• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can you pull off the Marker bindings to see if the PR plates could be mounted? I think the Deacon 84 has a binding integrated into the ski, so there might be some interference issues. @anders_nor might know. I’d put Protectors on my S/Force Bolds if it wasn’t for the EdgeAmplifier ridges.

integrated into the key is keyword

think there is a 0 change of using another binding there and not compromise the ski

fix4all

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Put the Deacon's up for sale. A sad day indeed. Sticking with PRD/Protectors from here on out. I rarely fall, yet like someone quoted earlier... it's a spectacular event when so. Last two times in two years were collisions from the side/behind. Trashed the goggles soon after that (loss of peripheral).

Just ordered the Head e-V10 with Protectors. Wish more mfg's would get on board with similar bindings.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First day on Protectors this season. Aside from one perfectly valid ejection, I didn’t even know they were there.
0E4E8F76-1986-46D1-A1F9-756235B00704.jpeg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just ordered the Head e-V10 with Protectors. Wish more mfg's would get on board with similar bindings.

We just need to vote with our wallet. All the manufactures are closely watching Head's sales performance and comparing it to their own. As for me, I'm swapping out all my family's bindings this season. This will be a trend no manufacture wants to fall behind on. And as @Swiss Toni points out, mechatronic smart release is the next frontier. Those just making regular bindings in a few years time will be dinosaurs.

Good news is the expense of Protectors is not that much considering one pair can be shared across a quiver of skis with brakes available in 85, 95, and 110mm. However, sourcing extra tracks is currently problematic.

Whoa, you put Protector on a 104

Plz Keep us posted with updates as the season progresses

The Peak 104s absolutely ripped in today's conditions at Mt. Baker. Would they rip harder on a binding with a lower stack height? Maybe, but maybe not. No other binding has the lateral heel elasticity that this binding has. These could very well be the smoothest riding bindings on the market, which also happen to have arguably substantial and demonstrated safety enhancements. Why would you choose anything else?

Performance testing today for me was pretty conclusive: I dialed down from my normal DIN of 8 to 7 and was still pushing hard on a lot of steep terrain: short, ~50 degree sections, scraping over rocks and frozen waterfalls, dropping some small cliffs. Zero pre-releases. And the one time I absolutely needed to come out of the bindings, I did with a smooth release. Climbing 20 ft back up the hill to retrieve my ski, I notice the heel binding in the locked down position. So I most likely released out of the toe. But who knows? Maybe I punched out laterally with the heel. Maybe this binding saved my ACL today.

Test track: The Chute at Mt Baker.

IMG_0329 3.jpeg

fix4all

Skier
Wondered too in the past which binding was the lateral release point. Would be helpful if Tyrolia could integrate some simple mechanism/indicator to provide feedback as such. May try something like attaching a thin loose piece of nylon string at the heel/base. Something lightweight enough that would not interfere with functionality and separate somewhat easily. Or a magnetic micro reed switch with audible alert. Would be cool to play with the threshold alignment of such a switch to even sense when there is slight lateral movement. Would be buzzing down the mountain all day!

scotch15

Skier
With two ACL repairs already, I’ve been watching the Protector with anticipation. I can take a little performance hit to reduce my risk of another knee injury.

It seems that none of the shops local to me are carrying Protector bindings this year, which is causing me some hesitation. I’m still thinking I’m going to go forward with mounting them on some new Stormrider 88’s that I picked up late last season.

The Full Diagonal Toe seems like the right choice for me. If I mount them on the SR’s, do I also need to purchase a Power Rail? Or will everything needed to mount on a flat ski come with the PR 11 and 13?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've tested skis that were exactly the same, on the same run, on the same day. The only difference was the binding. Different stack hgt, different delta. There was a marked difference in how the ski performed. It was like I was on an entirely different set of skis. The binding changed the characteristics of the ski to the point whereby I noticed. Realize we're talking wide skis as that is all I ski now 96 and up to 116... :beercheer:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It seems that none of the shops local to me are carrying Protector bindings this year, which is causing me some hesitation.
Yep, I would question their ability to select gear. I know shops that did order it that have already reordered them.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With two ACL repairs already, I’ve been watching the Protector with anticipation. I can take a little performance hit to reduce my risk of another knee injury.

It seems that none of the shops local to me are carrying Protector bindings this year, which is causing me some hesitation. I’m still thinking I’m going to go forward with mounting them on some new Stormrider 88’s that I picked up late last season.

