• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

unwaxing on the snow

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didnt have time recently to scrape/brush a pair of skis for a buddy lending them since I've been moving and skishop is in.. pieces, so I said yes you can try, but beware they will probably have horrible glide.

but.. they did not I was surprised that even after the first run, they were clean and I couldnt feel any wax residue (ps8)

so lazy me is thinking.. is this a viable solution for softer waxes? I always store skis with ps8, and since I have a lot of skis, not having to scrape would be rather nice.

input please. and yes, not thinking for race skis here.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done it, early season with storage wax (CH/UR 10) on rec skies and it works fine especially with the aggressive manmade snow that's typical during that period. However, a quick scrape and pass with a roto brush takes so little time, it's hardly worth being extra lazy-you can even do that without vises.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I admit that I do this sometimes. I had almost no wax left to brush off after a day on soft snow and 2 days on rock hard snow and ice.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've done it, early season with storage wax (CH/UR 10) on rec skies and it works fine especially with the aggressive manmade snow that's typical during that period. However, a quick scrape and pass with a roto brush takes so little time, it's hardly worth being extra lazy-you can even do that without vises.
it does, but my skishop is... under construction, and I have sooo many skis I'd like to try out, with storage wax

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It's not ideal but it's fine in some cases. At least take a quick swipe to clear the edges.

• Laps on cold manmade snow, or hardened spring corn = no problem
  • Deep dry powder = no problem
  • Wet not-yet-fully-corned snow, or new snow with some sun hitting it during the day = maybe a problem, maybe a big problem
  • Touring skis you will stick skins onto = don't do it
As you say, softer waxes are less of a problem.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've run the scraper just once or twice before. I mean, I'm a low advanced skier, I only really noticed in the lift line... :huh:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One of our best shop rats here @Doug Briggs and I'm not shy to use THE EDGE OF YOUR OTHER SKI to scrape off wax in a pinch.:eek:

I usually wax everything but don't scrape until I decide I'm ready to ski that ski.. so all wax is storage wax in my ski storage locations. Generally though, it's only sketchy, hard to get an edge, for the first run or two then fine. But if it's freaking warm weather wax on a super cold day I'll do whatever I have to do to scrape it off on the mountain.. I have a scraper in the boot bag. But if that's a half mile away in the parking lot.. the other ski will do.. Or ask nicely at the rental shop to borrow a scraper. I've never had them say no when there isn't one at THE public tuning tools bench of shame..

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Try this next time you’re out. Get up to 45 mph on a hard, icy groomer. Take off one glove and put your hand on the snow. Now, without loosing speed, try to transfer as much weight as possible onto your hand. At this point you’ll be wondering why you bothered with the horse hair brush in the morning.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
One of our best shop rats here @Doug Briggs and I'm not shy to use THE EDGE OF YOUR OTHER SKI to scrape off wax in a pinch.:eek:

Please don't do that, just go skiing with your unscraped skis

I usually wax everything but don't scrape until I decide I'm ready to ski that ski.. so all wax is storage wax in my ski storage locations.

I scrape and brush even for storage, not because of storage, but because when it snows again and I want to grab a ski, it is ready.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Try this next time you’re out. Get up to 45 mph on a hard, icy groomer. Take off one glove and put your hand on the snow. Now, without loosing speed, try to transfer as much weight as possible onto your hand. At this point you’ll be wondering why you bothered with the horse hair brush in the morning.
There is not the option to 'like' and also 'haha', so I chose 'haha', but I also 'like'.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
First time waxing my skis the guy advising proceedings said he didn't bother scrapping off. It's first time, right, so those skis are extra double coated in wax - nothing exceeds like excess.

Next day was a powder day. Those skis went nowhere. Hard to make forward progress on even a blue run.

Luckily there was a shop at base who kindly lent a scrapper and didn't mind the mess.

Moral of the story: if you want a pow day leave the skis un-scrapped.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I usually wax everything but don't scrape until I decide I'm ready to ski that ski.. so all wax is storage wax in my ski storage locations. Generally though, it's only sketchy, hard to get an edge, for the first run or two then fine. But if it's freaking warm weather wax on a super cold day I'll do whatever I have to do to scrape it off on the mountain.. I have a scraper in the boot bag. But if that's a half mile away in the parking lot.. the other ski will do.. Or ask nicely at the rental shop to borrow a scraper. I've never had them say no when there isn't one at THE public tuning tools bench of shame..

I scrape and brush even for storage, not because of storage, but because when it snows again and I want to grab a ski, it is ready.

I have used a ski edge to scrape wax off bases, also to cut off bits of p-tex that are dragging after a rock hit. I've even done it (well Marty did under my instruction) to get ice off climbing skins.

1673907146242.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We spend good money on flat bases. Why ski on thick, lumpy wax? I've seen how long it takes to come off. It may be instant on the ice coast, but not out here in CO. They invented scrapers for a reason. Not to mention brushes. Oh, I just mentioned them.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can always hit the previously waxed bases / storage wax with a sheet of fiberlene and an iron the night before. It will soak up the excess wax and leave a thinner / smooth wax finish. Should the temps turn cold you would then add the appropriate Toko or Swix spray / liquid wax. Apply the morning of skiing and buff if you like lightly with a soft nylon brush. Easy and works a treat. I have been doing this on training skis the last couple of seasons. No extra scraping / heavy brushing and no slow skis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I do ski unscraped skis.. more often than not.. forget a lot.

However.. If it's WARM wax on a sub zero degree day it's UNSKIABLE.. The snow freezes to the bases. 45+ years tuning my own skis. Also @Doug Briggs is one of the most respected tuning professionals here. Desperate times call for desperate measures.. That kind of warm wax on a sub zero day oops is either scrape it there or walk back down..

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wax and ski all the time. Occasionally, I will scrape and brush, but that is rare. Sure you can feel a less than perfect finish the first run or two, but that is seldom noticeable and never limits my enjoyment.

Sponsor

Staff online