• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicorn Search: mid-sized 4WD/AWD New England vehicle with decent gas mileage

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Absolutely wild that a brand new vehicle may well be the best value you can buy right now, even at MSRP.
If you qualify for any manufacturer discounts, buy new and use them. I got my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe for 5% below invoice using a manufacturer code. After accounting for all the fees, incentives, discounts, sales tax, and tax credits I should be looking at $48k vs a $63k sticker. I am very pleased.

Reactions: nay

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
GM truck transmissions have been crap for so long it’s unreal. I’m largely of the view that any time a manufacturer starts getting into top 5ish production volume range you just get into scale issues. VW has hit this wall for what, forever? Subaru now as well as they’ve grown so rapidly.

VW‘s best selling vehicle is the Atlas and it’s #3 on that list. We’re seeing projections that 2022 is going to be even worse from a supply capacity than 2021. Really the best thing to do right now if you can is wait, especially given near new CPO buys are as expensive or more than paying near invoice was 2 years ago. You get 30K+ miles for literally zero savings.

Absolutely wild that a brand new vehicle may well be the best value you can buy right now, even at MSRP.

I priced my 2020 Tundra on cars.com, and comparables are going for $7K-$10K more than I paid. It's just shocking.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would hardly call the Tiguan motor "gutless". Maybe in comparison to an Audi R3. Do you own a Tiguan? I'm wondering why you keep knocking on this car
I have owned a Tiguan, with a proper GTI engine.

Why I keep knocking on the car... it's in no comparison to a Highlander that the OP owns in size, even though you claim that a queen bed/platform (that is 60" x 80") fits in a car whose widest interior measurements are 58" x 75".

VW when they designed the Budack engine, purposely made it restricted, including the turbo. Forget about putting a larger turbo on it from its VW staplemates, unless you want to buy a new engine, since it can't handle more than just a ECU remap. I know people put a bigger turbo on it, and got rewarded by engine failure.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apparently you are not fully reading my posts, do you even have a clue what a select comfort bed is? It's not a normal mattress.

Not everyone needs to have GTI performance. The engine is a good match for what 95% of the people that buy one want it for...a good handling SUV with lot's of interior room in a relatively compact vehicle. Compared to the OP's current car, it fills the bill nicely, despite your opinion to the contrary. No, it's not a performance car, so stop comparing it to one. Can I assume your Tiguan was pre-2018? No comparison to the current one.

This will be my last reply to you...how about we let the OP decide for herself?

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
on our recent trips to/from NC, the Tiguan averaged 32 mpg
IMO the room is nearly the same unless that cooler is ginormous....
That is excellent mileage with your Tiguan, you mentioned you have the SE, but with that sort of mileage I expect you have the FWD version. According to this comparison, the Tiguan 4MOTION gets similar gas mileage to my Highlander; I cannot see downsizing without a notable mileage perk.

The cooler is sizable - approx. 31" long, and it is usually fairly full. If I downsize the vehicle, I may need to downsize my cooler and tweak that process too.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a terrible year to try to find a new car to buy. Can you wait a year or so?

I like the Toyota hybrids a lot. The Highlander or Rav4 hybrids are great choices. Maybe the Hyundai/Kia twins...I'm not up to date on the models, but I trust the quality. I don't trust VW...my last Passat seized the engine for no apparent reason.

My 2016 Mazda CX-9 has been great, but not the kind of gas mileage you want...26 highway at the best. CX-5 is really nice, but smaller than the Highlander. We have a Toyota Prius Prime...plug in hybrid compact car. Its oversized battery gives us about 30 miles on electric travel before the gas engine starts. If you can find something like that in an SUV, give it a good look.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If @lisamamot wants to get 150k miles out of the next vehicle, like she did with the Highlander, then I say stick with a Japanese car maker.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If @lisamamot wants to get 150k miles out of the next vehicle, like she did with the Highlander, then I say stick with a Japanese car maker.

