• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
U.P. is finally getting some LES. Hopefully a good trend.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
What are people skiing for a upper 80-low 90's ski in the midwest? Am looking for a new ski that likes to charge and can help me power and plow through the loose granular that builds on the side of the trails, holds on ice, firm tail with some energy, and can be worked in and out of the fall line (here in MN and the midwest we don't have a lot of vertical) Have a Stormrider 88, with the tartan print, that I use but find that the ski lacks the "pop" that I really like. I skied them this weekend and am done. It's an underwhelming ski and many a people here acknowledge that. I Have an old Kastle MX83 which is actually pretty solid for our conditions but feel like a MX88 may be more appropriate.

I own a Volkl Race Tiger, MX 74, MX 83, and the SR 88. Does anyone here ski the MX 88, FX series, or the "new" SR88 in the midwest? Have seen pictures of @Dwight with his Renoun's which is an intriguing brand (how do they work at the local in MI?), and am intrigued by the Augment line.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What are people skiing for a upper 80-low 90's ski in the midwest? Am looking for a new ski that likes to charge and can help me power and plow through the loose granular that builds on the side of the trails, holds on ice, firm tail with some energy, and can be worked in and out of the fall line (here in MN and the midwest we don't have a lot of vertical) Have a Stormrider 88, with the tartan print, that I use but find that the ski lacks the "pop" that I really like. I skied them this weekend and am done. It's an underwhelming ski and many a people here acknowledge that. I Have an old Kästle MX83 which is actually pretty solid for our conditions but feel like a MX88 may be more appropriate.

I own a Völkl Race Tiger, MX 74, MX 83, and the SR 88. Does anyone here ski the MX 88, FX series, or the "new" SR88 in the midwest? Have seen pictures of @Dwight with his Renoun's which is an intriguing brand (how do they work at the local in MI?), and am intrigued by the Augment line.
https://www.sierra.com/liberty-skis-v76-alpine-skis~p~872vx/?filterString=s~liberty/ $199

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO a 83-85 waist works well in the Midwest region. We just don't get enough snow to need anything wider than that. My son bought some Rustler 9's (92 wide) and doesn't use them all that often as he prefers to ski his new Atomic Redster racing skis much of the time.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
IMO a 83-85 waist works well in the Midwest region. We just don't get enough snow to need anything wider than that.

Could not agree more. This combined with the lack of vertical and hard/man made snow are the primary reasons why I ski sub-80 skis. Have to make those turns count here in MN!!!

@Dwight have you skied the MX88 in Wisconsin?

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm on MX88 in 189. When I ski these to the ground I'll buy the same ski again. My favorite skis I've ridden.

Great for whatever Midwest throws at you plus for out west as All Mountain for anything less than 4" fresh.

For the record I have wider skis but only bring these out for larger amounts of fresh snow. Don't like 100+ waist skis in Midwest on the usual groomed and ice. When I see people in wide skis around here I feel bad for their knees, pointless to have that extra side to side exertion on turns on hard snow.

MX88 have a pretty wide or long turn radius and aren't light. I can turn them quickly to some extent, but I like to ski fast and with my size they are super stable and just awesome to ride.

If you want skis for a lot of short turns, better for moguls, etc. Then I'd go 78 waist, possibly 83 but at that point 88 is more versatile than an 83.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Could not agree more. This combined with the lack of vertical and hard/man made snow are the primary reasons why I ski sub-80 skis. Have to make those turns count here in MN!!!

@Dwight have you skied the MX88 in Wisconsin?
I have not. I don't have Kastle available to me.

I'm primarily carver. That is why the Z-90s work so well for me. Now my son can ski anything and anywhere. He really likes the Endurance 98s. I'm thinking the Enduracne 88 would great too.

The Liberty ski works very well. Many also like the new Nordica 94. The Atomic VantageX in the 80s works very well too.

Last edited:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I'm on MX88 in 189. When I ski these to the ground I'll buy the same ski again. My favorite skis I've ridden.

possibly 83 but at that point 88 is more versatile than an 83.

Which is exactly why I'm considering a 85-88 in the 175 over the 83. I have the MX83, old version, at the moment I don't know what size, but I can whip those in and out of the fall line. While the radius on the 88 will be wider a good skier should be able to move any ski around.

@Beach Bum and @Dwight where are your local hill(s) and how much vertical do they have?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly I think a ski's weight and radius are more important that a 2-3mm width difference....

That being said I need to find out what my next pair of all mountain skis will be and what width to buy... :roflmao:

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I rip on RTM84s as my good go-to-groomer ski.

I have an older pair of SL Racetigers from my racing days and a pair of AC50s for screwing-around-beater-rock skis these days

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Granite Peak the past few days (Sun night and Monday), annual trip to use free days with a Chestnut season pass. I've left this same review the past few years so at least it's consistent.

