• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncertified Instructors

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
Pulling over and dealing with the problem is not an option in aviation. Pull back houses get smaller, pull all the way back houses get bigger.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
How many profession that pay their experienced worker less than 2x of their rookies?

(There're JOBS that doesn't pay their experienced staff not much more than rookies. But most of those jobs are unskilled jobs, not "professional" careers)
Our company pays brand new employees more than current staff with 10 years experience...

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Our company pays brand new employees more than current staff with 10 years experience...
That's a strategy in the software industry. Hire kids for cheap, train them and work them as hard as you can, Let all the burn outs leave. Never compete with consulting company salaries when the smart ones want to leave.

dm

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's a strategy in the software industry. Hire kids for cheap, train them and work them as hard as you can, Let all the burn outs leave. Never compete with consulting company salaries when the smart ones want to leave.

dm
The other side can play the same game too.

Work hard and get trained. Jump to a higher pay spot, whether it's consulting or competitors. Take a break year once in a while. Or better yet, cruise on auto-pilot in a project that you build. And once rested and bored, propose an enhancement that uses new technology you want to learn...

Rinse and repeat.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cuz we are skiing for free!! I can answer the bell every 11/2 to 2 hours for free skiing.
Only if you work in a real mountain that has 'actual' skiing.

What about the 300' bump? How many of those 2 hours you want to kill in that mountain? Day in and day out? All winter long?

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
The one and a half hour bell time was was at a fairly large Montana area that attracts a lot of upper midwest tourists..The midwest bump is totally different. They will call or text and ask if we are going to be there on such and such day and if we would be able to teach then. They get requests for lessons and have a general idea of who we like to teach. No pressure. Set your own schedule. We get 60% of the lesson cost but honestly would do it for much less- never about the money it's way too much fun. As an aside and totally off topic, has anyone noticed an increase in kids that show a lot more fear?

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well,

Big bull.JPG
hawk.JPG STC_0019.JPG STC_0229.JPG
some people think that!
Some of my neighbors....

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Only if you work in a real mountain that has 'actual' skiing.

What about the 300' bump? How many of those 2 hours you want to kill in that mountain? Day in and day out? All winter long?

All of them?

Skiing is skiing, and if you're bored, you're boring.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All of them?

I get that a lot around here. I talk about our small midwest hill at work all the time. Get more than a few that say, they've skied in the mountains and won't go until they can go "out west". "It's too boring here". I always say, I guess it depends how much you like to ski. I can't drive to Steamboat on a Tuesday. I've skied a few mountains too, and yeah, I'd rather have that in my backyard. But I don't. But I do love to ski and am thankful we have this midwest bump to call home.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
All of them?

No, not all skiing is created equal. Frankly, I'd rather be boring than yo-yoing up and down a 300' man-made ice strip between occasional classes!

I'd rather do something else far more interesting, like pay to ski at Killington or Sugarbush than getting "paid" $10/hr yo-yoing up and down the home bump.

All of them?
It doesn't matter whether it's "all of them" or not. I'm not driving hours to teach at mountains far away. It's not sustainable.

Bottom line, the 'bump' can hire as many teenagers to teach beginners at $10/hr at random as they like. I'm not such a teenager.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online