• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got back from Lutsen. Good times as usual.

First trip to Lutsen in 4 years. No major changes that I saw. They've installed RFID gates at 3 of the 4 main lifts. That was my first time having to use those gates. Luckily they work fairly well.

The snow was textbook spring conditions. Rock hard in the morning, and then VERY quickly softening up. Everyone was on Moose in the rmoning, and then moved over to Eagle in the afternoon to chase the good snow. By 2:30 the hill was really chewed up and slushy and the skiing became almost dangerous. We saw many newer skiers and boarders take some heavy falls due to the conditions.

Stayed at Caribou Highlands and they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom townhome free of charge. Boy was that ever nice. I think we'll just book one of those next time. The space to let the family spread out was great.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really wish I had brought both pairs of my skis. My oldest son and I were on our GS racing skis. Man, those were hard to ski in the afternoon slop. The tails were catching all over the place on any runs that weren't steep enough to help break them free easily...

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
The larger townhomes at Caribou are great.

It's been a few years, so maybe they've done some work since, but many of the units in the main Caribou lodge (including the smaller townhomes) were very dated and could use some TLC.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The larger townhomes at Caribou are great.

It's been a few years, so maybe they've done some work since, but many of the units in the main Caribou lodge (including the smaller townhomes) were very dated and could use some TLC.

I think the Townhomes are each individually owned and the people rent them out through a deal with Caribou Highlands.

We were supposed to get one of the 'Alpine Elite' condo's which is a little 2 story unit with the living room, Kitchen and bathroom downstairs and then a bedroom upstairs and a loft with a couple single beds.

When we arrived to check in, they said the unit we were going to get was 'recently sold to a new owner' and therefore wasn't available. They gave us a free upgrade to the 3 bedroom as I'm asssuming all the Alpine Elite units were already booked up.

The hill was fairly busy overall, especially on Wednesday. There seemed to be a lot of Twin Cities folks up there on spring break.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost 2" of heavy snow last night.

Nordic will have last day this Saturday with the skim pond.
Took my son for the last time last Saturday. Early the snow was pretty good. was 58 I think when we left just after 2 so it was getting pretty soft, but still fun. Don't think we'll make it out this saturday, going to visit Great Grandma.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
We’re headed up to Lutsen mid next week. Seeing there’s a fair chance of rain between now and then. Hoping conditions don’t deteriorate much in the next few days. First time making the trip. We’re booked to stay at Eagle Ridge.
Any tips to share? Restaurants? Heard about Papa Charlie’s, Cascade Pub, Ole’s, Hippie Taco. Others?
Planning to take up my Rustler 9’s, should I bring something more narrow?
Thanks for any help everyone!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spirit Mountain in Duluth is open this weekend, then closing. They will look if they can open once more next weekend, but not sure.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We’re headed up to Lutsen mid next week. Seeing there’s a fair chance of rain between now and then. Hoping conditions don’t deteriorate much in the next few days. First time making the trip. We’re booked to stay at Eagle Ridge.
Any tips to share? Restaurants? Heard about Papa Charlie’s, Cascade Pub, Ole’s, Hippie Taco. Others?
Planning to take up my Rustler 9’s, should I bring something more narrow?
Thanks for any help everyone!

If you have the room, I'd bring both a narrow and wide ski. Conditions go from needing one to the other fairly quickly.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Great deal, but I really wish Welch's passes connected to something bigger, like the Powder Alliance or Indy Pass.

I agree. Powder Alliance has no areas in Minnesota while the Indy Pass has more connections in the midwest. Indy pass has more variety in the midwest and has access to some solid local areas in the west and east. With Welch you do get access to reduced lodging and pass prices at Lutsen and Gran Tarhgee. In addition to Welch, I buy another pass, Epic or Ikon, and have the ability to ski around the west.

FWIW Powder Alliance looks inserting.....

