• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Understanding Tahoe Travel Restrictions

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Am always monitoring the Tahoe Daily Tribune news.

At this point now in late January, we can infer that the worst scenarios posed in early December for Tahoe ski land have not come to pass as we expected. That despite a minority with masks at chins or below noses in lift lines (yeah those sticky ones also picking their noses), and warnings of a holiday period apocalypse, that almost none of we ornery enthusiasts have been coming down with COVID. Yeah! As we now move into the real winter snow season, we hedonists can continue our modest practices without further guilt.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, if "worst" case is death, sure. But just this weekend a friend who has been going from the Bay area to Tahoe with some regularity and not day trips this winter tested positive and lost sense of taste/smell, i.e. not likely a false positive. So it's not like it's not being transmitted. We shouldn't be complacent.

SSSdave

Skier
@SSSdave, I don't think that article is trying to say anything about the safety of skiing, especially vs. not.
It doesn't need to. It's the paper's daily numerical pandemic summary from the county. My reason to linking to it is to show for those that want to look at real numbers, you won't find anything obvious there to point at we snow enthusiasts. Neither anything in other regional news sites. We've passed our test.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The test of public opinion, perhaps. It would be great to have data showing that skiing is not a source of transmission (e.g. via chairlifts), but an absence of articles specifically pointing the finger at skiers isn't that.

SSSdave

Skier
Absolutely zero chance that will happen from news media or state politicians as their whole warped politically correct game plan for months as I've posted herein is broad stroke, try to discourage discourage blah blah blah. Thus goes against that strategy. They are obviously winking at scapegoated outdoor sports enthusiasts who are clearly not the demographic causing virus spread anyone looking at state age and ethnic numbers can readily view. The fact the current orders are not mandatory but rather "to stay at home as much as possible" plays to that tune. On other outdoor web boards I post on, hikers, climbers, fishermen, backpackers, consensus is obvious as we are all at this point 10 months into the pandemic going to be quietly active staying fit and content.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
  • Health experts say it is too soon for vaccines to be playing a major role in the decline with just 8% of the population having received the first shot and fewer than 2% being fully immunized
  • Officials say the drop is likely due to a higher number of people who've had the virus than official counts suggest, as many as 90 million people, and fewer people traveling than did over the winter holidays
  • It's not just the U.S., however. The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday it has also seen declining new infections globally over the past three weeks. Our World in Data graphs show the daily infection rate has fallen by 30 percent in that period.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
PLEASE READ!
We seem to be slipping off the Understanding Tahoe Travel Restrictions and into the political side of things. Let's please bring it back and keep it on track. This is a very useful, informative thread for those wishing to come to the Tahoe area from all over; let's keep it that way. Thank you.

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
PLEASE READ!
We seem to be slipping off the Understanding Tahoe Travel Restrictions and into the political side of things. Let's please bring it back and keep it on track. This is a very useful, informative thread for those wishing to come to the Tahoe area from all over; let's keep it that way. Thank you.

Sorry. Was just posting "good news" that came up regarding the situation - light at the end of the tunnel for is all?? :D

Didn't mean my post it to be a political comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd actually like a simple answer to this question.
If I decided to go for a two or three day trip to Mammoth, would I be able to find lodging, and would it be permissable?

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd actually like a simple answer to this question.
If I decided to go for a two or three day trip to Mammoth, would I be able to find lodging, and would it be permissable?

AirBnB and VRBO never stopped offering up lodging to my knowledge. Now with the state moving many counties back into purple tier, I believe hotels around Mammoth should be open to more than just essential workers.

I think the CDPH travel advisory discouraging all non-essential travel that is more than 120 miles from your home in California is still in effect. Not sure how that was ever enforced though.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We got this today by text from Nevada County CA health dept. for loosening of CA Covid-19 vaccine restrictions!

Bottom line is Everyone 65 and over in CA is now up for Covid vaccine shot. Sutter Health is now taking appointments.
Trish & I snagged 2 slots in Roseville on 2/15. They're going like hotcakes. Good availability weekdays and weekends.
Likely gone in hours or days. Sutter is big in Sacramento, Bay area, and Central Valley.

sutterhealth.org

Just heard on news that some CVS & Walgreens locations thru-out the US may start next week.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
AirBnB and VRBO never stopped offering up lodging to my knowledge. Now with the state moving many counties back into purple tier, I believe hotels around Mammoth should be open to more than just essential workers.

I think the CDPH travel advisory discouraging all non-essential travel that is more than 120 miles from your home in California is still in effect. Not sure how that was ever enforced though.

That may be true for Tahoe. But Mammoth area had big fines it the lodging place got caught and they loose their license the rest of the year. So compliance was good there. Of course now most of the state is in Purple tier so lodging has reopened.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa Clara county ICU capacity finally back over 15% after two months under. Daily infection rates around 500 vs 2-4K during holidays. Spring/Dawn coming?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Santa Clara County, which has been especially conservative when it comes to be reopening, is going along with the state's timeline this time. They're allowing for all the reopenings listed above, as well as lifting the 10-day travel quarantine.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As of March 1, lodging at Mammoth is 100% open. The only restriction is to have at least one day between rentals. Ski on Tuesday through Thursday for the fewest number of people.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just can't. I was expecting this to be an Onion story.
Such bad journalism though.
It's the Japanese theme parks that are already open asked for No screaming though;

There is no such "no screaming" rule in CA not in the guidelines, blueprint nor even in the the CA theme park industry's group Reopen plans. So Nobody is saying no screaming for CA other than the writer trying to save his job by randomly alluding to something going on in Japan.

The mitigation they propose is just through masks and lower loads, same as just about every other activity/attraction.
The author hedges his bets by saying "could" on everything; He should've just and done the cop-out and put a ? after every article title so they can claim the most click-baity hypothetical scenario rather than actually doing reporting on what has been proposed to happen.

I get journalism is super tough, and he has to save/justify his job with clicks, but have some integrity.

Last edited: