• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting...when I called the store I ordered from, the manager said since this is a brand new product they had no idea there were two different boxes. He said some of the boxes had rails and some didn't.
I'm probably being Captain Obvious here, but my guess is the boxes without rails are intended to be used if you're upgrading a Head ski to Protector bindings - that ski already has the rails on it. The other boxes are for everyone else.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I guess I can see why Tyrolia wouldn't want the rails to be widely available, but there's got to be some sort of backdoor way to get them. I mean, what if my dog ate the rails on my current skis??? It could happen!

Here are the current Tyrolia part numbers for the PowerRail base plates:

119276 Twin PowerRail Plates, black
119277 Twin PowerRail Plates, gray
119680 All-Ride (single continuous plate) PowerRail Plates, black

Tyrolia claims that any authorized Tyrolia dealer can order these add-on plates, but this thread suggests that many dealers either don't want to do these special orders or are simply not aware of the ordering option.

I recently purchased PR13 Protector bindings through Powder7 & they emailed me today that they can order these spare parts for me from Tyrolia. And I didn't have to claim that my dog ate them! ogsmile

I'll confirm that my order is actually successfull once it goes through later this week. I suspect that Powder7 will do this only for purchasers from them of Protector bindings...

bob78h

Booting up
Skier
I think this was talked about briefly earlier in the thread, but any reason to go with the PR13 over the PR11 if you're running a DIN in the 5-7 range? It seems like the only difference is in the metal vs plastic toe wings? This only affects durability, not performance/safety/release consistency right?

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
This makes the Knee binding a left ski/right ski proposition. Not a huge deal but a limitation nonetheless.
I have some with Quiver Killer / Binding Freedom Inserts - so I can swap skis every so often and avoid excessive left/right usage issues. Got to keep an eye on the screws though as even with Loctite they can loosen over time.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking at ordering the Tyrolia Protector Attack MN 13 bindings. The vendor said they come with Tyrolia Power Rails which have to be mointed. Are these rails standard typically? If so I guess most shops can mount them?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking at ordering the Tyrolia Protector Attack MN 13 bindings. The vendor said they come with Tyrolia Power Rails which have to be mointed. Are these rails standard typically? If so I guess most shops can mount them?
Double check with your shop, many do not have the PowerRail jig because the PR usually gets mounted at the factory.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Double check with your shop, many do not have the PowerRail jig because the PR usually gets mounted at the factory.
Called the shop, they don't have the jig. I'm heading up to Stowe in 2 weeks. If anyone knows of a shop of there that can do it, please let me know.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
IDK, I'd try @SkiEssentials (877) 812-6710
Called them up, their retail, brick and mortar shop is Pinnacle Sports and they confirmed they have the jig...all good.

I figure ACL safety is way more important than having to switch bindings cost. Some shops haven't even heard of these yet, I guess not enough time to get around?

Thanks for all the help.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have some with Quiver Killer / Binding Freedom Inserts - so I can swap skis every so often and avoid excessive left/right usage issues. Got to keep an eye on the screws though as even with Loctite they can loosen over time.
Check Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. "VC-3 is a proprietary blend of thermoplastic elastomer resins designed to remain flexible and absorb vibration"; it doesn't harden like Loctite and other threadlockers. https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlo...ble-threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/
https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/removable-reusable-threadlockers/vc-3-tape/

About mounting the rails...I've done it myself. I'm comfortable mounting bindings, and I have the tools. The rails don't have a mark for the boot sole center line, so I set everything up on the bench and put my boots into the bindings with the bindings set at the correct spots for the sole length. I transferred the sole center mark to the rails, then put the rails on the skis with center marks matching. Lined them up, marked the hole positions, drilled & tapped the screw holes, and mounted the bindings. On the full length rails I had there were 4 pairs of screws. One pair was fixed; it held the rail firmly. The other three pair of screws were in slots that allowed the rail to move longitudinally along the ski as the ski flexed. Of course if a shop can mount them, great.

Question--does the shop need a different jig for the twin rails (short rail under toe & short rail under the heel) or the full length rail? Likely different jigs, but one might check with the shop before ordering rails through them.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use vibratite for my BF inserts, just got some skis I sold 3? years ago back in for a check( buddy) he tours on them, all inserts and screws 100% where they were when he got them

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. "VC-3 is a proprietary blend of thermoplastic elastomer resins designed to remain flexible and absorb vibration"; it doesn't harden like Loctite and other threadlockers. https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlo...ble-threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/
https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/removable-reusable-threadlockers/vc-3-tape/

About mounting the rails...I've done it myself. I'm comfortable mounting bindings, and I have the tools. The rails don't have a mark for the boot sole center line, so I set everything up on the bench and put my boots into the bindings with the bindings set at the correct spots for the sole length. I transferred the sole center mark to the rails, then put the rails on the skis with center marks matching. Lined them up, marked the hole positions, drilled & tapped the screw holes, and mounted the bindings. On the full length rails I had there were 4 pairs of screws. One pair was fixed; it held the rail firmly. The other three pair of screws were in slots that allowed the rail to move longitudinally along the ski as the ski flexed. Of course if a shop can mount them, great.

Question--does the shop need a different jig for the twin rails (short rail under toe & short rail under the heel) or the full length rail? Likely different jigs, but one might check with the shop before ordering rails through them.
All PR Bases have the same hole pattern. Here is a PR template with the reference mount line:

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier

Hi Henry, I wrote Loctite but I actually use Vibra-Tite as you suggest. It is good stuff but I have still found screws can be less tight than hoped after a while which surprised me tbh. Thanks for replying though.

Re the mounting of the full length rails, I believe the same jig is used for the twin plates and the full length rails.

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
15 days on Protectors mounted to Peak 104s.

Since Tyrolia lists the Protector PR as only being available for purchase with brake widths of 85mm or 95mm, the assumption is that since you have the PRs, you probably purchased with the 95mm brake width option and bent them to accommodated your 104 waist skis. If so, did the bending result well?
The alternate assumption is that you also picked up some 110mm brakes and changed out your 95s, as the 110s are probably available for purchase separately (since they are an available width for the Protector Attack, which as we know shares the same heel with the Protector PR).

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since Tyrolia lists the Protector PR as only being available for purchase with brake widths of 85mm or 95mm, the assumption is that since you have the PRs, you probably purchased with the 95mm brake width option and bent them to accommodated your 104 waist skis. If so, did the bending result well?
The alternate assumption is that you also picked up some 110mm brakes and changed out your 95s, as the 110s are probably available for purchase separately (since they are an available width for the Protector Attack, which as we know shares the same heel with the Protector PR).

IDK where you read only 85mm and 95mm brakes, Protector PR is also available with 110mm brake

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 10.31.06 AM.png

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I got Tyrolia Protector SLR GW 11 from Kunstadt Sports in Ottawa for $360 CDN.

Are the Protector SLR's on sale yet anywhere online? Shipping to Australia would be nice.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 110 brakes, but the 95 brakes also fit the 104 with minimal rub, no bending required.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are the Protector SLR's on sale yet anywhere online? Shipping to Australia would be nice.
I'm finding nothing via Google search and I've been looking as I have Protector PR 13 95mm still in unopened shipping box ordered from REI in Jan/Feb which I was on the fence about using on a 100mm ski but figured better to order than chancing the model selling out by the time I decide. I plan on returning to them the store and waiting for Protector SLR before mounting up and using a pair of new in wrapper skis decorating a corner of the family room:nono:

... who know's, by the time Protector SLR is available I may find a more interesting ski and sell the current new in wrapper pair come early season:doh:
:rolleyes:

Sponsor