• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Couldn't agree more about the variety! We ended up booking one more trip and are going to road trip to hit red lodge and terry peak between Christmas and New Years.

Hope it works!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I need one more resort to justify it since only going to Big Powderhorn and could try Tyrol Basin. Not going to ski Little Switz and doubt I get to Granite Peak after going last few years. I'm at the point if going there I'd rather go extra 2 hours north to UP.

So Chestnut or Cascade or Porkies or Devil's Head make me a happy man and join the Indy Pass. C'mon, everyone's doing it!

I've never been to Granite Peak. Do you feel it is worth a ~200 mile drive each way?

We had talked about doing a spring break trip where we go to Granite Peak for a couple days, then drive from there up to Big Powderhorn for a couple days. They are only 145 miles apart...

You could always do the 2 days at Big Powderhorn and then look for some cheaper tickets to do Indianhead or Whitecap for a day to get 3 full days in.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Couldn't agree more about the variety! We ended up booking one more trip and are going to road trip to hit red lodge and terry peak between Christmas and New Years.

Hope it works!

We're also talking about a spring break trip to Terry Peak and Red Lodge. I still have a free Condo to use at Big Sky from last years failed spring break trip however so we're unsure what we want to do at this point.

It's only about 150 miles from Red Lodge to Bozeman so it seems crazy not to go ski Bridger Bowl on that trip and use the free condo.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
Trollhaugen opening up Sunday 12-6 ! They aim to have at least Nisse open and the Tompte tow rope

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't think it is. I much prefer U.P.

Agree with Dwight.

Focker - when I say I doubt I go this year it's also because I was there last few years and this year don't want to do an over night trip there would rather do a day trip here and there to Cascade or Tyrol.

I probably posted this view before, but here it is again. I've skied Granite Peak a lot over the years, prob been there like ten different seasons. The ice and snow conditions always frustrate me, that's prob my main grip. I do like their terrain but only in the upper half, the long run out which covers half the vertical is a joke. So there are ways to ski just the upper half in a midway lift and some of those runs are really fun, but it's like 300' of vert and not 600+.

Throw in the bad snow quality it's why I now would prefer the extra trek up to UP if going for say two nights. But if you've never been maybe do both to try out. Granite Peak has a better lodge and après ski than a lot of Midwest places, though this year may not matter, it has high speed lifts, and although very flat for half it does give you and kids ability to ski nearly 700' of vert when you go from furthest west lift back to base area.

I think issue with snow is the number of skiers plus the dry windy conditions there. The fake snow is just way icier and harder than other places. Then with real snow, they prob get 50" annually compared to the UP snow belt getting 3-4 x more. But this would be for most resorts not in lake effect zones.

We were there last year when we got 8" one night. During storm there were some good stashes, but by next day super icy again. I don't get it, just doesn't hold powder or real snow very well.

If you plan to go maybe see how weather and snow conditions will be.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Hope it works!

Terry Peak is a fun hill especially combined with Deadwood for lodging. BRING MORE MONEY!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with Dwight.

Focker - when I say I doubt I go this year it's also because I was there last few years and this year don't want to do an over night trip there would rather do a day trip here and there to Cascade or Tyrol.

I probably posted this view before, but here it is again. I've skied Granite Peak a lot over the years, prob been there like ten different seasons. The ice and snow conditions always frustrate me, that's prob my main grip. I do like their terrain but only in the upper half, the long run out which covers half the vertical is a joke. So there are ways to ski just the upper half in a midway lift and some of those runs are really fun, but it's like 300' of vert and not 600+.

Throw in the bad snow quality it's why I now would prefer the extra trek up to UP if going for say two nights. But if you've never been maybe do both to try out. Granite Peak has a better lodge and après ski than a lot of Midwest places, though this year may not matter, it has high speed lifts, and although very flat for half it does give you and kids ability to ski nearly 700' of vert when you go from furthest west lift back to base area.

I think issue with snow is the number of skiers plus the dry windy conditions there. The fake snow is just way icier and harder than other places. Then with real snow, they prob get 50" annually compared to the UP snow belt getting 3-4 x more. But this would be for most resorts not in lake effect zones.

We were there last year when we got 8" one night. During storm there were some good stashes, but by next day super icy again. I don't get it, just doesn't hold powder or real snow very well.

If you plan to go maybe see how weather and snow conditions will be.

Good info. My son and I are thinking about going there on a Tuesday and staying the night and then coming back on a Wednesday. 200 miles each way is just a bit too long for a day trip IMO (obviously you could but that's a lot of driving).

I think it would be worth it for us just because we've never been there (or the town in general) and like checking out new areas. The tickets would be free as well obviously which doesn't hurt.

We're already planning a trip to Lutsen to 2 days of skiing, and possibly a trip to the UP as well.

Not sure how many weekend trips I can get in. Both my kids work on the weekends so my older son wants to do some weekday trips. That wouldn't be so bad as I have 5 weeks of vacation to use next year.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, during the week and free, then worth a try. They do have decent train parks too. I

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good info. My son and I are thinking about going there on a Tuesday and staying the night and then coming back on a Wednesday. 200 miles each way is just a bit too long for a day trip IMO (obviously you could but that's a lot of driving).

I think it would be worth it for us just because we've never been there (or the town in general) and like checking out new areas. The tickets would be free as well obviously which doesn't hurt.

We're already planning a trip to Lutsen to 2 days of skiing, and possibly a trip to the UP as well.

Not sure how many weekend trips I can get in. Both my kids work on the weekends so my older son wants to do some weekday trips. That wouldn't be so bad as I have 5 weeks of vacation to use next year.

Nice, enjoy. Yeah 200 mile trip there is perfect for one night. They have good night skiing so you can ski like 2pm to however late you choose then next day and head home. It's right off the highway, convenient, big.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
We have done Granite as a day trip from the metro and it's a bit of a haul, but doable. 4-lane divided highway the entire way is nice. We'll probably do it again this year. I would not do it with young kids.

As others have mentioned, the elevation profile at Granite is a downside. Every run ends like a low green. They do a decent job of putting in rollers or some small jump lines on the lower-slope sections to make it a bit interesting. And it is still a pretty big place by midwestern standards. They have a series of short chutes at the top that are kind of gimmicky but are a fun novelty. Having nearly the entire place served by their three detachable chairs is a huge perk in my book.

Unless there are shutdowns coming, we'll definitely be using at least one of our days at Granite, hopefully both.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice, enjoy. Yeah 200 mile trip there is perfect for one night. They have good night skiing so you can ski like 2pm to however late you choose then next day and head home. It's right off the highway, convenient, big.
The West/tree side closes by 4pm, which is a better area to ski.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Trollhaugen hit capacity and stopped selling tickets at 1:30 today.

Found this photo of the ticket line off Instagram. Yikes.

Screenshot_20201025-140300_Instagram.jpg

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have done Granite as a day trip from the metro and it's a bit of a haul, but doable. 4-lane divided highway the entire way is nice. We'll probably do it again this year. I would not do it with young kids.

As others have mentioned, the elevation profile at Granite is a downside. Every run ends like a low green. They do a decent job of putting in rollers or some small jump lines on the lower-slope sections to make it a bit interesting. And it is still a pretty big place by midwestern standards. They have a series of short chutes at the top that are kind of gimmicky but are a fun novelty. Having nearly the entire place served by their three detachable chairs is a huge perk in my book.

Unless there are shutdowns coming, we'll definitely be using at least one of our days at Granite, hopefully both.

Yeah it certainly seems like a good little 'ski trip'. We always love skiing a new area for the first time, which is a big bonus for us.

Wife and I were talking last night. We're looking at a potential trip over the holidays to Spirit for a day and then onto Big Powderhorn for 2 days. Should be a fun trip. Drive to duluth and ski spirit that day, then after skiing drive to Bessemer to our hotel, then ski BP the next day and stay in the hotel again, then ski that next morning before the 4 hour drive home.

Ideally I'd like to do Lutsen over Christmas, but I don't want to pay the extra $400 for the + pass to do so. We'll need to find a different weekend to do it.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes I went to Trollhaugen yesterday Should have stayed home. I Got cold standing in that line. I made it in right before the cutoff. Got more cold because I stood around waiting more than skiing. I went to Wild mountain on Saturday and it was less crowded.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone here ever ski the Porkies? May get up there for a day or two this winter while skiing elsewhere in the region.

Higher vertical than the Ironwood resorts and not the steepest terrain so probably relatively long runs, right on Lake Superior. It looks like they've been creating glade areas. Are these legit or still heavily wooded? How's the one double diamond (Plunge) that looks like it goes where a lift used to be?

Thanks.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Only 2nd hand information from friends and patrollers. I believe not usually groomed, so on snow days it is good. Be prepared to step back in time for lifts/rope tows. :)

Probably one advantage is not crowded.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Shanty Creek will only operate the Schuss Mt. slopes this season, and not open the Summit slopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online