I’m at 204k miles on my 2012 Hyundai right now, with no major issues whatsoever for the life of the car still *knocks on wood*. My significant other had a hyundai Santa Fe that went close to 200k as well, but then started needing a lot of pricey suspension work so he moved on. My only point being, Hyundai has incredible longevity and an unbeatable warrant/maintenance costs along the way imo. That being said, I am also obviously trying to decide what my next car will be and do have the Toyota Rav4 Prime on my radar. I do plan to test drive the Hyundai/Kia models of SUVs too though. Going from the Hyundai warranty to Toyota’s (and others) is not very appealing. Even though I haven’t needed anything much on this particular car.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
This is a terrible year to try to find a new car to buy. Can you wait a year or so?
I completely agree. Plan was to wait another year; current issues pointing to a widespread electrical issue with my car is worrisome. Doing due diligence now while we see if we are able to tweak things and keep her running!

I do. We keep our vehicles well maintained, and don’t feel the need to have the newest models. Some people trade every few years whereas we tend to keep them for 6+. In a couple months my Highlander hits 7 years of ownership (Dec 2014). It is my first Toyota and after hearing so many people say they have 200K+ miles on theirs, I was looking forward to hitting that milestone! Other than a couple quirky things, it really has been a drive it and forget about it vehicle.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is excellent mileage with your Tiguan, you mentioned you have the SE, but with that sort of mileage I expect you have the FWD version. According to this comparison, the Tiguan 4MOTION gets similar gas mileage to my Highlander; I cannot see downsizing without a notable mileage perk.

The cooler is sizable - approx. 31" long, and it is usually fairly full. If I downsize the vehicle, I may need to downsize my cooler and tweak that process too.
Nope, mine is a 4motion. And you would have no problem fitting a 31" cooler in the back with the rear seats up (I measured). We've had very good luck with our VWs. We had a 2009 Rabbit that when my daughter sold it had almost 250k miles and it was still going strong. The 2014 TDI my wife had before she traded for the Alltrack was around 80K and just getting broken in. The Alltrack has 40k, my Tiguan just over 20K, both with zero issues. We are lucky that we have a very good dealership to service them. And we make sure we maintain them according to the factory schedule (for example, we just had the oil in the Haldex in the Alltrack changed, and the DSG service is coming up).

Oh, and BTW, I paid under $30k for mine, new.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I suspect that we’ll keep seeing people “advocating” for those vehicles that they have owned and had good experience with. That simple. And perhaps speaking against others for a bunch of reasons….some first hand, some hearsay. “I heard…..I read…..”

My personal thinking is that the nation of origin of the parent company is rarely a factor for these types of cars. For example the original, totally bombproof Highlander was built in Japan. The most bombproof vehicle that they make is still built in Japan. The newer Highlanders and Sequioas, and many others are built in Indiana. Same state that turns out a lot of the Subies to be sold in the USA. Check out what Subie models are still Japanese built. It’s interesting. They get a lot of love. Forester, Crosstrek, Imprezza, WRX, STI. I think that’s right.

KIA’s, a Korean company, are mostly built in Georgia. That German VW? Probably in Mexico. BMW’s biggest plant, worldwide, is in South Carolina.

When Acura launched it was all in Japan. Now, Ohio. Honda? I think they have six US plants and two in Mexico for cars to be sold in the USA.

Are “Japanese” cars Japan designed? Are the plants? Yes, I’d say for the most part. Sure.

But when we see “older”, say Toyota, cars and trucks still going strong, built in Japan, i don’t think you can jump to assumptions on the new cars.

Perhaps the most reliable vehicle that we ever owned was my daughter’s first 2002 Outback, H-6 w/VDC. Of course, it was nearly a $40K car new. Built in Indiana. The worst, most needly and costly, was a 2008 Outback XT. Again, their most expensive Outback. Built in that plant.

We have had great luck with recent VW’s. We have has great and horrible luck with other VW’s. A W8 Passat wagon and an early Toureag were great….when they ran. The W8 was legendary bad. The total repairs under the 100K mile warranty exceeded what I paid for the car, new!

So, I almost take that out of the equation. It all depends on the particular car. Close friends are CO based Subie family. They, among others, have two 2016 Outbacks. Bought the same day, same dealership. Same relative mileage, similar drivers, same dealer service. They joke that one is the best car ever, the other, the worst. Who knew?

