• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Raced at Troll last night. It was a complete disaster.

They had major timing issues that led to a 1 hour delay between the first and 2nd runs. My feet were nearly frostbit as it was 0 outside with some wind. By the time I ran my 2nd run I was as cold as I've been in a few years and just happy to get it over with. That never leads to good skiing.

They were blowing snow on several runs last night, which is good to see. I'm sure most southern MN hills are going to need to do so if they want to stay open through Spring Break, which is a major money maker for them.

I heard last night that both Wild Mountain and Trollhaugen just had the busiest Decembers in their histories, in terms of ticket sales, and that's with caps being put on the number per day they can sell. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been telling a few friends for weeks to watch out for an announcement from Boho that they are getting snowmaking.

You just can't risk losing a month of an already short peak ski season in the Midwest.

It seems like with every passing year they are opening up later and later into the winter. One of these years they may not open at all. I can see why they'd want to get a base down on a few of the 'main' runs to be able to guarantee people who've booked trips there some skiing to be had.

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
What are people skiing for a upper 80-low 90's ski in the midwest? Am looking for a new ski that likes to charge and can help me power and plow through the loose granular that builds on the side of the trails, holds on ice, firm tail with some energy, and can be worked in and out of the fall line (here in MN and the midwest we don't have a lot of vertical) Have a Stormrider 88, with the tartan print, that I use but find that the ski lacks the "pop" that I really like. I skied them this weekend and am done. It's an underwhelming ski and many a people here acknowledge that. I Have an old Kästle MX83 which is actually pretty solid for our conditions but feel like a MX88 may be more appropriate.

I own a Völkl Race Tiger, MX 74, MX 83, and the SR 88. Does anyone here ski the MX 88, FX series, or the "new" SR88 in the midwest? Have seen pictures of @Dwight with his Renoun's which is an intriguing brand (how do they work at the local in MI?), and am intrigued by the Augment line.
What are people skiing for a upper 80-low 90's ski in the midwest? Am looking for a new ski that likes to charge and can help me power and plow through the loose granular that builds on the side of the trails, holds on ice, firm tail with some energy, and can be worked in and out of the fall line (here in MN and the midwest we don't have a lot of vertical) Have a Stormrider 88, with the tartan print, that I use but find that the ski lacks the "pop" that I really like. I skied them this weekend and am done. It's an underwhelming ski and many a people here acknowledge that. I Have an old Kästle MX83 which is actually pretty solid for our conditions but feel like a MX88 may be more appropriate.

I own a Völkl Race Tiger, MX 74, MX 83, and the SR 88. Does anyone here ski the MX 88, FX series, or the "new" SR88 in the midwest? Have seen pictures of @Dwight with his Renoun's which is an intriguing brand (how do they work at the local in MI?), and am intrigued by the Augment line.
IMO a 83-85 waist works well in the Midwest region. We just don't get enough snow to need anything wider than that. My son bought some Rustler 9's (92 wide) and doesn't use them all that often as he prefers to ski his new Atomic Redster racing skis much of the time.
Could not agree more. This combined with the lack of vertical and hard/man made snow are the primary reasons why I ski sub-80 skis. Have to make those turns count here in MN!!!

@Dwight have you skied the MX88 in Wisconsin?
I'm on MX88 in 189. When I ski these to the ground I'll buy the same ski again. My favorite skis I've ridden.

Great for whatever Midwest throws at you plus for out west as All Mountain for anything less than 4" fresh.

For the record I have wider skis but only bring these out for larger amounts of fresh snow. Don't like 100+ waist skis in Midwest on the usual groomed and ice. When I see people in wide skis around here I feel bad for their knees, pointless to have that extra side to side exertion on turns on hard snow.

MX88 have a pretty wide or long turn radius and aren't light. I can turn them quickly to some extent, but I like to ski fast and with my size they are super stable and just awesome to ride.

If you want skis for a lot of short turns, better for moguls, etc. Then I'd go 78 waist, possibly 83 but at that point 88 is more versatile than an 83.
I have not. I don't have Kästle available to me.

I'm primarily carver. That is why the Z-90s work so well for me. Now my son can ski anything and anywhere. He really likes the Endurance 98s. I'm thinking the Enduracne 88 would great too.

