• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier

Looks great! We're supposed to have a weak clipper move through tomorrow as well.

We hit up Buck Hill this morning for the first time in years (since we have a couple days with the Indy Pass). Snow was in great shape. Not too busy, and mask compliance was night and day compared to Trollhaugen.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Johnathan Buckhouse is doing a tour in Wisconsin and posting his videos on youtube. Basically promoting the smaller hills and giving his reviews. Considering it is early in the snow season, he his having a great time.

When he came to my local hill.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
That FB page for "Skiers and Snowboarders of the Midwest" is turning out to be quite the cesspool. Some good reading early on and now it's a joke of typical FB. Middle aged white people posting pictures of alcohol or their kids or tossing out insults because something didn't go their way.

On a separate note, this winter sucks!!!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That FB page for "Skiers and Snowboarders of the Midwest" is turning out to be quite the cesspool. Some good reading early on and now it's a joke of typical FB. Middle aged white people posting pictures of alcohol or their kids or tossing out insults because something didn't go their way.

On a separate note, this winter sucks!!!
But of course.:)

"Ski the Midwest Group" page seems to be a little better.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like we should get 3-4" today in MN. Tomorrow should be a good day to ski. We're hitting Trollhaugen tomorrow for 1 of our indy pass days. Then maybe night skiing at Wild Mountain or Welch on Friday.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just picked up my son's Navigator 85's from Pinewski's ski shop and we're officially ready to ski tomorrow!

Sounds like we're only getting 2-4" of snow now instead of 3-5"

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just picked up my son's Navigator 85's from Pinewski's ski shop and we're officially ready to ski tomorrow!

Sounds like we're only getting 2-4" of snow now instead of 3-5"
Don't worry, a week ago this same storm was showing possibility of 12-20".

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
New member saying howdy to the upper Midwest contingent. My son and I have managed to get out a couple times so far this season, both times at Afton in MN. First trip was on the 23rd during the rain storm. Unlucky roll of the dice with the reservation on that one. Poor kid was soaked but smiling. Dad had a bad case of gore-tex guilt that day. Second outing was a proper do over. See you on the hills.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
We skied Lutsen this past Wednesday—they reported 4” overnight. The skiing was essentially the best MN has to offer. If only it wasn’t such a drive. Single day tix were $92.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We skied Lutsen this past Wednesday—they reported 4” overnight. The skiing was essentially the best MN has to offer. If only it wasn’t such a drive. Single day tix were $92.

Good God they've upped their prices by nearly $10. This Indy pass is looking like a better and better deal.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Trollhaugen on Wednesday. They were 'sold out' once again that day. Lift lines were manageable though with only about a 3 minutes wait. They did start up the old double chair once things got busy which was nice.

The skiing was very nice overall. They got about 3" of fresh snow the night before which always helps. They had every run open except 'Logan's Run' under the quad which looked like they just needed to push out the piles to get it open. Storbakken had some nice loose snow and was probably our favorite run to ski that day. By the time we left around 2:00pm the hill was getting skied out and icy spots were showing up.

We didn't dare set foot in the bar, but I talked to my buddy who's a bartender in there (he was snowboarding that day) and he said they've been insanely busy and the hill is not doing any crowd control at all in the bar aside from removing some of the tables. We went to Tippy Canoe's after we got done riding for some food which was nice. First time in a restaurant in a while.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Say, if any Michigan folks have interest in meeting up at Crystal, we got passes this year but the whole family is kinda not interested, so I'm looking for folks to share a chair with so I don't have to be "that guy" going up as a single.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
We went to Tippy Canoe's after we got done riding for some food which was nice.

Been a couple years, but we've stopped in there for dinner after Troll a few times. Nice spot.

--

I saw Buck, Troll, and Welch all hit capacity and stopped selling tickets for at least part of the day today. Hyland apparently sold out on rentals? Wow. I've seen Welch and Mt. Ski Gull noting that they've been sold out pretty regularly.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Indy is great as long as the blackout dates fit your schedule.

Agreed. It's really the perfect pass if you want to go up there and ski for 2 days on spring break. We skied Troll 1 day and already paid for ~20% of our pass.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I saw Buck, Troll, and Welch all hit capacity and stopped selling tickets for at least part of the day today. Hyland apparently sold out on rentals? Wow. I've seen Welch and Mt. Ski Gull noting that they've been sold out pretty regularly.

Troll has been selling out either their day tickets, or the night tickets every single day this week. I just checked and they are once again sold out today. I imagine things will really calm down after today however with school starting back up and people going back to work.

GS race league starts Tuesday though which should be perfect. I bet they won't be busy at all that night.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we have been skiing Spirit. This was a slow year to open runs, but Wednesday helped. We got some powder and crud, and even a few “off piste” turns.
Spirit has been pretty good. Lift lines not to bad, and good mask compliance. (With friendly staff reminders). Portapotties all over the hill too.

I was originally thinking of heading to Lutsen Wednesday, but neither the 4th grade pass, not our Indypasses, work during Christmas break, so stayed in Duluth.

We went to Mount du Lac Thursday. Not somewhere to come back this year.
Apparently they require masks in the lift line, but since this is neither signed, nor monitored by any staff, the result is 3 lines, with no separation, and only about 30% masked..
Then I had the (unmasked) guy behind me ask if he could ride the chair with me(FYI, it’s an old, narrow double).
They also had the bar/restaurant full of people. Apparently Wisconsin has not closed indoor dining?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently Wisconsin has not closed indoor dining?
Nope. We did early summer for a while, but open with some guidelines. But for the most part wide open.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Skied Welch, both days this weekend and it was fantastic. Great weather and the snow skied very well. Most of the trails held the snow very well throughout the morning and the front three (Chicken, Bakke and Twister) were in fine condition. Welch continues to blow snow and is in no rush to open the back area. Lines were manageable in the morning but we left around 12:30 both days as the congestion became burdensome (and was expected) around lunch (an advantage of having a pass.)

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Bilzzard ski school will not be at Welch this winter :golfclap: but Ski Jammers will be (link below to the calendar)....the model of group learning is under pressure this year with both Blizzard and Ski Jammers slow to start.

With the lodges closed that's a lot of kids sitting outside for lunch, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online