• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks everyone.

I ended up buying a pair of universal rubber/plastic "chains" . So far we have been lucky not to need have to make use of them (ended-up with a AWD car on our last two ski trips).
61JvOOzHUtL._SX522_.jpg

61ZMvAOlSEL.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If your rental has standard wheels with hubcaps instead of alloy wheels would those still work... with rims that look like this under the hub caps??

rnb-939-148_iy_xl.jpg

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
If your rental has standard wheels with hubcaps instead of alloy wheels would those still work... with rims that look like this under the hub caps??

rnb-939-148_iy_xl.jpg

I think they would work.

But, I have yet to see those hubcaps on a rental car after dozens and dozens of rentals.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
All wheel drive is little help cornering and no help at all braking. You need tires that grip the snow or ice. Some new all-season tires are OK sometimes. Sometimes you need real steel chains or cables or real winter tires to grip the surface safely.

Yesterday I drove the Coquihalla Pass with my AWD car and Blizzak snow tires. The conditions were terrible. Snow base roads and poor visibility. Trucks were stopped by the authorities. I did fine, 50 or 60 mph most of the way, as slow as needed when the visibility was poor. A friend with all-season tires was digging himself out of a snow bank. Yep, that's the "Highway From Hell" on the TV show about the tow truck drivers.

Thanks everyone.

I ended up buying a pair of universal rubber/plastic "chains" . So far we have been lucky not to need have to make use of them (ended-up with a AWD car on our last two ski trips).

Sponsor

Staff online