• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicorn Search: mid-sized 4WD/AWD New England vehicle with decent gas mileage

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting conversation/discussion here.

On the Subie experience, @Philpug for the win. Just a few cars!!

When it was time to buy our daughter her first car, she {a ski racer doing a LOT of driving} wanted an Outback. We found a one owner CPO 2002 H6 VDC. 32K miles. It turned out to be a tremendous car. I bet it would still be going strong, were it not for our discovering a badly rusting {inside out} rear crossmember five years later.

At about the time that we bought that i needed a car that for me leaned toward the appliance. And an AWD wagon. I bought a CPO 2005 LGT wagon. Standard. Among the 60+ cars that my wife and I have owned that one is near the bottom of the least. I could not believe the problems, the cost, and the truly crappy build quality. I hated the transmission, the clutch…the car.

Our daughter replaced her car with a 2008 Outback XT. Our son’s GF had a 2006 3.0R, as did my sister. All bought expecting decent reliable transportation. Not even close. All very costly.

In our extended family we now have 3 latest generation Subies and so far….everybody is pleased. So that’s a plus.

Now during the same years, we have owned a number of now older Toyotas. My wife and I have a 2003 Land Cruiser. Number 4 to us. The last one we gave to my nephew at 400K miles.

My wife is a landscape designer, and a year ago we replaced her much beloved Gen 1 Highlander at 350K miles. “The office” ran pretty well, but it was on borrowed time. Incredibly inexpensive to own. Work truck for her.

We replaced that with a very lightly used Gen 2 Sequioa. Private sale. Cheap. I think we scored a home run on it.

My brother has both an Element and an older Pilot that live as extra vehicles at either their ski or summer homes. Simple, reliable, utilitarian…cheap.

Their daughter has a brand new Pilot and “the jury is out.” One more failure and it’s going back. Dealer also owns Hyundai/Kia stores. They think they should have gone that route.

They still have a Sienna AWD. The bike/sports van. 250K+ hard miles. Runs like a top.

I won’t get into other brands. We own a lot, German cars, many with very high mileage. My brother and I are car guys, and love to do our own work. The older ones are better than the newer ones….simply put.

I guess my big headline is to NOT make any brand assumptions, GOOD OR BAD, based on prior 25, 20, 15 maybe even 10 year old experience.

I still see 25 year old Subies, with duct tape covering rust, all over Northern New England. Huge mileage, still running. And for my money and much experience, the 2005-2009 Legacy wagons and Outbacks were great looking cars. And after that……

I also wholeheartedly agree that most newer cars are quite complex and don’t seem to be destined to have really long reliable lives. So much that I think is unnecessary and just has “fail” written all over it.

A close dealer friend says that his brands….high end….are built to be leased…then sold after 3 years, CPO. No interest or care in the real longevity. No focus. Very different.

My brother swung by his local Audi dealer to pick up some parts for his S8…..driving his 1995.5 S6 Avant. Which is an amazing example. The service manager saw him, said Hi and had 6 or so of his techs come check out the car. Which led to them drawing straws to see who got to take it for a spin. Driver was blown away.

The car is older than 4 of the 6 guys. Build quality is off the charts, along with materials. It is SO obvious.

I’m looking out my window, and can see a bunch of neighbors cars. New Outback, an S5, MDX, QS5, Tacoma, Volvo V90. CRX, and two Lexus RX’s. No question these will be “good cars” for a lot of miles. How long??? Dunno. And how many will keep them past, say 150K? My guess is none…maybe the Tacoma.

Different world. I liked the old car world. When people held onto cars. Before the two year lease, run through any and all businesses!!!!

Grumpy old man!!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Look at the platform overlap on this list. I am not fully up on the Toyota platform sharing, I am sure someone will put them all together but 2, 7, 10, 12 are basically the same vehicle. Almost all are body on frame trucks.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.37.06 AM.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having owned about 15 Subaris and sold well over 1,000 we forget the head gasket issues and the shortcomings of the 4EAT transmission. I never felt that Subarus (overall) had the same level of reliablity as some of the other Asian brands.
And the Subaru turbos. I have a friend and a family member whose turbo has failed within a year of being out of warranty, and neither will buy another Subaru.

There is hope they have improved, but we won't know until the current crop of Suburas gets into high mileage. If the new WRX fit my needs better, I would have bought it, but only with an extended warranty. I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty on a Toyota.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Keep in mind a lot of parts are cross-mfg. The same turbo in a Subaru may be in a Toyota. IHI, Mitsu, Borg Warner, Garrett..they all cross models and mfgs. That's not to say implementation isn't an issue..but generally, they're all shared in some way with other mfg's. I would say..turbos in general can be an issue rather than looking at specific mfgs.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was taught in a 1986 Chevy Suburban, the rationale being that if I could parallel park a land whale like a Suburban I could park anything.
I know. I used to have a pickup truck when I lived in Brooklyn and got very good at parking it. Sometimes spending 5 minutes wedging into a spot.

