• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
What are people's thoughts in general with the introduction of Tyrolia Protector heel release technology to the market?

Is it a generational leap akin to the introduction of shaped skis?

Or will it become another entry in thread ski innovations that went away?

Feels like the main market for Protectors are skiers, like myself, who already have had some sort of ski-related knee injury with the old binding technology. Seems like the majority of skiers don't really care about their knees and can go for years blissfully unaware of this type of tech until the day they twist their knee and only then would they go looking for binding solutions like protectors or kneebinding.

This seems like a no-brainer for resorts to upgrade their whole rental fleet, cost permitting, to skis with Protector bindings to minimise ACL injuries on newbies.

Do you think other binding makers like Marker and others are panicking behind the scenes over the introduction of this tech or they don't care?

Last edited:

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
IDK where you read only 85mm and 95mm brakes, Protector PR is also available with 110mm brake

I read it on the Tyrolia website itself, though I am glad to hear it is available with other brake options through retail as you have shown in your post.

This is from Tyrolia:
30A64DDC-A51C-4E3A-B4F8-A2FB22DCC3F0.jpeg

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
What are people's thoughts in general with the introduction of Tyrolia Protector heel release technology to the market?
It’s great, and long overdue for a big respected manufacturer to bring this to market.

Not ready to answer this one yet.

I don’t think it is going away. From what I have heard they are selling well, though I cannot back that up with any figures, just the word on the street.

This seems like a no-brainer for resorts to upgrade their whole rental fleet, cost permitting, to skis with Protector bindings to minimise ACL injuries on newbies.
Agree. The potential increase in safety is nice. Also, we all know that the resorts are out to minimize their liability.

Do you think other binding makers like Marker and others are panicking behind the scenes over the introduction of this tech or they don't care?
Doubt they are panicking, though sure they are paying attention. Who knows what the other companies have going on behind the scenes. I would suspect that a number big manufacturers have already done past R&D on lateral heel release concepts, and could be working on them now. If the Tyrolia Protector series does well in the market, we will be more likely to see other companies join with their own versions of lateral heel release bindings.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Feels like the main market for Protectors are skiers, like myself, who already have had some sort of ski-related knee injury with the old binding technology. Seems like the majority of skiers don't really care about their knees and can go for years blissfully unaware of this type of tech until the day they twist their knee and only then would they go looking for binding solutions like protectors or kneebinding.

Given that they were hard to find early season and they are again hard to find late season, it seems Tyrolia has hit their sales targets. And just perusing EVO and other sites it seems like the popular alpine bindings are still in stock: all models, all sizes. That's not the case with Protectors. Yes, I think the other binding companies are watching this closely. Those that aren't at least a year into new product development are probably worried.

I reject the notion that the yet-to-be-injured don't care about their knees. Every skier knows a skier who knows a skier who has suffered a serious knee injury. Just consider the cult following of Pivots: the reason behind the following is not because they look cool; it's because of Pivot's reputation for safety and reliability, both real and perceived. And therein lies the challenge: educating the skiing masses as to why Protectors are better. Many still believe (falsely) in the Pivot rotating heel. Though if LOOK came out with a side releasing Pivot, or better, toe ejection on lateral heel force, that would be pretty darn awesome.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Doubt they are panicking, though sure they are paying attention. Who knows what the other companies have going on behind the scenes. I would suspect that a number big manufacturers have already done past R&D on lateral heel release concepts, and could be working on them now. If the Tyrolia Protector series does well in the market, we will be more likely to see other companies join with their own versions of lateral heel release bindings.

I secretly hope they are panicking so that I can rebuy Volkl Deacon Vwerks with Marker's version of a heel release binding years from now.
For now, I will never ski a non-Protector ski ever again, even if I really like that ski. The memory of being bed ridden for a month rehabbing a swollen knee is too painful to relive.

Yes, I think the other binding companies are watching this closely. Those that aren't at least a year into new product development are probably worried.

I wonder how long the development timeline for a product like this is? My conservative estimate is at least 3 years from R&D to CAD to prototypes to testing to general release.

If I'm right about 3 years, that's a heck of a long time for other binding companies to catch up and recover if it Protectors gain traction and they haven't started R&D'ing heel release bindings yet. The quick route would probably to just license the tech from Tyrolia and pay royalties on their patents.

And think of the smaller ski companies that don't use Tyrolia. They might be forced to switch or partner with Tyrolia if it means just maintaining market share if the skiing public demands it. That's more strain on the other binding companies.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I reject the notion that the yet-to-be-injured don't care about their knees.
I'd agree with you rejecting that.

I'm just getting back into skiing this year after a lot of years off. When looking for skis I got throughly confused and finally decided to buy some based on the bindings they came with (Protectors) rather than the ski itself.

My thought was it didn't really matter what specific ski I got at this point. I'd rather have "better" bindings instead of something a reviewer I know nothing about said was more playful than something else, or more this or more that. None of which really mean anything to me yet.

I don't know enough to know if I want one style ski vs another at this point, but I do know I like to avoid injury.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that is a bit over stated. It is an evolution in binding design. Note also, lateral release is not new, bilateral, yes.
I don't. I think it will be around and more adaptations.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

I think of it as a new opportunity for older skiers to keep skiing for a longer time especially if they have had medical issues. The age of the skiing population is a bit towards the older group and they want to ski for a lifetime, this binding will help. I am not sure if other manufacturers are going to jump on the band wagon because it is difficult to overcome the first to market product unless they can demonstrate a significant improvement. As they say "Time Will Tell" but as I have said up thread it will probably be my next binding.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
IMHO, if this will prove to be a successfully product and gain significant market share, the risk for other manufacturers will not be to lose market share in the bindings area only, but also in the bundled ski/plates/bindings segment.
Thus, I expect all of the to "jump on the bandwagon".
I for once like the MVD products but, if it will go down to save my knee and lose the skis I so much like to ski, or keep the skis and lose the knees...it will be a no-brainer. I am already looking around for my BH...still please ty of time for the others to catch up, though.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I read it on the Tyrolia website itself, though I am glad to hear it is available with other brake options through retail as you have shown in your post.

This is from Tyrolia:
View attachment 195547
odd, but the site has an option to purchase, maybe other size are sold out

Same website Protector Attack 13 MN 85, 95, 110 & 130mm brake options:

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 12.16.39 PM.png

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
odd, but the site has an option to purchase, maybe other size are sold out

Same website Protector Attack 13 MN 85, 95, 110 & 130mm brake options:

View attachment 195574

I was specifically referring to the PRDs appearing to only have the 85 and 95 mm brakes available (not the Attacks). I also said that they were available in wider widths in the Attack version, which you have pictured in your post. On a later post, I clarified that my source of information was the Tyrolia website.

Possible, like you noted, that Tyrolia may just be sold out of these brake sizes for their own retail stock [of PRDs]. Usually, though, the purchase option just gets “greyed out” and/or has an opaque “X” through it when out of stock.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was specifically referring to the PRDs appearing to only have the 85 and 95 mm brakes available (not the Attacks). I also said that they were available in wider widths in the Attack version, which you have pictured in your post. On a later post, I clarified that my source of information was the Tyrolia website.

Possible, like you noted, that Tyrolia may just be sold out of these brake sizes for their own retail stock of PRDs. Usually, though, the purchase option just gets “greyed out” and/or has an opaque “X” through it when out of stock.

PR 13s with 110 mm brakes.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- Feels like the main market for Protectors are skiers, like myself, who already have had some sort of ski-related knee injury with the old binding technology.

Not me, fortunately I have not had a knee injury requiring medical attention due to skiing and I am very interested in the Protector binding

I do not race or do zipper line moguls and I try to avoid buying skis that lock you into a turn and do not easily release from a turn. I think ski design also is a contributing factor in knee injuries

SkiEssentials Jeff: "crazy but I loved jumping on this thing I just took a couple landings kind of big and then you could feel like how soft that tail is and it just washed out but like that's not necessarily a bad thing because on a stiffer ski I might have torn my ACL"

A-A-Ron

Booting up
Skier
Just consider the cult following of Pivots: the reason behind the following is not because they look cool; it's because of Pivot's reputation for safety and reliability, both real and perceived.
Totally agree. Generally speaking, [often] being able to ski Look Pivots at a lower DIN than their competitors due to the great elasticity that the Pivot series provides is a great safety advantage. They feel great to ski.

And therein lies the challenge: educating the skiing masses as to why Protectors are better.
That argument will probably not be appreciated by everyone, though you are right- for the skiing masses the Protectors are better. The Protectors are not better in all respects, though, they should be better in perhaps the one thing that should matter to the most people. Safety.

Many still believe (falsely) in the Pivot rotating heel.
Right, the myth about Look Pivots that never seems to go away!

Though if LOOK came out with a side releasing Pivot, or better, toe ejection on lateral heel force, that would be pretty darn awesome.
Could be a dream come true if all the advantages of a Look Pivot could be combined with the advantages of a Tyrolia Protector. Likely a big engineering challenge, but if Look could make it low stand height with lateral heel release, plus the other elasticity ratings of the current Pivots, it could be an amazing binding.

LeoHunt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of Head WorldCup Rebels E.SLR skis with the waist width of 66mm. The current bindings on the are PR 11 GW with break width of 78mm.

I saw on earlier thread saying that 68mm waist width works fine with Tyrolia Protector 13 of 85mm brake. But I'm not sure if 66mm waist is also okay. Has anyone tried this?
I didn't find any option with the brake width less than 85mm, not even the supposedly new model Protector SLR 10 in 23/24. Are there any other possible options, without changing the ski?
Thanks.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of Head WorldCup Rebels E.SLR skis with the waist width of 66mm. The current bindings on the are PR 11 GW with break width of 78mm.

I saw on earlier thread saying that 68mm waist width works fine with Tyrolia Protector 13 of 85mm brake. But I'm not sure if 66mm waist is also okay. Has anyone tried this?
I didn't find any option with the brake width less than 85mm, not even the supposedly new model Protector SLR 10 in 23/24. Are there any other possible options, without changing the ski?
Thanks.

I use the 85mm brakes on a 65mm ski, no issues. Given the design, it would be harder to support a narrower brake. Retracted, the 85mm brake arms are held up against the Protector binding housing.

LeoHunt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I use the 85mm brakes on a 65mm ski, no issues. Given the design, it would be harder to support a narrower brake. Retracted, the 85mm brake arms are held up against the Protector binding housing.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm new to ski equipments. I saw the pictures you posted earlier with them on 71mm waist width skis. It seems like the brakes has some extra space to the skis' edges without the boots in them. And it became narrower when the boots are in the bindings so it won't affect the actual skiing. I guess this is the ideal situation in both cases?
Besides, what are the general problems if the brake are indeed to wide for the ski?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
You are almost giving me an evil idea...but I think it won't be doable. I have a very old Head i.SL (from 2003)...
Unfortunately the plate is not one where the bindings are slinding onto, rather toe and heel are screwed into it...so no good for simply sliding 'em out and sliding a Protector in...