• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Coverage is getting thin but there are still a lot of runs open. The snow quality on Saturday wasn't the best but it snowed during the evening made for nice conditions on Sunday. I was surprised at the crowds Sunday, more than I expected. We were always able to find a decent parking spot so the walk wasn't too bad. Papa Charlie's was completely closed, no take out or reservations available. Mogul's was open via reservation.

The traffic headed toward Lutsen last night was crazy, lots of vehicles with roof boxes and ski racks. I think a lot of people are making their last run up there for the season. Maybe spring break traffic?

I wonder if that's Indy Pass people trying to get their free trip in up there...

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It those people that don't water ski and going to Florida. :)

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! I'm a little worried we'll be skiing on a lot of rocks if we go up in a week, but on the other hand skiing on rocks is better than not skiing!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This week snow should hold up. Temps in the mid teens for lows. I think the bigger issue will be rain next week. Maybe they get lucky and it is more snow than rain.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wild Mtn, had a fire in their maintenance shop this morning. No injures but equipment probably totaled.

amjgt

Booting up
Skier
Lutsen announced their Legendary pass that goes on sale 4/1 - Season pass for Both Lutsen Mtn and Granite Peak.

I'm a long-time Lutsen season pass holder (Live in Mpls). I've never skied Granite Peak, but to me it looks decent. Maybe a slightly larger version of Moose Mountain. Probably worth skiing a long weekend there if we have the pass. The price is what got my attention though. For my family of four, at the early-bird rate (after tax) it would be about $3000.

Just for some reference, I went back an looked at the cost the previous two seasons
2019/20 - $1500
2020/21 - $2200

It could be that a regular season pass (only Lutsen) will be down in that 2020/21 price range, but this Legendary Pass is all I have to go on so far. So I've got some thoughts.

I understand price increases. I understand a price increase for the unknown of the 2020/21 season. And I definitely got my money's worth. BUT...
They've now entered themselves into a different stratosphere. If you're going to double your price over two seasons you damn well better be offering a premium product (or more premium than before). And frankly, in 2020/21 they weren't.

But I'm an understanding guy. I'm willing to give them a pass for anything that happened in 2020/21. But here are some things that a PREMIUM resort experience would offer going forward

a) You don't get to shut down 10th Mountain lift mid week to save a few bucks
b) Your Moose Mtn glades, which were absolute trash this season (only partially because of the lack of snow), had better be freaking pristine next season
c) I wouldn't mind an update update on the expansion. It's been almost a full year since the last update
d) You better invest in some more snowmaking equipment because the dates when some of your runs opened this year were really bad. I mean Cougar and Grizzly didn't open until late January, Adrenaline was just after that, Free Fall was open sporadically for like 2 weeks, and The Plunge never opened.

When I was paying $1500 I was willing to overlook some of these shortcomings but if you're going to double your price, then I'm done overlooking this stuff.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can't believe there's still some skiing in the Midwest, lucky you guys for those able to get up to Lutsen and other places over the past week or two.

All in all was an incredible of year for skiing. Thanks COVID?!? Got about 20 days in, and finished the year in style with 5 awesome days in CO last week. Snowed every day, about 20-24" total over the time there.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm headed up north for one last hurrah in Northern Michigan. Going to hit up Nubs for a final few days. Tomorrow looks like it will be mid-winter temps then return to spring skiing temps for Fri & Sat.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if that's Indy Pass people trying to get their free trip in up there...
And also the fact that Spirit and other are hills are already closed early this year, where they would be open in a normal year.
And people skipping western trips this year.
All leading to more people for Lutsen(I would guess)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
And also the fact that Spirit and other are hills are already closed early this year, where they would be open in a normal year.
And people skipping western trips this year.
All leading to more people for Lutsen(I would guess)

Agreed on all counts. Hopefully Lutsen made a fortune this year, and can replace a lift coming up, or at least run them all 7 days a week.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This week snow should hold up. Temps in the mid teens for lows. I think the bigger issue will be rain next week. Maybe they get lucky and it is more snow than rain.
Thanks for the info. Decided not to go due to the rain. Hoping to squeeze in a quick two days of skiing out west still this month. Perhaps a SLC trip or Mary Jane/WP or Arapahoe Basin.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
We skied Lutsen for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was worth it after we finally arrived. It’s a long ride from Chicago but next time might try to break it up with a stop along the way. Wouldn’t have considered it previously without an Indy pass.

Moose Mountain was almost our own hill for many runs.
807661BF-1DCE-4E39-98EE-17BF243CE5E3.jpeg

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's great. I skied Spirit for a couple of days this year with my kids and had a blast. The last time I skied there was the Atmore FIS race in 1993, and I remembered it being pretty flat. Which is not totally wrong but it's still a fun area and I really want it to keep operating!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's great. I skied Spirit for a couple of days this year with my kids and had a blast. The last time I skied there was the Atmore FIS race in 1993, and I remembered it being pretty flat. Which is not totally wrong but it's still a fun area and I really want it to keep operating!

We loved our 1 day there this year a ton. I love how many of the trails have little rollers and different pitches all over them. Most MN trails don't offer that very often.

It's a big part of the reason we want to get the Indy Pass again next year.

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
Finally some good news for Spirit: https://www.startribune.com/duluth-...plans-to-add-new-lounge-skate-rink/600045421/ .

Revenue up 17% combined with cost cutting allowed them to turn a profit. Planning to add a skating rink by the lower chalet, add more mountain bike trails, improve beginner ski area, add new bar.

I noticed that the strib article mentions that Spirit will follow some of the consultants recommendations, like "recommendations by hiring "guest ambassadors" to check every ticket on every lift; increasing ticket, pass and rental prices except for midweek at the Adventure Park;"

honestly, i dont see raising ticket prices as the best move, when they have competition across the border at Mont du Lac. sure, if prices go up a little bit, the core of dedicated skiers and park rats will remain, but i dont see how they will have any chance of increasing their volume of beginner skier/boarders. i'm a bit skeptical about next year's volume keeping this year's COVID bump. look at any other ski-area, resort or not, or out west or local, they are trying to bring more beginners in.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I noticed that the strib article mentions that Spirit will follow some of the consultants recommendations, like "recommendations by hiring "guest ambassadors" to check every ticket on every lift; increasing ticket, pass and rental prices except for midweek at the Adventure Park;"

honestly, i dont see raising ticket prices as the best move, when they have competition across the border at Mont du Lac. sure, if prices go up a little bit, the core of dedicated skiers and park rats will remain, but i dont see how they will have any chance of increasing their volume of beginner skier/boarders. i'm a bit skeptical about next year's volume keeping this year's COVID bump. look at any other ski-area, resort or not, or out west or local, they are trying to bring more beginners in.

Agreed. I do think that Spirits day ticket prices are pretty low, especially when you compare them to other local ski hills. Troll and Welch are both more expensive, as an example.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Spirit already offers a lower rate for season passes for Duluth residents right? I wonder if they would consider something similar for day passes, keep day tickets at the existing price for residents of St. Louis and Carlton counties. Maybe whatever county Superior is in too. I don't see a lot of out of town traffic being driven away by a $10-15 increase in ticket prices, but it could definitely have an impact on casual locals skiers.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

their exercising the recommendations from consultants are often tied to expectations by those floating money to the business.

the idea that their being supported by public money may simply leave them limited choice and hope the consultants know what they're suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online