The Liberty ski works very well. Many also like the new Nordica 94. The Atomic VantageX in the 80s works very well too.
Which is exactly why I'm considering a 85-88 in the 175 over the 83. I have the MX83, old version, at the moment I don't know what size, but I can whip those in and out of the fall line. While the radius on the 88 will be wider a good skier should be able to move any ski around.

@Beach Bum and @Dwight where are your local hill(s) and how much vertical do they have?

My local hill is Perfect North in Indiana, with only 400' vertical. I'm only in my 6th year of skiing, so don't know a lot of technical stuff about skis in general.

Three years ago I bought my first pair of skis, Salomon QST 85, and I think they made a great pair of first skis. This year I traded those in for a used pair of K2 Pinnacle 88s. I like them - they ski faster, easy to float over piles of soft snow, or bust through the crud and has good grip on the icy patches. I know they're wider than needed, but I liked the reviews I read about them, plus has a short turn radius for an 88" wide ski. Hoping I can take them out west next year for the groomers out there, and hope to hold on to them and maybe add a narrower pair next year.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Went out to Mt. Brighton last night.....you don't typically see an "inbounds" avalanche in the Midwest. Nevertheless, the backside slid sometime in the past week under the weight of the snowmaking slabs all the way down to the grass.

IMG_6001.jpg

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
I feel like I've seen talk of this before in situations where there has been significant snowmaking over warmer ground. I think the heat in the ground can slightly melt the snow from the bottom up and the weight of the snow on the wet grass below can lead to a slide...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel like I've seen talk of this before in situations where there has been significant snowmaking over warmer ground. I think the heat in the ground can slightly melt the snow from the bottom up and the weight of the snow on the wet grass below can lead to a slide...
Perfect North in Indiana had a similar one back in 2006...

1611356961621.png

MichBadger

Booting up
Skier
What are people skiing for a upper 80-low 90's ski in the midwest? Am looking for a new ski that likes to charge and can help me power and plow through the loose granular that builds on the side of the trails, holds on ice, firm tail with some energy, and can be worked in and out of the fall line (here in MN and the midwest we don't have a lot of vertical)

I skied last weekend on a new pair of the Nordica Enforcer 88's up at Nubs and Shanty Creek. I don't take the opportunity to demo skis like I have in years past so I can't give you much of a comparison. We had very hard snow both days to the point my family complained it was "icy". The Enforcers gripped everything I threw at them down the center of the runs with lots of energy off the tails. I normally spend my time on the sides and they handled the 2-3" of piled granular with no problems. I'm not sure I'll make it out west this year but excited to see how well they handle in the bumps. I'm not a "multiple skis in the quiver" guy so I was looking for an all mountain ski. So far, I think it was a good choice for me.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Potential for biggest snowfall of the year and possibly in two years in Chicago area on Monday. Chestnut and Sundown look to be in the picture now, initially models were south of them. Fingers crossed.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoping to ski in some fresh snow tomorrow with my daughter. Last chance before she goes back to college. The hills need the snow. They started making snow again this last week.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, 5" of new snow yesterday was a fun surprise. Took out the Renoun Endurance 98 and enjoyed a few hours with my daughter.

Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, looks like more is coming today for you.

1611586653808.png

1611586784964.png

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Headed up to Nubs tonight for a quick day tomorrow - coworker says the weekend was good skiing.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
@focker what are you hearing? Would be a nice improvement. Curious what "new" means. "New" as in brand new and never operated, or "new" as in an older model bought in the secondary market. Big difference.

Welch could use some "new" lifts to replace those ancient ones with no safety bars.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
@focker what are you hearing? Would be a nice improvement. Curious what "new" means. "New" as in brand new and never operated, or "new" as in an older model bought in the secondary market. Big difference.

Welch could use some "new" lifts to replace those ancient ones with no safety bars.

New new.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I had to guess, I'd think Troll is gearing up to replace the main quad right in front of the lodge. It gets a heavy workout every single day and is very tired. I have not seen it break down very often but I'm sure it's had some. If I had to guess I'd say that lift is from the mid 60's. We're talking wood seat center post lift here. Not comfy or really safe.

I know they are making HUGE $$ this year. With all that $$ they're probably thinking now's the time to invest in a new lift that can last them the next 30+ years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online