The Full Diagonal Toe seems like the right choice for me. If I mount them on the SR’s, do I also need to purchase a Power Rail? Or will everything needed to mount on a flat ski come with the PR 11 and 13?

It has everything you need to mount flat. The PR 11 and 13 come with the twin rails — not sure what Tyrolia calls this. It’s not the single piece plate that you see on the SuperShapes.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look for them also with the Head label (Head owns Tyrolia). Some have the Attack MN toe with the crosswise spring, others the RX GW toe with the longitudinal spring. Brake width options seem to be hit & miss/short supply. Level9 Sports has them for $400. Corbetts has them for C$430 (US$330). I'm seeing a lot of shops offer the Supershape ski line with the Protector binding option...that may be where much of the supply is going.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've tested skis that were exactly the same, on the same run, on the same day. The only difference was the binding. Different stack hgt, different delta. There was a marked difference in how the ski performed. It was like I was on an entirely different set of skis. The binding changed the characteristics of the ski to the point whereby I noticed. Realize we're talking wide skis as that is all I ski now 96 and up to 116... :beercheer:
Other than the high stack, IIRC Protector delta is fairly neutral, unlike it's closest competitor the you know what binding

I'm all in with you on 96 and up and why @tomahawkins account is so interesting to me

ronnieb

Booting up
Skier
It has everything you need to mount flat. The PR 11 and 13 come with the twin rails — not sure what Tyrolia calls this. It’s not the single piece plate that you see on the SuperShapes.
Supported on all Power Rail bases. They are called the Twin PR Base. The Protectors PR 11 and 13 will work on Twin PR Base (shipped with binding) and the Multiflex PR Base. Head has those bases too and adds Superflex PR high and low as other supported Power Rail bases.

ronnieb

Booting up
Skier
I'm gonna switch all my skis to Protector bindings. On the fence with what to get for my 109 and 120 wide skis. The Protector Attack is what the Tyrolia recommends for wide skis and it uses different toe base/plates unique to the Attack Demo toe it has. The Protector Attack has 32mm stack height vs 33.5mm for the PR 11 and 13. Want to buy extra bases and swap the main binding is my plan and I already bought the Protector 11. hmmm

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm gonna switch all my skis to Protector bindings. On the fence with what to get for my 109 and 120 wide skis. The Protector Attack is what the Tyrolia recommends for wide skis and it uses different toe base/plates unique to the Attack Demo toe it has. The Protector Attack has 32mm stack height vs 33.5mm for the PR 11 and 13. Want to buy extra bases and swap the main binding is my plan and I already bought the Protector 11. hmmm
Not a fan of lateral spring toe, 1.5mm lower stack is good and MNC could be useful dialing in beefier AT boots prior to touring them. Not so sure either would be worth the weight penalty if not putting on a ski above 110 waist and or if you're a lighter person.

Btw, why is Protector Attack ~ 500g (~ 1 lb ) heavier than Protector PR?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 2 in the books. Spent all day lapping Baker's Gabl's: a double diamond under Chair 5 with cliffs, chutes, gullies, broken fall line. Conditions were knee deep chop to scrapped off ice on the steep sections. Lots of hopping and dropping to avoid rocks, frozen waterfalls, and the little trees everywhere that have yet to get buried. No releases today despite being 1 DIN lower than my normal. Not sure why Tyrolia recommends the Attack toe for wider skis. These PR 13s are working just fine -- personally I think they look cooler than the Attacks.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Found these on Curated.com: https://www.curated.com/products/6745354/tyrolia-protector-attack-13-mn-ski-bindings-2023

Very much looking fwd to trying a pair when they start making them in various color schemes like the standard Attack series w/ a readily available supply of brakes in a size that can fit 100 - 112 skis.

Here's what I'm referencing as far as color... check pics (posted in other threads as well) . Attacks I mounted on my M6 and The Bones. Super easy mount right out of the box. Does anyone know if there are any expected difficulties encountered mounting Protector Attacks? @Philpug any info or reports on mounting difficulties w/ Protectors?

C'mon Tyrolia! Let's up this to next level. I think we have a winner in binding category technology upgrade.

Attachments

• 20211203_131312.jpg
    20211203_131312.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211204_130146.jpg
    20211204_130146.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211203_114023.jpg
    20211203_114023.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211203_114853.jpg
    20211203_114853.jpg