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
I agree. Powder Alliance has no areas in Minnesota while the Indy Pass has more connections in the midwest. Indy pass has more variety in the midwest and has access to some solid local areas in the west and east. With Welch you do get access to reduced lodging and pass prices at Lutsen and Gran Tarhgee. In addition to Welch, I buy another pass, Epic or Ikon, and have the ability to ski around the west.

Yeah the powder alliance does look intriguing. You could create a luxury Indy Pass/budget Epic Pass by buying the Loveland Pass and using the other resorts on the Powder Alliance.

I stayed in Grand Marais over the weekend to test my car camping setup. Thankfully, it was a success. I did visit the Lutsen ski shop and noticed that they are offering 3 hour "backcountry ski tours." Has anybody done them or know anything about them? I did have an unpleasant drive home, though. I was on my first road trip in my car and was really feeling myself on the Highway 61 expressway near Duluth. Unfortunately, a cop saw me and I got my first ever speeding ticket :(

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think next trip to Lutsen we're going to look into Jan or Feb for it. The last two late March trips we've taken they've had thin coverage... The trips we've done in the past in Jan were way colder, but they had a lot more snow..

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

If Welch joined the Indy Pass that would be pretty cool. We really liked that pass this year and will be doing it next year again for sure.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
I did visit the Lutsen ski shop and noticed that they are offering 3 hour "backcountry ski tours." Has anybody done them or know anything about them?

You must be talking about "Lutsen Recreation", the independent ski shop that's on Ski Hill Rd about halfway between the highway and the resort?

The shop owner there is also the founder of Superior Highland Backcountry (https://superiorhighlandbc.org/), an organization that boosts backcountry skiing in MN. They recently organized successfully to get some areas in Finland State Forest brushed out for backcountry glade skiing. I didn't know they did guided backcountry skiing, but I have seen that they organize group backcountry trips on the southeast portion of Moose Mountain in Superior National Forest. They seem to have been the most vocal opponent to Lutsen's special use permit as well, arguing that Moose Mountain has the best backcountry skiing in the state.

I think it's great that they're trying to build up a backcountry skiing culture in MN. I do think it's unfair the way they're going after Lutsen's expansion, Maybe Moose does have the best backcountry skiing in the state, maybe it doesn't. I'm not an expert, but a ton of the sawtooths are on public land. Even if Moose is the best, there have got to be other spots out there that aren't too far behind. Lutsen on the other hand, is where it is and can't just up and move, they can only expand adjacent to their existing operations, not 20 miles down the road. Especially for someone whose business clearly exists where it does due to feeding off of the skier traffic driven by Lutsen, seems really disingenuous and unfair to be taking the position they are.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think it's great that they're trying to build up a backcountry skiing culture in MN. I do think it's unfair the way they're going after Lutsen's expansion, Maybe Moose does have the best backcountry skiing in the state, maybe it doesn't. I'm not an expert, but a ton of the sawtooths are on public land. Even if Moose is the best, there have got to be other spots out there that aren't too far behind. Lutsen on the other hand, is where it is and can't just up and move, they can only expand adjacent to their existing operations, not 20 miles down the road. Especially for someone whose business clearly exists where it does due to feeding off of the skier traffic driven by Lutsen, seems really disingenuous and unfair to be taking the position they are.

You'd think they'd be all for expansion at Lutsen as it would help their ski shop business. Perhaps they make more money on these backcountry tours than from the shop? Hard to say.

BaconMeCrazy

Booting up
Skier
Ooh, I would really like a snow report. Considering taking the family up there the week of April 5th.

Thanks!

Coverage is getting thin but there are still a lot of runs open. The snow quality on Saturday wasn't the best but it snowed during the evening made for nice conditions on Sunday. I was surprised at the crowds Sunday, more than I expected. We were always able to find a decent parking spot so the walk wasn't too bad. Papa Charlie's was completely closed, no take out or reservations available. Mogul's was open via reservation.

The traffic headed toward Lutsen last night was crazy, lots of vehicles with roof boxes and ski racks. I think a lot of people are making their last run up there for the season. Maybe spring break traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor