• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
Hey everyone,

I am a new member of this forum and thought I should share my thoughts on skiing this winter. This is my first season seriously skiing. I scoured Craigslist, Reddit and pretty much every ski website and put together a ragtag group of equipment on my college budget. Unfortunately, I'm rocking theses beasts, but they have done the job so far.

I've skiing been at three hills this year.

The hill I've hit the most is Afton Alps. I bought an Epic College pass and have been around 9 times. I have a wide-open senior year schedule, so I go some Thursdays and almost every Friday. Its been a nice place to practice my skiing, but man does it get old, especially when theres a crowd. I never go when I know there is a crowd, unless there is fresh snow. I can stand the crowds and wait when I'm with some buddies or a couple beers deep, but I can't stand it by myself. I do not like waiting 4-5 minutes in a line to ski a 20 second run. At this point, I see going Afton as an activity like running: it is repetitive, but it gets me outside and in the fresh air. I just shuffle east to west across the mountain, doing each run about two-three times, then head home. I do love the Sallys Valley run. Usually there is nobody there and I ski straight onto the lift everytime.

I also went to Wild Mtn after New Years. It was one of those nights when the moisture had frozen in the trees, so it was very pretty. It is a nice little hill, but a little too small for a non-park skier like me. It is a good deal for students, though. My high school-aged brother got a season pass for $160.

I've also been to Welch Village on a Friday morning. Its a bit more out of the way then Afton from Minneapolis, but I loved it. It is a great hill. The wide blues and blacks right out front are much longer and steeper than Afton's and much more fun. In addition, the back bowl is pretty cool. The runs were a little icy and don't have much of a runout, but there was still lots of powder when I skied through. The lift placement is a little weird, though. I think the best looking runs in the "bowl' aren't off the lift. There is a kind of bowl type shape in the "bowl" area, but the lift services the "Afton highlands"-y terrain there rather than the mini-bowl. Honestly, there is some potential for glades here. I really hope that Ikon buys this places and pours a ton of money. It has much more potential and bones than Afton, and I'd love the ability to be part of a larger pass network. It would further the corporatization of skiing, though, which is kind of worrying, because I like the local flavors each of the resorts have. I love geography and environmental science, so its fun to think about the biomes or ecosystems that each of the hills is part of and makes use of.

I will definitely get the Indy pass next year, but I'm actually thinking about buying it on the $159 spring sale right now. I've never been to Lutsen or Spirit. I don't have class on Thursdays or Fridays and the North Shore is my favorite place in the world, so I have mighty itch to pay $159 right now to ski until the snow is gone.....What do guys think?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey everyone,

I am a new member of this forum and thought I should share my thoughts on skiing this winter. This is my first season seriously skiing. I scoured Craigslist, Reddit and pretty much every ski website and put together a ragtag group of equipment on my college budget. Unfortunately, I'm rocking theses beasts, but they have done the job so far.

The hill I've hit the most is Afton Alps. I bought an Epic College pass and have been around 9 times. I have a wide-open senior year schedule, so I go some Thursdays and almost every Friday. Its been a nice place to practice my skiing, but man does it get old, especially when theres a crowd. I never go when I know there is a crowd, unless there is fresh snow. I can stand the crowds and wait when I'm with some buddies or a couple beers deep, but I can't stand it by myself. I do not like waiting 4-5 minutes in a line to ski a 20 second run. At this point, I see going Afton as an activity like running: it is repetitive, but it gets me outside and in the fresh air. I just shuffle east to west across the mountain, doing each run about two-three times, then head home. I do love the Sallys Valley run. Usually there is nobody there and I ski straight onto the lift everytime.

I also went to Wild Mtn after New Years. It was one of those nights when the moisture had frozen in the trees, so it was very pretty. It is a nice little hill, but a little too small for a non-park skier like me. It is a good deal for students, though. My high school-aged brother got a season pass for $160.

I've also been to Welch Village on a Friday morning. Its a bit more out of the way then Afton from Minneapolis, but I loved it. It is a great hill. The wide blues and blacks right out front are much longer and steeper than Afton's and much more fun. In addition, the back bowl is pretty cool. The runs were a little icy and don't have much of a runout, but there was still lots of powder when I skied through. The lift placement is a little weird, though. I think the best looking runs in the "bowl' aren't off the lift. There is a kind of bowl type shape in the "bowl" area, but the lift services the "Afton highlands"-y terrain there rather than the mini-bowl. Honestly, there is some potential for glades here. I really hope that Ikon buys this places and pours a ton of money. It has much more potential and bones than Afton, and I'd love the ability to be part of a larger pass network. It would further the corporatization of skiing, though, which is kind of worrying, because I like the local flavors each of the resorts have. I love geography and environmental science, so its fun to think about the biomes or ecosystems that each of the hills is part of and makes use of.

