• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Universal Ski Wax Recommendations

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
Well, since I last bought ski wax a few years ago, it seems that there has been a bit of a Fluoropocalypse, and a certain home grown manufacturer of ski wax stopped producing waxes I used to buy, including non-fluoro variants.

Among the remaining manufacturers, any differences or recommendations in the universal wax side of things? Any Universal Fluoro waxes available anymore at reasonable prices for wet conditions?

I was eyeing up the 1lb block of demon wax for $25 after almost going through a 180gm block in the last 2 weeks.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
after almost going through a 180gm block in the last 2 weeks.

Wait - you used a 180g block - like one of the Swix tub blocks - in 2 weeks? On how many skis?

Purl has been pretty decent at the price point of $25.

:thumb:We have enough manmade that their blue microcrystalline is close enough to universal for us.

Last edited:
TS
Spring1898

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
Started reading into the whole ban, sounds like a mess with different stories from different sides. But at the end of the day it sounds like it put a lot of homegrown makers out of business

Was thinking about picking up some of the last of Hertels since it looks like he is closing shop too.

I have about 2-3 waxes left out of the bar after around 12-15 pairs of skis)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Started reading into the whole ban, sounds like a mess with different stories from different sides. But at the end of the day it sounds like it put a lot of homegrown makers out of business

You're on the west coast?

The problem is that most of the actually-functional replacements for fluoro are coming in at $1/gram consumer pricing - and homegrown makers don't have enough market trust to sell at those prices.

TS
Spring1898

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
And that is exactly why I said it sounds like a mess. Not saying fluoro isn't bad for the environment, but going after ski wax as a major source of it seems like a type of industry monopolization seen in other fields. How many people actually use wax, of those how many actually use fluoro, and of those how many actually use it regularly?

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry to hear that Hertels might be getting out of the game.

We usually start the season with Purl purple ironed on, then as the weather permits crayon on the blue.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And that is exactly why I said it sounds like a mess. Not saying fluoro isn't bad for the environment, but going after ski wax as a major source of it seems like a type of industry monopolization seen in other fields. How many people actually use wax, of those how many actually use fluoro, and of those how many actually use it regularly?

I completely agree with you - if they wanted to actually do something for the environment they'd go after firefighting foams, carpet anti-stain treatments , fabric finishes and electrical insulator oils.

But, nooooo, let's beat on the small money players whose actual compounds aren't the proven bad ones, because they sound the same in popular misusage, and because we can use words like 'toxic' when we don't have to actually demonstrate harm.

TS
Spring1898

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
Exactly, I think I will pick up some of the last of his stock. Should be a good wax for those around me who aren't interested in speed. By the time I run out of that we will see if there are any homegrowns still standing. Sounds like Purl is still going well, they have the young/hip crowd going for them to secure their future marketshare. They definitely have the "toxic" fluoro thing down.

The last of my HF wax will be treated like gold.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought Purl is going out of business too, I'm glad I'm wrong. I can't think of any homegrown wax maker other than Purl at this point. Anyone?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear that Hertels might be getting out of the game.

We usually start the season with Purl purple ironed on, then as the weather permits crayon on the blue.
He announced last year he was done making wax. Retirement.

TS
Spring1898

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
I don't know that he would want to sell his business. He started it, incorporated fluoros and other chemistry, and then the EPA/Industry came down hard. His only choice at this time is to sell a product that is no longer what he wanted it to be, or give his proprietary formulas to someone else (minus the fluoros).

I wish he would allow someone else to take over, but can't blame him if he doesn't want to.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know that he would want to sell his business. He started it, incorporated fluoros and other chemistry, and then the EPA/Industry came down hard. His only choice at this time is to sell a product that is no longer what he wanted it to be, or give his proprietary formulas to someone else (minus the fluoros).

I wish he would allow someone else to take over, but can't blame him if he doesn't want to.

In his emails he literally asked for interested parties to contact him to buy it as a turn-key business.
So he certainly wants to.

TS
Spring1898

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
Seems like a great opportunity then. Don't imagine it would be terribly difficult to move the business somewhere else either, all the stuff can't be more than a truckload.
Wish someone would

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Had plenty of success with the Toko Universal wax. It's rated 0°C ~ -30°C, but for my recreational skis it's more than enough glide for powder and groomers on my Rossignol Sender Ti's.

Recommended iron temp is 130°C and comes off relatively easily like a softer wax.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I don't understand. Are you implying it was rare to use fluorinated waxes? If so, then then what's the big deal with the ban?

In any case, in nordic skiing, I used fluorinated waxes all the time, probably every third time I went skiing. Maybe more often.

Lastly, in lift-served skiing, if you were using the same universal wax years I don't think the performance hit of non-fluorinated waxes is that big a deal. Just get a big block of whatever and carry on.