• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicorn Search: mid-sized 4WD/AWD New England vehicle with decent gas mileage

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Not for driving in variable conditions or on a curvy road. It's pretty much useless in that situation.
That is what I keep saying - while I understand a locking differential is better in certain circumstances, the majority of my driving is on curvy back roads in New England.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That is what I keep saying - while I understand a locking differential is better in certain circumstances, the majority of my driving is on curvy back roads in New England.
I'm on my second GM truck and "4wd auto" is all I use. I have never used the 4 HI and I think I've used the 4 LO twice.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To get a modern 4WD/AWD system in a pickup usually requires going to high trim level($$$), if it's available at all, otherwise you're stuck with the old school locked differential 4WD.

Not for driving in variable conditions or on a curvy road. It's pretty much useless in that situation.

I'm on my second GM truck and "4wd auto" is all I use. I have never used the 4 HI and I think I've used the 4 LO twice.

hmm, got to disagree here. My f150 has auto as well but when it is snow I use the 4H, it not only splits the torque front/ rear better it also gives better braking i find. once you are moving at any sort of speed there is no issue, only time it is a problem is low speed manoevering.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
hmm, got to disagree here. My f150 has auto as well but when it is snow I use the 4H, it not only splits the torque front/ rear better it also gives better braking i find. once you are moving at any sort of speed there is no issue, only time it is a problem is low speed manoevering.I find a locked diff causes too much understeer. I much prefer the rear wheel bias of the 4auto and find it sends just enough to the front wheels to keep moving and on track. I can also turn it on when the snow starts to all and forget about it. I've never driven a Ford with it so I can't comment on your particular.
I find a locked differential causes too much understeer and can either help or hinder braking depending on the situation. I much prefer the rear bias of the 4auto and find it sends just enough power to the front wheels to keep you moving and on track. I also like to be able to set it and forget it when the snow starts to fall.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I find a locked differential causes too much understeer and can either help or hinder braking depending on the situation. I much prefer the rear bias of the 4auto and find it sends just enough power to the front wheels to keep you moving and on track. I also like to be able to set it and forget it when the snow starts to fall.
must be cause you are driving a Chevvy!! :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin: I find the locked center diff makes it feel much more direct and planted. When I am driving in snow, the last thing I want is the power level to the front wheels varying all the time.

James

Out There
Instructor
New Bronco big enough? Not exactly elegant, but it’s kind of what the Land Rover Defender replacement wanted to be.
7510635E-A51E-42B2-A72C-5036FFB8BAE5.jpeg

Second this option. I have the Limited Hybrid.
View attachment 142698
What’s the box on top, and what length ski will it fit?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
must be cause you are driving a Chevvy!! :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin: I find the locked center diff makes it feel much more direct and planted. When I am driving in snow, the last thing I want is the power level to the front wheels varying all the time.
Yeah, Chevy has been doing the Auto4wd for a long time so I'm sure they have better sorted than Ford. ;)
I have been having this same argument for decades since I got my first AWD Subaru. I get some people prefer the locked diff but you're not going to convince me it's better for the vast majority of winter driving where the road conditions are constantly changing.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
You already have a Skida hat...seems like an Outback with a roofbox would complete the NE look ogsmile Seriously, there is a reason why everybody in VT drives Subarus.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I prefer it in those conditions. Vehicle stays in two-wheel (one wheel if open diff?ogwink) drive mode until it is slippery all the time then into 4WD AT MY CONTROL and stays there until I decide it's time to turn it off.

Speaking of open diffs, I once had a '65 Ford Custom sedan with a slightly siezed crown gear. It was almost like having the rear (and only - it was RWD) differential locked. The back end would be loose on anything as slippery as a gravel road or any surface that was more slippery, e.g. a snow covered road. It was great fun and no problem for the driver; the passengers didn't like it much (except for my wife who soon got used to it).

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I prefer it in those conditions. Vehicle stays in two-wheel (one wheel if open diff?ogwink) drive mode until it is slippery all the time then into 4WD AT MY CONTROL and stays there until I decide it's time to turn it off.

Speaking of open diffs, I once had a '65 Ford Custom sedan with a slightly siezed crown gear. It was almost like having the rear (and only - it was RWD) differential locked. The back end would be loose on anything as slippery as a gravel road or any surface that was more slippery, e.g. a snow covered road. It was great fun and no problem for the driver; the passengers didn't like it much (except for my wife who soon got used to it).
I already know you like antiquated gear. :P

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Oh I admitted that decades ago. A slush bucket will beat this gear jammer in a 1/4 mile, but I still want the manual. Maybe these modern automatic AWDs have reached the level of formula one traction control. Maybe I would do better with the computer doing the driving and balancing the torque, loading and tire forces; I haven't had a chance to try one for a few years. A few years ago, they were pretty unimpressive, and would not have lowered my time through a twisty winter road.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
New Bronco big enough? Not exactly elegant, but it’s kind of what the Land Rover Defender replacement wanted to be.
Oh my, yes, absolutely big enough, lol. I expect the cool factor would more than cover the lack of elegance as well. That is #1 on my husband's list for me - he would be delighted if I agreed it was the one. That said, supply is a definite issue.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Have you considered a smaller 4 door pickup with a cap? The smaller trucks with diesel options get in the high 20s/low 3s on the highway. Even the F150/Ram 1500 diesels get decent mileage. @ScotsSkier has one of the F150s.
I realize the OP says she wants "slightly more elegant" vehicle than a truck. But I wanted to point out a problem with trucks is they are not very efficient in use of space. A Jeep Gladiator with a 5 ft bed is 218" or over 18 ft long. Compare that to a first edition Honda Pilot (like mine that is approaching 275K miles and I am considering driving from CA to CO this winter) is 188" long (4" under 16 ft). The 2021 Honda Pilot is 8 1/2" longer at 196.5" (16' 4.5"). The shortest current full-size F150 is a 2-door (without extended cab) and 6.5' bed at 209" (almost 17.5 ft). The shortest four-door F150 with 5.5' bed is 231.7" (or 19.3 ft long). And as in a few of the vehicle discussions here, without a box, where do you put your 180-188 cm skis?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I realize the OP says she wants "slightly more elegant" vehicle than a truck. But I wanted to point out a problem with trucks is they are not very efficient in use of space. A Jeep Gladiator with a 5 ft bed is 218" or over 18 ft long. Compare that to a first edition Honda Pilot (like mine that is approaching 275K miles and I am considering driving from CA to CO this winter) is 188" long (4" under 16 ft). The 2021 Honda Pilot is 8 1/2" longer at 196.5" (16' 4.5"). The shortest current full-size F150 is a 2-door (without extended cab) and 6.5' bed at 209" (almost 17.5 ft). The shortest four-door F150 with 5.5' bed is 231.7" (or 19.3 ft long). And as in a few of the vehicle discussions here, without a box, where do you put your 180-188 cm skis?
My "what is big, what is small" is skewed. My truck is 261" long. Everything else is small. :geek:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
My "what is big, what is small" is skewed. My truck is 261" long. Everything else is small. :geek:
Haha, it's all about what works for you. I'll probably get another Outback because it's as short as I can get while still having enough roof length for a box. I park on the street at home and at work, so overall length matters a lot to me. But that's me and what I need, and not anyone else.

Sponsor