However… some of these new cars are an absolute abomination to parallel park. I can’t figure out the Ford Escape. Just backing up into a spot or in a straightline is tough. Something about the up swept sides, the oddly shaped and angled side mirrors. It just throws you off. It’s 2-D spatial disorientation! Just bizarre, and an embarrassment sometimes backing it up.

Honestly, my biggest turnoff is cabin temperature setpoints. Relative sliders and consistent, controllable circulation for me any day.
I find Suburu Ascent the worst. Overly complicated, I don’t know wtf it’s doing. I’ve found Ford ok, as long as it has knobs to adjust the temp. You don’t need much attention to operate, it’s fairly straight forward and easy yo over ride. Glass screens or up/down sensor are an abomination. Essentially texting while driving.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
+1 on the love/hate for turbo Subaru's. I had my '06 Legacy GT 5-speed turbo wagon for 11 years. It was wonderful for what it was. Yes, the turbo went prematurely, but the car was still far cheaper to run than the contemporary Audi wagons.

That being said, that OG S6 wagon as described by @Muleski does sound incredibly special - from the time when German cars were all seemingly 'overbuilt.' I remember in high school a friend's dad had a dark green original S4 sedan, and that thing was beautiful.

FWIW I recently bought a low-miles 2014 Volvo XC70 T6, replacing our 2015 V60 T6 as the ski/roadtrip car, and we're loving it. (the V60 was great but ended up being a little too small and compromised for what we wanted) I would suggest a late-model T5 or T6 XC70 might tick many of the OP's boxes, save for the gas mileage - I'm averaging about 22 MPG city/hwy - but at least it takes Regular!

I know these 2010-era Volvo's are not without their occasional electronic hiccups, but the way they seem to be put together does remind me a little bit of the 'overbuilt' or 'overengineered' Japanese and German stuff. (fingers crossed as I write this...)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW I recently bought a low-miles 2014 Volvo XC70 T6, replacing our 2015 V60 T6 as the ski/roadtrip car, and we're loving it.

I've got the 2013 XC60 R-Design with only 60k and still love it. Bought it for the firmer suspension and factory-chipped engine, but would KILL for the length of your XC70's cargo compartment.

It is so hard to beat a torquey inline six engine!

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got the 2013 XC60 R-Design with only 60k and still love it. Bought it for the firmer suspension and factory-chipped engine, but would KILL for the length of your XC70's cargo compartment.

It is so hard to beat a torquey inline six engine!
Ha, no kidding - I really dig those original XC60 R-designs. I do at times miss the R-Design suspension that you have, though I'm enjoying the 70's pillowy ride. I haven't checked but I don't imagine there's a ton of difference in cargo length between the two? Mine also just turned over 62,000 miles. Our cars are of course just getting broken in! (again, fingers crossed...)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't checked but I don't imagine there's a ton of difference in cargo length between the two?

Just four inches and eight cubic feet more, but I'd take that length especially in a heartbeat for bike/ski transport.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably Yokohama Avid Gt's, nothing special , but here in Oregon you need to have snow tires and carry chains with AWD. Not sure what tire I will go with. No clearance for chains on the Outback.
Decisions, decisions :)
I've seen Subarus with cables mounted and driven at Mammoth

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Picked her up last night - Outback Touring.

Vehicles are quite complex these days - I will be sitting down with the manual and a glass+ of wine soon!

Thank me later.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier

Thank me later.
Yeah, the verdict is still out on that feature. Given I got the poky engine to save on mpg, I am going to try and keep the feature on!

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Saw this and thought it kind of fit in this thread. So many good vehicles in this class but it is kind of like throw a dart. So many styles to choose from.

View attachment 185119
Funny thing is there really isn’t if you want space and good gas mileage and don’t want to drop $60K+. Toyota Highlander Hybrid, in normal times, has little competition based on those criteria. I feel like my top wants narrowed the field considerably. Refusing to pay a ridiculous price landed me in the Outback.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Clarification on the widget I posted above. It doesn't disable the start/stop feature. It disables Subaru's factory default that always resets the start/stop feature to on every time you start the car. With the widget installed the start/stop stays the way you set it, on or off, when you start the car. So in the boonies you can leave it off, and in traffic you can turn it on.

Sponsor