I will definitely get the Indy pass next year, but I'm actually thinking about buying it on the $159 spring sale right now. I've never been to Lutsen or Spirit. I don't have class on Thursdays or Fridays and the North Shore is my favorite place in the world, so I have mighty itch to pay $159 right now to ski until the snow is gone.....What do guys think?

First off, welcome to the site. Always good to have another Midwestern in the thread!

I think you'll find that you're going to get sick of all the local hills if you go enough. I've had season passes to Afton, Troll, Wild and Welch at least 2 season each and know them all very well. Welch is easily the best and the hill I find entertains me the most. Yes, it's out of the way, but that extra 20 minutes of driving each way is well worth it, both for terrain variety and lack of crowds over Afton.

Sally's Valley was my secret run when Afton got super crowded as well. I would lap that and Andrea's Highlands (the run to skiers right of Sally's) when I skied there on a busy day. I also found that lift 16 would often have shorter lines, as would some of the Alps lifts. But on a busy day, man, this place can really kill a person's ski desire... I've seen 15+ minute waits here on a Saturday. :geek:

Get the Indy Pass for sure and plan a trip where you ski both Spirit ad Lutsen on the same trip. They are only 90 miles from each other so it's a nice easy weekend destination. IMO Spirit is fun, but I wouldn't want to ski there 2 full days in a row. They have about 6-7 main runs you end up skiing over and over again, and the lines for the high speed quad can at times get very long.

Using the Indy Pass I'd also recommend you check out Big Powderhorn in the UP of Michigan.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Hey everyone,

Sounds like you have the correct attitude for Twin Cities skiing.

Welch is the best--no doubts. If you want to go further head to Spirit and Lutsen.
Making a few laps at the local hill is a great idea--just avoid Saturdays.
Sally's Valley (WTH?) is the best lap at Afton. Relatively hidden.

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
Thank you both for the welcome and advice! Welch Village is definitely more interesting than Afton. What are you guys thinking of this weather thats coming in? Hopefully it doesn't mean the end of the ski season up north :(

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you both for the welcome and advice! Welch Village is definitely more interesting than Afton. What are you guys thinking of this weather thats coming in? Hopefully it doesn't mean the end of the ski season up north :(

I think the hills will make it at least until around March 20th, but after that who knows...

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welch just announced 3/21 as their closing date, and also that they will only stay open until 6:00pm the last week.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Heard a rumor of another new lift coming to Devil's Head this summer. They have not responded to my inquiry about it though.

It was true!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wild Mountain just announced that their schedule beyond 3/15 is 'To Be Determined'. Probably don't want to commit to anything until they see how much rain comes on Wednesday and how badly it hurts their base.

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Man they need to figure things out up there. If Spirit closed that would be a major downgrade to MN skiing as a whole. IMO that's the 2nd best place to ski in the state, if just for the views and après options available in Duluth.

Just having gone there, one thing I hate is the parking situation. With the way they built the lodge, the parking is really far from the lodge and really just a pain. The new parking lot at the bottom should help that situation however.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Please tell me they made a profit this year.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
The upper lodge is such a mess. I don't know what the solution is, but the current setup isn't good.

I also wish they had more runs, or did a better job spreading people across the existing runs. Is there a way to get more people over to Gandy? Or an opportunity to expand to either side?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The upper lodge is such a mess. I don't know what the solution is, but the current setup isn't good.

I also wish they had more runs, or did a better job spreading people across the existing runs. Is there a way to get more people over to Gandy? Or an opportunity to expand to either side?

Yeah that top lodge is just gross. The top floor is just some big empty weird space. Would have been nice if they'd started the place with a nice lodge at the bottom of the hill where there's way more parking. It is way harder to get to the bottom lodge though, especially if you're coming from the south.

Also, the people that work at their ticket counter are pretty dang rude IMO.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Lutsen will be getting about 5" of snow by tomorrow morning. That will help.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Midwestskier's site has a list showing open and closed.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost 2" of heavy snow last night.

Nordic will have last day this Saturday with the skim pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor