• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

U12 questions

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Has been in the ZSoft+ plug for years now (funnily enough it flexes better than the 70 or 90...go figure).
that’s interesting feedback on the Langes. Are you saying the flex is softer or just ”better”? Mine used to ski all the Langes up to the RSJ 65, but once ”graduating” to the real boots couldn’t ever get the 70 or 90s to work to her liking. She went to an Atomic 90. We never looked at the Lange Zsoft. Not sure why. Also Is the cuff lower like the SC models? Did you have to soften it for yours? Not sure if she needs the SC but I’m curious About that boot.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A SG ski is the right tool for the speed and the courses they will ski [in a normal jr SG]. If they are doing something out of the norm... it might be different, ask coach (I have no experience other than 'normal' U12/U14/U16 etc. but understand that some set differently and call it SG??) For a normal junior SG, a SG ski is a great advantage and can be skied properly with nice big arcs remaining stable in higher than GS speeds.

EDIT to add: they don’t see much use, so see if you can find second hand. Even fairly old ones can be very good (and fast). And they are super easy to resell. At our used equipment days, SG:s literally gets snatched out of sellers hands.

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
that’s interesting feedback on the Langes. Are you saying the flex is softer or just ”better”? Mine used to ski all the Langes up to the RSJ 65, but once ”graduating” to the real boots couldn’t ever get the 70 or 90s to work to her liking. She went to an Atomic 90. We never looked at the Lange Zsoft. Not sure why. Also Is the cuff lower like the SC models? Did you have to soften it for yours? Not sure if she needs the SC but I’m curious About that boot.
Not softer, but better. The Plug hinges signifcantly better and allows for a smoother flex. The 70 (which my daughter was on) effectively pinched at the cuff/clog interface, and then the clog bowed out when flexed more forcefully. So some movement....block/pinch and then further movement at the clog as it bellowed. Ended up cutting that boot up like crazy to get it where we wanted (it fit the best). Then when it was time to move to the 90....coaches took a risk as suggested the ZSoft+ (states 110 flex...no idea if this is true, doesn't matter as the boot is supurb) which on paper was a crazy step up. But after getting the fit dialed in, it was far better than we could've imagined. In the early days we cut the sides and removed a bolt, but now it's both bolts and no cuts.

She wasn't the greatest with her fore/aft, and locking out on the boot prior, but this boot (and no doubt some maturity/understanding/strength) change has allowed her to do just that. (now we don't even have to discuss being locked out, or crushing the boot, it's there).

As mentioned, super surprised when we made the change. Was fully ready to buy the 90 thinking the plug was going to be too much boot.

The new atomic boot is great, you will see quite a lot of similarity to the Lange when you compare them. Think a simlar thing with theirs as the plug is just "better" provided you have enough time/patience to get the fit dialed in. A lot of work grinding and punching to get those perfect. We even went so far as to freeze shells to see how the plastic would shrink in the cold (given we were doing a lot of the initial work in the summer). Sure helped as I didn't need to use my boot grinder when she got back on snow (although I did pack it just in case).

Edit: As far as SC goes....not sure to be honest as I hadn't paid attention to how this plug sits in relation to the SC. My daughter didn't specificly need a SC so this didn't catch my eye at all.