• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not quite Midwest, but I am, so . . .

From Searchmont's FB page:

After extensive consideration, Searchmont Resort has made the decision to not begin our regular snowmaking process this season due to the significant cost and so many variables surrounding the Coronavirus.

If we receive enough natural snow to open, we will review the condition of the hill at that time; please keep in mind that our terrain is part of the Canadian Shield and requires significant snowfall for proper coverage for safety reasons. Our historical data indicates that this would likely not occur until into January but will update everyone as the season progresses.

Any plans in regards to potentially opening will be based on the Covid-19 situation at that time and what restrictions are currently in place. Please note however that our accommodation rentals will not be available this season due to renovations and season passes are not being sold at this time.

We thank you for your continued support and would like everyone to know that we hope to be able to support the local community by providing a fun outdoor activity this winter, the outcome of which now depends on the pandemic situation and what Mother Nature decides to provide us with this season – think snow!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone here ever ski the Porkies? May get up there for a day or two this winter while skiing elsewhere in the region.

Higher vertical than the Ironwood resorts and not the steepest terrain so probably relatively long runs, right on Lake Superior. It looks like they've been creating glade areas. Are these legit or still heavily wooded? How's the one double diamond (Plunge) that looks like it goes where a lift used to be?

Thanks.

I've never skied there but I've stood at the bottom of the hill and looked up. It is a fun looking hill. Great views of the lake as well. Its pretty far from anything I will say, and likely not very crowded.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Searchmont I assume relies heavily on Detroit/MI revenue and until they open border that's gone. It's a hike from Toronto plus Blue Mtn is much closer to there.

Things are moving straight backwards here in Illinois, hope other states stay open and don't freak after a one week of spiking numbers. Can't even imagine still being locked down in the spring going on a second year.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Searchmont I assume relies heavily on Detroit/MI revenue and until they open border that's gone. It's a hike from Toronto plus Blue Mtn is much closer to there.

Things are moving straight backwards here in Illinois, hope other states stay open and don't freak after a one week of spiking numbers. Can't even imagine still being locked down in the spring going on a second year.

I do worry about skiing with these spiking numbers in the mid-west... Seems like the deal Trollhaugen had with limiting ticket sales could be pretty common. I plan on skiing very few Saturday and Sundays this year due to that reason.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I do worry about skiing with these spiking numbers in the mid-west... Seems like the deal Trollhaugen had with limiting ticket sales could be pretty common.

That's my concern this year.......Welch (home hill) and Buck have mentioned severe restrictions around customer services this season. No bags inside, limited concession sales, limited seating, etc......I've been in Minneapolis for 4 years and have logged some decent days 18-20 at Welch. While the skiing here is what it is at the moment am having a tough time getting excited about the upcoming season.

ADDvanced

Full Jerry
Skier
Yeah dudes.... pretty bummed about this season. I doubt I'll even go anywhere. My local hill is Little Switzerland, which is located in Washington County, just outside of Brewtown. The people around here do not give a crap about the Rona.

Because they're trying to not offend their customers, they have no mask requirements unless you're in the building, but not if you are eating or drinking. This basically means no masks indoors.

The lift lines get absolutely jam packed with unsupervised kids, and sometimes the lines are 5 lines wide, all right next to each other. I pointed out that pretty much every friggin resort out west has a mask policy to be on the premises, but Little Switz doesn't care at all.

They said you have skis on so you'll be 6 ft apart. Which again, CDC guidelines state 6ft apart AND wearing masks, and even if you are 6 ft from the person in front or back,there will be another line right next to you, or on both sides of you.

Pretty pissed.

So.....I bought some cross country skis. Guess imma learn how to shred on those in the kettle moraine, idk.

Moderator Edit: Took out political commentary
Per posting guidelines: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/posting-guidelines.78/

Last edited by a moderator:

ADDvanced

Full Jerry
Skier
I do like their terrain but only in the upper half, the long run out which covers half the vertical is a joke. So there are ways to ski just the upper half in a midway lift and some of those runs are really fun, but it's like 300' of vert and not 600+.