Terrible time to buy a car. Dealers are just HOSING customers on any cars that have great reviews and large demand. Using all sorts of VERY LAME excuses and funky language for “onerous markup.”

Local KIA dealer is apparently fully on board on SUV’s, which consistently are killing the ratings. All sorts of markups.

I would NOT jump to the conclusion that the bullet proof older car directly translates to a future experience.

True Story. Around 1990, I had a coworker, really great, really smart woman who paid no attention to cars. She had an older, early generation Camry. She started to date her now husband, who IS a car guy. Shortly after things got serious, I was running our weekly staff meeting, and got word that she would be 15 minutes late. Car service. OK.

So she arrives and after the meeting, she apologizes to me {no need} and says they had some questions.

When she explained, I decided that I HAD to go with her to pick it up. Which BTW took two full days.

She bought it new. Went back to the dealer to get the break-in oil changed, and then again for her first oil change. Evidently she waited, and it took a lot longer than she felt it should. SO……she never took it back. Not once. Never.

She cruises into the dealership with something like 110K miles on it. Service writer pulls it up and gets the story.
Nothing….she did get brake pads at a tire store, when getting new tires. Because of noise

So original everthing. They ask if she has added oil. Nope? No warnings, no lights. I start it and if runs. Seems fine, right?

They dropped the oil pan, it had about and inch of sludge on it. Changed the plugs, filters, belts…..and took a lot of pictures. To “sell” that you could neglect it, with almost no consequences.

Not sure if a new one could take it? Maybe.

I am big on KIA. Not in this market. It’s NUTS, like so much else.

I bought two $100 sheets of birch plywood yesterday. Yikes. Up, up, up. Did they have cheaper ply? Yep. Looked sort of like bad cardboard.

Agree, BTW , with Phil. Seems like almost any new car should be fine for 150K, maybe 200K miles….IF you take care of it.

I think the days of generalizations about “German” and “Japanese” cars may be behind us. Sort of clouds things up for me.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My last three Dodge/Ram trucks have been built in Saltillo, Mexico. Our Passat was built in Tennessee. Our 2003 Ford Expedition was built in Michigan, I think. It's working on 200K and has had a head gasket leak for the last 10 years. Luckily the oil is coming out, not going in. Just keep adding and changing the filter occasionally.:geek:

Just because it's a Japanese, German, American, or wherever else brand doesn't mean that's where it comes from. And certainly not with all parts originating from that country.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Nope, mine is a 4motion.
You are getting mileage that far exceeds the published range which is 24 combined and tops out at 27 for highway. Curious that you hit over 30.
Oh, and BTW, I paid under $30k for mine, new.
Yeah, not going to happen for me for a couple of reasons. 1) supply and demand and 2) not to be a princess, but I really want a heated steering. I have never had one and at 56, living in New England, and having Raynaud’s, it is time!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And people complained about Volkls and K2's being built in China. We are in a global market. I have said this more than once. American and European cars are much more reliable than they used to be and Asian cars aren't as bulletproof as they once were, they have all leveled out.
Perhaps the most reliable vehicle that we ever owned was my daughter’s first 2002 Outback, H-6 w/VDC. Of course, it was nearly a $40K car new. Built in Indiana. The worst, most needly and costly, was a 2008 Outback XT. Again, their most expensive Outback. Built in that plant.
I remember when that plant opened. We were still getting "J" cars in and you could do a walk around and visually see fit and finish differences in year oen and two, that changed very quickly.

Our 2008 Yukon with almost 200K on it, never left us standed. The 2018 has already had two no start issue. My "unreliable" 2010 VW had only one glow plug go bad tht was out of warranty. The 2017 Alltrack does eat bulbs like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet though. ;)

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Ha. I know someone who loves their car basically just for that feature. With that and the heated seat, they could care less about any performance feature of the vehicle.
Yup, as long as it isn’t pathetic, I don’t care about 0-60 ratings, I do not want a car to drive for me so many assist features are not a want, and I don’t give a rats a$$ about a stereo upgrade, but a car has me when “heated” precedes seats and steering wheel, lol.