• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uh oh. Fast Tracks at Powdr resorts is coming

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
From the WSJ

"Resort operator Powdr is launching dedicated fast-access lanes at four of its mountain resorts this season: Copper Mountain in Colorado, Killington in Vermont, Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and Snowbird in Utah. To access the lanes, which will be located at the most popular lifts at each mountain resort, guests will need to purchase a daily Fast Tracks pass. They will start at $49 a day, but have dynamic pricing based on the mountain, peak periods, holidays and day of the week, and go on sale Nov. 1.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not surprised. Its another way to make money and give people a chance to avoid lines.
@Wasatchman would you buy one for Snowbird?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Northstar used to have something similar but purchased for season, IIC they started off farily reasonable, like $349 then eventually went up every year for a while then when Vail went to a new type of ticket system, it was abandoned.

I am not sure why the "Uh oh..." This isn't much different than getting a group private lesson, I know an oxymoron, but they exist, on a powder day to cut lines. Fast Passes are not an uncommon feature, amusement parks have been doing this for years. When we went to Universal Studios in Orlando, we stayed at the park and stepped up to this. There were popular rides that we went on that we passed the same people in the line a couple of times.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Starting at $49" is the key here and it going up on busier days? I think very few will step up enough for it to make a significant difference in everyone else's experience.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant has this as an add on or it's free to mountain condo owners. The add on wasn't too bad. Last season with Covid they sold a ton of these and it was better to use the regular line. So they really jacked up the price this season and you had to buy before the season ended in April. I ski with 2 mountain owners, so I get the pass to be able to ski with them. But this could be the last year....it basically doubled my Ikon base pass.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I'm not surprised. Its another way to make money and give people a chance to avoid lines.
@Wasatchman would you buy one for Snowbird?
Never say never but I don't think so. I understand the line cutting privileges for lessons, but the concept of a fast pass doesn't sit well with me.

I'm concerned paid parking and fast passes may become a reality at all major resorts. Really surprised powdr is one of the first to go with the fast pass concept.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tremblant has this as an add on or it's free to mountain condo owners. The add on wasn't too bad. Last season with Covid they sold a ton of these and it was better to use the regular line. So they really jacked up the price this season and you had to buy before the season ended in April. I ski with 2 mountain owners, so I get the pass to be able to ski with them. But this could be the last year....it basically doubled my Ikon base pass.

I like the free to condo mountain owners piece! Sweet perk.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
This could bite back. Bachelor has a history of lift issues.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand the line cutting privileges for lessons, but the concept of a fast pass doesn't sit well with me.
I don't see the difference, if you assume (as I believe often happens) that it's not really a lesson, but just a way to cut the line.

And I think Copper has had it for several years now, but maybe only on pass products (rather than daily purchases)? If so, that would have served to limit how many people would buy it.

That said, I'm not really in favor of it if it was up to me... I don't like the impression/idea that it creates different classes of access out on the mountain. (I think likewise for the amusement parks.) But I don't believe it's a big deal.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't go skiing to fight crowds in the parking lots, lodge, lift lines, or trails. If any one of them is crowded, I go somewhere else. I'd much rather pay more for them to LIMIT the total number of people, rather than paying more so I can skip ahead of the crowd in the lift line. They should be doing things to decrease the crowds, not increase them.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
What if they sell so many "Fast Pass" tickets that the "Fast Pass" line is equal or longer than the "Plebian" line? Then the "Fast Pass" line becomes the "Slow" line?

It's like everyone clogging up the left "Fast Lane" heading N on I5 from Corvallis to Portland. The right lane is often clear and becomes the de facto "fast lane".

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I don't see the difference, if you assume (as I believe often happens) that it's not really a lesson, but just a way to cut the line.
To me there is a big difference. I don't think it's fair for people to be stuck in line if they are paying for an expensive lesson. Yes, some wealthy people take a lesson just for the line cutting, but it's rare and nothing they can really enforce to stop that.

Fast pass on the other hand is purely about creating a class of skiers for line cutting privileges. It does not sit well with me as far as yet another class differentiation on the mountain, and as @jmeb put it very well, is an amusement park invention that i think is in poor taste and doesn't seem to fit the culture of ski resorts I've been to.

I notice you and I in general seem to see things very differently on a variety of things and that's okay. Variety is the spice of life.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am not sure why the "Uh oh..." This isn't much different than getting a group private lesson, I know an oxymoron, but they exist, on a powder day to cut lines.
The private lesson hack has a supply limited by the number of instructors available for private lessons on that day. Sounds like the number of fast passes available for sale any given day will probably be MUCH higher.. possibly even defeating the purpose if they sell too many so that there are lines anyway..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I imagine the next thing will be demand or surge pricing like the Uber. Maybe you won't know what you paid until you get your visa bill!!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Mammoth has had a fast pass for quite a while, the Black pass allows you to scoot in right at the front. I think its something like a $10k add-on. Correct me if I'm wrong

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was inevitable and I fully expect it to spread. Get ready for “premium” Epic and Ikon passes. :nono:
Then Ultra Premium. Then Double Secret Ultra Premium. then ...

When does it stop, when people stop paying.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I imagine the next thing will be demand or surge pricing like the Uber. Maybe you won't know what you paid until you get your visa bill!!

Already a thing in Europe. Difference is -- even at the highest surge -- you're still paying less than 100 euro a day for a lift ticket. And you can often score tickets for a third of that midweek.

Thing is -- at least with surge pricing -- once you're on the mountain everyone is treated the same. We don't need more and more mechanisms to create animosity between skiers on the hill just so corps can squeeze out a few more bucks.

Sponsor