Overall a fun trip to make (max once a year), like the spread of runs and the fast lifts, but the hill is always icy and it's really only 280 feet of vertical and not 700. We skied the midway loading lift most of it as the snow around Sundance thru Carver was the best. While the skiing can easily be beat at many places not too far from there (UP, etc), the ski base is better than most in the area (with bars, dining, etc) and Wausau is a great city.

What I don't get is why so many people flock there when any hill two hours north is far superior. Sure this is subjective and some people like the razzle dazzle of high speed lifts. But no comparison in terrain and especially snow quality. Same thing with Alpine Valley, it's like all the rage. I hated that place when I was 8 and then tried it again at like 18 and then tried it again at like 38 and some things don't change. It's terrible when you can do a place like Chestnut that has some of the best runs in the midwest (and scenery). rant over.

@wallyk - Chestnut is the place I go to most, from your earlier question. But big fan of trekking north to the UP just don't do it more than a week a year. Hoping to get a second trip in late Feb if winter ever starts. What about you?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight where are your local hill(s) and how much vertical do they have?

https://www.nordicmountain.com/trail-map 265ft or 500 in the U.P. I have learned over the years to make it fun. Hit anything that I can get air, but not too much. :) Short turn, long turns, or trenches. It is more about the people at the home site.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What I don't get is why so many people flock there when any hill two hours north is far superior
Marketing!!!! Plus location to people.

I've never been a big fan of GP. Skied it 4 times last year for HS ski club. I just don't get the 250 vertical in 200ft and then the rest in a 1/2 mile. :)
Now I have never skied during the day, so haven't tried the tree areas. I have friends that spend most of the time on the West side. I'm guessing this year though, not much snow in there.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Marketing!!!! Plus location to people.

I've never been a big fan of GP. Skied it 4 times last year for HS ski club. I just don't get the 250 vertical in 200ft and then the rest in a 1/2 mile. :)
Now I have never skied during the day, so haven't tried the tree areas. I have friends that spend most of the time on the West side. I'm guessing this year though, not much snow in there.

Yeah that side can be fun, the two diamonds furthest west are solid but are closed, I think the only area on the hill not yet open. But that main run under the chair over there is super icy.

After skiing Blackjack for first time this year I'll take their backside any day over GP's west side.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Thanks for the reply @Dwight and @Beach Bum.......I ski Welch Village which according to Mountain Vertical has 360ft drop :doh:.....much smaller that what I used to ski before being relocated to Minneapolis. I concur with @Dwight about making the most of the terrain and the area.

I asked about your home areas to help get a better idea about people that ski the MX88 or a wider ski in the midwest. Am accustomed to sub 80 skis but am looking for something different..put differently, am really looking for an excuse to buy something.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I asked about your home areas to help get a better idea about people that ski the MX88 or a wider ski in the midwest. Am accustomed to sub 80 skis but am looking for something different..put differently, am really looking for an excuse to buy something.
Umm, people don't know squat. :huh: You should see the patrol hallway at Nordic. You would think we were out West. I've been trying to get people on skinner skis to get better skills. It has worked for some.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
different..put differently, am really looking for an excuse to buy something.
[/QUOTE]
It sounds like the Crosson Dissenter 78 has your name on it!
I have wider skis, but for MN hills my Rossi Pursuit 700's at 73 underfoot and 15m turn radius are about perfect. The wider ones are more effort and not as much fun on short runs with hard snow. And they would also be the ones I would be on if skiing in CO this season.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
[/QUOTE]
It sounds like the Crosson Dissenter 78 has your name on it!
[/QUOTE]

No doubt!!! I already have 66, 74, 83, and 88 skis.....perfect balance for VT, MN and for "big" mountain skiing west of MN. I ski every weekend and am almost always on the Volkl Race Tiger SL or the MX83. I'm a carver and love working the whole ski and loading the tail to get the "pop" out of a turn. Few things better than a ski that releases with energy.

I really dislike the SR 88's, they are an easy ski with a huge sweet spot and perfect for skiing with kids but not very responsive. ( which is why Stockli made that version with the tartan print on the top skin for only one year, which of course was the year I bought the ski).

The Blossom Cross Wind, MX88, Augment and the Endurance 88 are all interesting products. I have no issues skiing a new product but feel comfortable demoing before I buy. B/c I have two Kastle skis the MX88 feels like an easy but safe selection. I enjoy hearing what others ski here in the mid west and what their thoughts are.

@Dwight @Beach Bum does the tail of the Renoun and the MX88 have solid energy out of the turn?

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
I bought some Nordica Navigator 85s this season to ski with the kid in MN. I'm about as intermediate a skier as it gets and absolutely not a charger so model wise likely no help, but man am I glad I went with an 85 width. I came really close to pulling the trigger on something around 100 with future annual trips out west in mind. But decided to get something more purpose built for midwest groomers and buy something wider for out west later on. I have a gear addiction across all of the past times I pursue....perfect # of bikes/fishing rods/etc. to own = current stable + 1. So perhaps it wasn't as hard a decision as I remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online