• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is that the lift with blue colored chairs?

Correct. They have 2 quad chairs. One to the right of the lodge if you're looking up the hill that mainly serves blue and green terrain and the large park over there. Then they also have another very similar quad more directly in front of the lodge that feeds the main black runs used for racing. Both lifts get heavily used, and I'm not sure which they would be replacing to be honest.

They also have a small double chair they only run as needed. The thing is about the fastest fixed grip lift I've ever been on. It's pretty fun actually. They only run it on Saturday and Sunday's when they are really busy. I highly doubt they'd be replacing this lift, but this lift could actually be the oldest one they have there. Not sure to be honest...

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like Trollhaugen ordered a new lift for this summer. Wonder if it will be for expansion or replace one of their existing (ancient) lifts.

Wow, great news! Seems like they're having a really busy year, glad to see they're in a good enough spot to reinvest.

Correct. They have 2 quad chairs. One to the right of the lodge if you're looking up the hill that mainly serves blue and green terrain and the large park over there. Then they also have another very similar quad more directly in front of the lodge that feeds the main black runs used for racing. Both lifts get heavily used, and I'm not sure which they would be replacing to be honest.

They also have a small double chair they only run as needed. The thing is about the fastest fixed grip lift I've ever been on. It's pretty fun actually. They only run it on Saturday and Sunday's when they are really busy. I highly doubt they'd be replacing this lift, but this lift could actually be the oldest one they have there. Not sure to be honest...

The double is fast! Probably about 20 years ago now, my sister had a bad load on that lift and got launched pretty far. She was probably all of 45 pounds at the time...

I really like the unique characteristics of the main quad at Troll. It seems to be well cared for and has a lot of character. But I would understand if they felt the need to replace it to ensure reliability and keep maintenance costs down.

I wonder if they would consider replacing the double to provide additional capacity on their primary runs? Or putting up a new lift on the terrain that's currently only served by rope tow on the far east end?

Some of us discussed potential Troll expansion on this forum last season... the owners control a ton of land all around the existing hill, but at a glance it didn't look like there was much vertical or consistent skiable slope.

Thankful to even be talking about this after the disastrous end to last season.

Last edited:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I had to guess, I'd think Troll is gearing up to replace the main quad right in front of the lodge. It gets a heavy workout every single day and is very tired. I have not seen it break down very often but I'm sure it's had some. If I had to guess I'd say that lift is from the mid 60's. We're talking wood seat center post lift here. Not comfy or really safe.

I know they are making HUGE $$ this year. With all that $$ they're probably thinking now's the time to invest in a new lift that can last them the next 30+ years...
FYI the two quads were installed in 76 and 77. Old lifts are typically very safe but these lifts were made by Borvig which has had a number of incidents in the last few years which is leading to their rapid replacement. Those incidents include 4 different types of failures: chairs slipping on cable, tower failure, rollback and a depropement. There were about 260 Borvig lifts in North America before they went out of business in 1992 and about half are still around. The below link is one of those incidents and a very similar lift.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI the two quads were installed in 76 and 77. Old lifts are typically very safe but these lifts were made by Borvig which has had a number of incidents in the last few years which is leading to their rapid replacement. Those incidents include 4 different types of failures: chairs slipping on cable, tower failure, rollback and a depropement. There were about 260 Borvig lifts in North America before they went out of business in 1992 and about half are still around. The below link is one of those incidents and a very similar lift.

Great info! I'd have to say the double chair there at Troll is older than these lifts, but again, I doubt they're replacing that lift, or adding a lift over on the extreme eastern portion of the hill that is only rope serviced right now.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, great news! Seems like they're having a really busy year, glad to see they're in a good enough spot to reinvest.

The double is fast! Probably about 20 years ago now, my sister had a bad load on that lift and got launched pretty far. She was probably all of 45 pounds at the time...

I really like the unique characteristics of the main quad at Troll. It seems to be well cared for and has a lot of character. But I would understand if they felt the need to replace it to ensure reliability and keep maintenance costs down.

I wonder if they would consider replacing the double to provide additional capacity on their primary runs? Or putting up a new lift on the terrain that's currently only served by rope tow on the far east end?

Some of us discussed potential Troll expansion on this forum last season... the owners control a ton of land all around the existing hill, but at a glance it didn't look like there was much vertical or consistent skiable slope.

Thankful to even be talking about this after the disastrous end to last season.

Yes I have seen some very bad loads on that lift as well. The way you have to enter the lift, from the side, almost at a 90 degree angle, combined with the speed of the lift and the way it almost immediately picks you up off the ground is a bad combination. Basically the chair sort of 'scoops' you up, and the chairs are pretty high in the air as well. I do not recommend that lift novices to use.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Shaggy's skis will be at Crystal Mountain this Sat for a demo day.

TJ Dutch

TJ Dutch
Skier
Looks like Shaggy's skis will be at Crystal Mountain this Sat for a demo day.

Thanks for the insight. I am hoping they make the trek to Caberfae this season as well. Of all the folks I have spoken too that own them, they are revered. Plus, the opportunity to actually purchase a decent product locally (Boyne City, MI). Even the graphics are starting to grow on me?! Again, thanks.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the insight. I am hoping they make the trek to Caberfae this season as well. Of all the folks I have spoken too that own them, they are revered. Plus, the opportunity to actually purchase a decent product locally (Boyne City, MI). Even the graphics are starting to grow on me?! Again, thanks.
Especially when you can put custom graphics on them too.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well the word from Trollhaugen is that they are actually replacing their old double chair that seldom runs. I'm pretty surprised by this news to be honest and I want to get some 2nd opinions from the owners there on this. My source, who coach's and instructs there, told me they want more uphill capacity and replacing the double with a new quad will give them that going forward.

Some people speculated that they may take the existing double and put it up the runs on the extreme left hand side as you're looking up the hill, where there is only a rope right now. That would make that terrain much more usable in the future.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Good info.

If the old double is in good shape and reinstalled on the east side, that would be nice to see.

It is an interesting decision. It would seem like the new quad, which would presumably be more efficient to operate than the old quad, wouldn't be getting a ton of hours.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good info.

If the old double is in good shape and reinstalled on the east side, that would be nice to see.

It is an interesting decision. It would seem like the new quad, which would presumably be more efficient to operate than the old quad, wouldn't be getting a ton of hours.

Right and with the position of where the double currently is putting a brand new lift right there isn't optimal either. If they plan to run this new left all the time it's a pretty good distance from the lodge and would require walking or a bunch of poling to get to it.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied at Welch yesterday for 4+ hours. Great snow! The recent storm that came though gave them a nice base wow.

A couple of notes: Welch's terrain is so much fun. I want to get season passes there next year even though the drive is longer. The place is just hands down the best area in MN besides Lutsen and possibly Giants Ridge. Yes, it's better than Spirit Mountain IMO. Chicken, Bakki and Lookout all skied excellent, and we lapped them for most of the day. Dan's Dive and was much icier and we only did a few runs over there.

They were serious about mask use, which was nice to see. We were able to get a table inside to warm up and have an app and a drink half way through our day with no issues, but they have VERY little seating available. It's not 50% capacity, it's more like 10% capacity. Don't expect to eat here on the weekend unless you're taking the food to your car or somewhere else outside.

We went to Kings after we skied. If you've never been there it's a must do IMO. Great food, fun atmosphere. Drinks come in huge jars. Haven't been there in 6-7 years, but we'll be back sooner than that.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, we were going to ski Spirit Mountain this Monday but just learned their not open on Monday's and Tuesday's? That is pretty weird... Pretty disappointing to see they can't get enough business to be open 7 days a week in the prime part of the season.

BaconMeCrazy

Booting up
Skier
I was also out at Welch yesterday and hit Kings on the way home. I was planning on hitting the drive thru at Dan's but was happy to see they're open again.

The snow was nice, crowds low, and the sun came out a bit so I could actually see.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new chairs on the east and west quads. I'm glad they upgraded but they still swing/rock/bounce a lot. I almost prefer riding the man eater at this point when it's open. The lifties have been doing a great job this season. Shout out to Vinny!

I still haven't been in MJ yet this year which feels odd. I'm hopeful for a pond skip and a full bump run on Dan's this year.

I hope everyone is having a great season, enjoy the snow.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was also out at Welch yesterday and hit Kings on the way home. I was planning on hitting the drive thru at Dan's but was happy to see they're open again.

The snow was nice, crowds low, and the sun came out a bit so I could actually see.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new chairs on the east and west quads. I'm glad they upgraded but they still swing/rock/bounce a lot. I almost prefer riding the man eater at this point when it's open. The lifties have been doing a great job this season. Shout out to Vinny!

I still haven't been in MJ yet this year which feels odd. I'm hopeful for a pond skip and a full bump run on Dan's this year.

I hope everyone is having a great season, enjoy the snow.

Dang I should have texted you! Was Vinny the guy running the quad that goes up between Lookout and Bakki? If so that guy is awesome... Love that dude.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had some great days at Chestnut this past week including a legit powder day on Tuesday with 6-8" overnight after groomers ran.

Looking to repeat that this weekend now under a storm watch for Sat night into Sun.

Separately it looks like some good snow chances for UP next week with colder temps in long range. Would love for their peak season conditions to get going and last into March since will try another trip up there if so.

BaconMeCrazy

Booting up
Skier
Next time!

Yep, that was Vinny, good guy.
Dang I should have texted you! Was Vinny the guy running the quad that goes up between Lookout and Bakki? If so that guy is awesome... Love that dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.