• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unexpected passing of Dr. Jeffery Shiffrin

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Really terrible. I think about what could have been and what will be missed, for any family that suffers a loss like this.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I attended a medical talk on trauma in the older patient, which I qualify for at 60. The best way to prevent trauma in this population is to keep them off ladders.

He was clearly a good and proud dad. Sad for the Shiffrin family and would not shock me if she took the rest of the season off.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right now, I would guess that it would not feel much of a consolation for Mikaela, but here is an interesting thing that I was told when, as a young man, I lost my Dad. "We should always fervently wish to lose and mourn our parents." It took me a while, and greater maturity, to understand. We are all blessed to be able to bury our parents, because the alternative is much, much worse: they should never have to bury us, and when they do die before us, they will not have to go through the worst experience a parent can face.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hot water heater in the yoga studio we rent out blew up today. What is it with hot water heaters? I have four non working hot water heaters on my deck, all newer than four years old. Five now.

Anyhow, I'm on a rickety ladder lifting a heavy old water heater down. Made it. But while setting up the new heater, I thought about Jeff Shiffrin, wobbly ladders, the effect of accidents on the family and recent losses (Jeff Shiffrin, Dave Goode, Kobe, Dave McCoy, my own father - wonderful people so not as dark as it sounds).

My son shows up to help (I do have a good life!).

"Dad, are your eyes OK?"

To the entire Shiffrin family, best wishes and you are in our thoughts.

Eric

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
“This sport we are so passionate about — this sport our father/husband was so passionate about—is an incredible source of healing and the mountains offer overwhelming solace during this devastating time. We don’t know where we’ll go from here, but we know we will lean on each other and love each other more than ever.”
- Mikaela Shiffrin

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have moved the content about Mikaela's dad to its own thread.

“This sport we are so passionate about — this sport our father/husband was so passionate about—is an incredible source of healing and the mountains offer overwhelming solace during this devastating time. We don’t know where we’ll go from here, but we know we will lean on each other and love each other more than ever.”
- Mikaela Shiffrin

Sponsor