduce a competing product.

I'm fairly new to skiing, and--until I read about the Protector this year--I never really gave much thought to exactly what my bindings were supposed to protect me from. But, after watching videos on the Tyrolia site and here, the concept made perfect sense, and it seems like a long overdue innovation. And yes, I did end up learning about Knee bindings, but those seem to have a very small market share, from what I've seen/read.

I understand that there are few disadvantages, such as weight and stack height. But, in the end, why would you not want this as an option on you bindings? I found out about Protectors mid-way through my search for new skis this year (from this forum!), and quickly decided that they were going to be a "must" for me. Why not? Maybe I'd ski for decades without a backward twisting fall. But it could also happen on my first warmup run of the season.

Hopefully more companies will jump on this. Hopefully they're already working on it. More competition and more options will only push the concept to improve across the whole industry.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm very curious about this as well, and would love to hear from any folks with intel on manufacturers planning to introduce a competing product.
If anyone does have some intel, there is very well some NDA's involved or understand there is a high level of professional courtesy. I had a significant amount intel on the Protector well before it was announced but there was no real reason to leak it, because it would have cost me some trust from the brand and I had to balance cost. There are quite a few stories we have leaked or got the scoop on like Bode going to Crosson but announcing Davenport going to Peak a month before that was announced (or even when he posted pics from Chile) would really not have benefitted us enough or even our readers.

Hell, we knew Epicski was shutting down well before Tyler and the team did. We could have really blown than up for them. But at what cost and who's benefit. We had the written and @Dave Petersen had the artwork done so we posted Remembering Epicski.com the minute Tyler called us.

Last edited:

Subarctic Crawdaddy

Booting up
Skier
If anyone does have some intel, there is very well some NDA's involved or understand there is a high level of professional courtesy.
I figured that might be the case. Oh well. I'll just assume that every manufacturer has mad scientists toiling away on prototypes in secret labs and black-ops testers hitting the slopes in the dead of night!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I figured that might be the case. Oh well. I'll just assume that every manufacturer has mad scientists toiling away on prototypes in secret labs and black-ops testers hitting the slopes in the dead of night!
Actually usually on glaciers in the Spring and Summer. It's also not uncommon to see them at A-Basin, Snowbird and and other resorts in the late months.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Weight:
Protector 13...2370 gm
KneeBinding Carbon 14...2120 gm (and all the line are in the 2084 to 2182 gm range)

Stand height:
Protector: 33.5 mm
KneeBinding...don't know it, they're high, with adjustable delta (difference between heel & toe height) from 1.5 mm to 6 mm, and canting kit .5° to 3°

Brake width:
Protector: 85, 95 mm
KneeBinding: 75, 90, 110, 130, 150

"...backward twisting fall..." or someone hits you from just the wrong direction.

ronnieb

Booting up
Skier
Weight:
Protector 13...2370 gm
KneeBinding Carbon 14...2120 gm (and all the line are in the 2084 to 2182 gm range)

Stand height:
Protector: 33.5 mm
KneeBinding...don't know it, they're high, with adjustable delta (difference between heel & toe height) from 1.5 mm to 6 mm, and canting kit .5° to 3°

Brake width:
Protector: 85, 95 mm
KneeBinding: 75, 90, 110, 130, 150

"...backward twisting fall..." or someone hits you from just the wrong direction.
You can get wider brakes for the Protector. 110mm and 130mm can be purchased separately.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
If anyone does have some intel, there is very well some NDA's involved or understand there is a high level of professional courtesy. I had a significant amount intel on the Protector well before it was announced but there was no real reason to leak it, because it would have cost me some trust from the brand and I had to balance cost. There are quite a few stories we have leaked or got the scoop on like Bode going to Crosson but announcing Davenport going to Peak a month before that was announced (or even when he posted pics from Chile) would really not have benefitted us enough or even our readers.

Hell, we knew Epicski was shutting down well before Tyler and the team did. We could have really blown than up for them. But at what cost and who's benefit. We had the written and @Dave Petersen had the artwork done so we posted Remembering Epicski.com the minute Tyler called us.
Personally, I am not looking for any pre-released leak, form the site, @Philpug. I am simply stating that I am waiting to see what/how the other brands will respond. Guess that a lot will depend on the market response on the Protector (e.g. how well or how much it will sell).
Kind of like when Marker came out with the KingPin or Salomon/Atomic with the Shift and all that category of AT bindings.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally I am very curious as how the competitors will react and what,if any, product they will put on the market in response.
+1
I'm very curious about this as well, -

I'm fairly new to skiing, and--until I read about the Protector this year--I never really gave much thought to exactly what my bindings were supposed to protect me from. But, after watching videos on the Tyrolia site and here, the concept made perfect sense,
because yopu are new, (Website now says First shipments — October, 2023. Oct '23):

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier

If the Tyrolia Protector is successful it might encourage the other binding manufacturers to launch mechatronic bindings. In 2019 the Technical University of Munich launched a 3-year government funded research project on mechatronic bindings, one of the partners was Marker https://www.mec.ed.tum.de/en/spgm/news/article/new-bfs-research-project-mechatronic-ski-binding/ Prof. Dr. Veit Senner is convinced that the mechatronic ski binding is the most promising concept for reducing knee injuries.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Upgraded.
4853B0EA-8CC9-4F56-9276-718DFA0C4B4B.jpeg

fix4all

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Came across the vid on the Protector bindings and subsequently re-evaluated my priorities with safety on top. Have been using full release Tyrolia & Head PRD bindings for years and recently acquired some new Deacon 84 skis to replace the 2016 Kendo. Unfortunately, the Deacon's are not available in a flat version, so the dilemma. Like the concept of system ski/bindings and am now considering the E-V10 with Protector. At age 62, 140lbs, 40+ years under feet, I'm trying to charge less and cruise more with some occasional spurts of powering and bump slinging. A lighter ski setup is certainly a plus. Much has been discussed on Skitalk regarding the Kendo and Deacon's. Would welcome any comparison comments on transitioning with the Protector in mind.
Thanks in advance.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would welcome any comparison comments on transitioning with the Protector in mind.
Thanks in advance.
Whyat question on transitioniing are you asking for? The Protector skis absolutely no different than Tyrolia's PRD system binding if that is what you are asking.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Came across the vid on the Protector bindings and subsequently re-evaluated my priorities with safety on top. Have been using full release Tyrolia & Head PRD bindings for years and recently acquired some new Deacon 84 skis to replace the 2016 Kendo. Unfortunately, the Deacon's are not available in a flat version, so the dilemma.

Can you pull off the Marker bindings to see if the PR plates could be mounted? I think the Deacon 84 has a binding integrated into the ski, so there might be some interference issues. @anders_nor might know. I’d put Protectors on my S/Force Bolds if it wasn’t for the EdgeAmplifier ridges.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you pull off the Marker bindings to see if the PR plates could be mounted? I think the Deacon 84 has a binding integrated into the ski, so there might be some interference issues. @anders_nor might know. I’d put Protectors on my S/Force Bolds if it wasn’t for the EdgeAmplifier ridges.
I seriously doubt it.

Sponsor

Staff online