That is EXACTLY why I hate that place. Every time I've gone, I do one run and think wow I was wrong about this place, it's awesome! And then on the bottom half I'm stuck using my poles to XC to the lift. They should have just put all the lifts further up that slight incline, would have made the whole place 100x better.

Whitecap > that

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah dudes.... pretty bummed about this season. I doubt I'll even go anywhere. My local hill is Little Switzerland, which is located in Washington County, just outside of Brewtown. The people around here do not give a crap about the Rona.

Because they're trying to not offend their customers, they have no mask requirements unless you're in the building, but not if you are eating or drinking. This basically means no masks indoors.

The lift lines get absolutely jam packed with unsupervised kids, and sometimes the lines are 5 lines wide, all right next to each other. I pointed out that pretty much every friggin resort out west has a mask policy to be on the premises, but Little Switz doesn't care at all.

They said you have skis on so you'll be 6 ft apart. Which again, CDC guidelines state 6ft apart AND wearing masks, and even if you are 6 ft from the person in front or back,there will be another line right next to you, or on both sides of you.

Pretty pissed.

So.....I bought some cross country skis. Guess imma learn how to shred on those in the kettle moraine, idk.
This is their policy, seem in line with state guidelines.

ADDvanced

Full Jerry
Skier
Sure. But given the general tone of this area, that means no mask usage outside, at all.

And given how crowded/crammed the lift lines get..... social distancing is effectively impossible. Basically a covid super spreader event at the bottom of every lift, with no mask requirement. With masks, and lift lines spread apart, it would be possible to do this safely....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did some clean up of political commentary.
Please note from our posting guidelines:
Politics, Religion, and Hot Topics
This is a community for talking about skis, skiing, and everything related to skis and skiing. Discussion about subjects such as global warming as it relates to skiing will be allowed so long as it remains respectful and healthy; however, general discussion about politics, religion, and hot topics will not be allowed. We reserve the right to define these categories.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did some clean up of political commentary.
Please note from our posting guidelines:
Politics, ......hot topics will not be allowed. We reserve the right to define these categories.
Debbie Downer!! ;)

on fun note ... I tried talking my kid into buying house for sale whose back yard opened up on Little Switzerland but failed. She worked one season there but it (2017/18?) was a poor snow year and many weekends were closed due to cold horrid weather. Now her job keeps her from working there ... besides the likely issues with Covid.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I expect things will change in the coming months, just like things have changed in the past few months.
This will be the year of being flexible.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I expect things will change in the coming months, just like things have changed in the past few months.
This will be the year of being flexible.
there's the pessimist/optimist joke on the glass half empty or half full where I as an engineer should say its twice too big. Sadly I'm thinking our ski glass is half empty and getting more empty as the weeks go on.

:(

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
How about those Kastle skis that Ivanka and her family ski on, say what you want they have good taste in skis!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How about those Kästle skis that Ivanka and her family ski on, say what you want they have good taste in skis!!!
Don't make me roll up the newspaper and whap you on the nose. :D

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Long way out but looks like colder temps arriving in like ten days and hopefully here to stay into December. Freezing temps in coming days at least in resorts further north but then warm again for several days first. So at least with a 3-4 hr radius from Chicago we won't be skiing anytime soon.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is their policy, seem in line with state guidelines.
Little Switzerland is where my wife learned to ski in the 70's while in junior high. She grew up between Cedarburg and Jackson, and went to West Bend West High.

She also has talked about a place called Hard Scrabble near Lake Shawano where her friends would visit because one parent had a cold water cabin there. Brrh! Ever hear of it? I think a lot of underage drinking was involved.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Little Switzerland is where my wife learned to ski in the 70's while in junior high. She grew up between Cedarburg and Jackson, and went to West Bend West High.

She also has talked about a place called Hard Scrabble near Lake Shawano where her friends would visit because one parent had a cold water cabin there. Brrh! Ever hear of it? I think a lot of underage drinking was involved.

I have not heard of it. A quick search shows it up by Rice Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor